Aberdeen Semi Final - Umar Sadiq

Goity

That game was there for the taking and the only one to blame for that was the gaffer :/

If we had went in with a countering game and shut up shop looking to take them to a replay when we had a better selection avail or even nick a win we'd have fared much better. Out-boringed them, so to speak.

Sadiq was shite, 100% Medube, MIddleton would have been much better options imo.

Coza

I thought Grezda having just played two games as a striker for Albania prior to the semi final was the obvious choice without Morelos and Lafferty.

With hind sight and the way he has shined in the reserves in that role Middleton might have been the option.

mark hateley

Official Ticketer
Tbh I may be remembering it wrongly but I can't remember Dallas or Middleton being really discussed as viable options at the time.

From what I recall the debate at the time on here was play Sadiq or play Grezda as a false 9. Neither is ideal.
I think we got to as far as Kent being in that role but never discussed Middleton or Dallas.

inverbear112

Big umar lad you had the chance to slot it home but dived instead , he’d of been an instant hero and nothing that followed would’ve mattered if he’d just scored that goal!

tazzabear

If the question is did the manager do the right thing playing Sadiq then the answer is clearly no he didn't. Posted on a thread the other day I'd have liked to have seen Middleton.
The manager at the time possibly viewed that as a risk but I'd have said even before the game it was a bigger risk playing Sadiq as although he was down as a striker he was clearly a lump of wood.
Did you say at the time?
Reasoning asking as I did and I can’t remember anybody agreeing with me!

Bordersbear

Official Ticketer
When listening to the team on the way to the game I thought hell what has he done and then came round to the fact that perhaps playing a recognised striker was maybe the best way forward so to speak.

But his performance was absolutely abysmal for a professional football player. As others have said the entire team just never got to grips with the game against a mediocre Aberdeen side. A very bad day at the office all round.

Beer Belly Loyal

When we beat Rapid early in October, it's safe to say we realised this was going to be a memorable season, everything was on (I did anyway). That defeat at Hampden just 3 weeks later was a kick in the haw maws and we never reached that 'feelgood feeling' again after that.
A sorry loss that day.

hammer17

Official Ticketer
The big mistake was playing Alfie against Ayr imo
it wasn't. we didn't have Defoe at the time remember and Lafferty was cup tied

Ayr United were top of the championship and good for it

The job in hand was making sure we beat Ayr and got to the semi final, yes we beat them comfortably but it was never a given before the game started

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Sorry but the blame lies solely on Gerrard. Had Morelos on the pitch to pick up an unjust booking ruling him out. Bought a cup tied player in Lafferty. Kept the only other alternative on the bench with no game time and no sharpness whatsoever.

Sadiq was always going to be the fall guy if we never won that game, and sure enough he was, reality is he had more of an excuse for failing than any other player that night. He’s obviously a bit shite, but it wasn’t his fault. And given we lost, you could put more but of the blame on the defence for conceding such a pathetic goal.

ElBarrileteCosmico

He was our number 9.

God, it’s been a long season. Genuinely laughed out loud at his ‘highlights’ reel. Got called a Tim for saying he looked shite, because others “had a feeling”.

Not quite sure how we’ve ended up signing Umar Sadiq, Andy Firth and Jermaine Defoe in the same season.
“There’s a player in there”.... the cry in here for every shite player ever.

The only bigger mark of death is people posting mad stats like goals per minute or harking back to international caps.

thetoptier

When we beat Rapid early in October, it's safe to say we realised this was going to be a memorable season, everything was on (I did anyway). That defeat at Hampden just 3 weeks later was a kick in the haw maws and we never reached that 'feelgood feeling' again after that.
A sorry loss that day.
well we did at new year

and did the exact same thing a few weeks after that and fucked it away at kilmarnock

RabSpackman

Shouldn’t have risked Morelos in the Ayr game - even at that point he was a yellow card waiting to happen.

Sadiq... my 8yr old pisses himself laughing at this guy and asks why Rangers had such a bad striker.
Sadiq makes Kevin Kyle looks like a stalwart for Rangers.

Sapien

I seem to remember Sadiq not having much created for him in that match. The dice was about the only sniff he got all game. As had been our problem for a lot of the season, the midfield failed to create chances.

Zapp Brannigan

It was my opinion at the time, and still is, that Gerrard decided Sadiq would sink or swim on that one game. In his mind I think he already thought it would be sink. Which makes it more baffling.

Sadiq was pretty much thrown under the bus. But as others have said, playing Morelos in the previous tie was probably what cost us more.

Walt Longmire

It was just a bump in the road - or leaves on the railtrack? - in Stevie's developement as a manager.

Like other setbacks this season it's a fine line between success and failure. Sadiq could easily have scored a goal, even a lucky goal, and been a hero. But he didn't.

That's football.

Paisleyprod

Official Ticketer
Sadiq was shite in that game. He ran about but was shite.

The sheep got lucky too.

And Sadiq was shite

ElBarrileteCosmico

It was just a bump in the road - or leaves on the railtrack? - in Stevie's developement as a manager.

Like other setbacks this season it's a fine line between success and failure. Sadiq could easily have scored a goal, even a lucky goal, and been a hero. But he didn't.

That's football.
It wasn’t a fine line though. He was atrocious. A comedy player.