Abandoned Matches

GMAC72

I played in a match before Christmas which was abandoned by the match referee, who alleges she was called a useless c u n t by a player who had already been red carded.

We were 1-0 in a two legged cup semi final, with 40 minutes to play!!

The league has decided that the result of the match at the time of the stoppage stands, and we will still play the 2nd leg. We were thinking about just getting the 2nd leg abandoned after a couple of minutes, and by the precedent set, we should then be in the final!?

Not whining, but looking for opinions or knowledge of the rules on this? I always thought an abandoned game was a 3-0 win, if the match had reached 60 mins?

Take it, it was an opposition player that got sent off? Thought it stood after 70 mins but no experience with a 2 leg game

I played in a match before Christmas which was abandoned by the match referee, who alleges she was called a useless c u n t by a player who had already been red carded.

We were 1-0 in a two legged cup semi final, with 40 minutes to play!!

The league has decided that the result of the match at the time of the stoppage stands, and we will still play the 2nd leg. We were thinking about just getting the 2nd leg abandoned after a couple of minutes, and by the precedent set, we should then be in the final!?

Not whining, but looking for opinions or knowledge of the rules on this? I always thought an abandoned game was a 3-0 win, if the match had reached 60 mins?

Does a game not have to be at least on the 70 minute mark before a result stands on the abandoned game

I blame the schools, 40 minutes to go, but you think your team should get a 3-0 victory if the match is abandoned if the match reached 60 minutes.
90-40 = 50 minutes.

IMO the winner of the other sporting semi final should be declared winners of the cup.;)

I blame the schools, 40 minutes to go, but you think your team should get a 3-0 victory if the match is abandoned if the match reached 60 minutes.
90-40 = 50 minutes.

IMO the winner of the other sporting semi final should be declared winners of the cup.;)

I wasnt claiming a victory of 3-0. Just wondered what the rules were around matches abandoned. Its random that they seem to have made rules to suit themselves

The International Football Association Board Laws of the Game 2019/20 in Law 07 par 5. titled Abandoned match states:
An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise.​

So the question is what competition rules applied, but it would seem that ultimately it is up to the organisers to decided.

To be fair we've had a few threads in here looking to address the abuse referees get. Fair play to her if she went %^*& you back, games a bogey.

As for the OP, they basically make it up as they go along at that level.

So hold on. You guys missed out on 40 minutes against 10 men??

How is that fair?

That was our point! What's to stop other teams thinking, sack this well get the game abandoned when they're down to 10 or behind in games! We weren't looking for a walk over, but would have hopefully have had a bit more of a comfortable lead going in to the 2nd leg!

To be fair we've had a few threads in here looking to address the abuse referees get. Fair play to her if she went %^*& you back, games a bogey.

As for the OP, they basically make it up as they go along at that level.

They've hardly backed her though, and it's likely to just continue to be let's abuse the ref now that theres virtually zero repercussion!

That was our point! What's to stop other teams thinking, sack this well get the game abandoned when they're down to 10 or behind in games! We weren't looking for a walk over, but would have hopefully have had a bit more of a comfortable lead going in to the 2nd leg!
The game is sleepwalking into a minefield at the moment with this abandon games nonsense.

Players and teams (and now refs) should never be able to abandon a game unless under extreme circumstances. ie. where players at under threat of injury. And even then, only the Referee or fourth official should have that power.

Allowing people to choose to do so just for being 'offended' is a recipe for disaster and false claims for the purpose of cheating.

There is nothing that can't be dealt with retrospectively with evidence to back it up. No need to stop matches.

The game is sleepwalking into a minefield at the moment with this abandon games nonsense.

Players and teams (and now refs) should never be able to abandon a game unless under extreme circumstances. ie. where players at under threat of injury. And even then, only the Referee or fourth official should have that power.

Allowing people to choose to do so just for being 'offended' is a recipe for disaster and false claims for the purpose of cheating.

There is nothing that can't be dealt with retrospectively with evidence to back it up. No need to stop matches.
The guy who was sent off refused to leave the pitch initially and continued to abuse the ref from the side of the pitch when he eventually went off. All of this was in the space of a few minutes.

The guy who was sent off refused to leave the pitch initially and continued to abuse the ref from the side of the pitch when he eventually went off. All of this was in the space of a few minutes.
Seems like a total over reaction to me.

But on the other hand people shouldn't be getting abused at their work. But if thats to be the new approach then clubs and players should be given fair warning and advised first then the rules applied consistently across the whole sport. Not just willy nilly when someone feels like it.

Firstly, in my opinion, The Referee was quite within her rights to abandon the game after she had sent him off and continued to receive further threatening verbal abuse.
Secondly, again in my opinion, the League should've eliminated the team for failing to control the player whose actions caused the match to be abandoned. The League decision has shown no credibility or backing to the Referee. This has caused the OP to ask his question when everyone should've been left in no doubt of the consequences
I had been involved in a league deciding game when this happened. The offending team lost 3-0 ' it was 0-0 at the time,and deducted 3 points. As a result they lost the league. At the FA hearing the said player was suspended for 112 Days and fined £106. He never played for that team again

90-40 = 50 minutes.

They had 40 minutes to play against 10 men.

I'm not sure what the rules say but leaving it at 1-0 in a 2 legged tie is bullshit.

The match was abandoned due to the actions of one of your own players. Think yourself lucky to be 1 up and play the second leg. Is this a ladies match?

Don’t like the way football is going. Under these circumstances I believe she should have given a further red card and reported the player. A lengthy ban should follow. Unless he threatened her or gave an extended period of abuse it appears she overreacted. Did she warn she was going to abandon?

Just last week at Millwall the ref took the players off, the tannoy announced due to racist abuse then it wasn’t, it was (interpreted as being) homophobic. I may be wrong but this wasn’t a section of the crowd, it was one guy. Taking the teams off and abandoning games due to people’s feelings being hurt at football. Really?

But on another note, the ref abandoned a game of football because she was called a c*nt? Fck me
It would depend on how it is said.
If we were in company and I jokingly called you a cnt you would probably laugh. Comedians do that for a living. No problem
On another occasion you may retort with " who are you calling a cnt" (Tensions are now raised)
But if I screamed to you that you are a cnt. I would be expecting a belt on the jaw at least. It has now escalated even further.
In all 3 scenarious I have used the same words

I fully expect The Filth to be the first try this at Ibrox in the future! AND be praised for their actions.

Back