Aberdeen set to apply for Government loan.

ssblue

Aberdeen are set to apply for a Government crisis loan as fears grow that fans may not be back inside Scottish football grounds by the start of next season.

Record Sport understands chairman Dave Cormack will press the button on the emergency bailout once the final details of the terms and conditions are finally cleared up.

But as the Covid crisis deepens across the game League One and League Two are preparing for at least another month of lockdown - with clubs in the Highland and Lowland Leagues now on the verge of declaring the current campaign null and void.

All 12 top flight clubs can claim around £1.7million of funding from Holyrood in order to survive without match day income but not a penny of that £20m pot has been released despite weeks of talks between the Government and SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell.

However, those discussions are now at an advanced stage and Aberdeen will be among the first to accept the financial package as the crippling financial consequences of the coronavirus pandemic begin to bite hard.

Cormack released a video message to the club’s fans on Wednesday in which he painted an alarmingly gloomy picture and expressed doubt over whether or not next season’s Premiership will even be able to kick off as scheduled in August.

In the social media post Cormack said: “I made a commitment that we would be as transparent as we can be with things around the club - the financials and any information that we can give. But it has to be based on facts and it has to be based on data.

“I’m asking you to be patient and the reason I’m asking you to be patient is because right now my focus, the board’s focus, the management team’s focus is on the financial sustainability of the club because we’ve still got hardly any income and who knows when income will come back?

“Will we be able to announce a new season that’s going to start in August of this year?

“This great club has never gone bust in 117 years and it’s certainly not going to do so on my watch, without us pulling out all the stops to get through this.”

And, following Nicola Sturgeon’s daily Covid briefing yesterday, sources close to the Pittodrie chief doubled down on the chairman’s message.

One told us: “Aberdeen are a well run club and we will get through this. We have insurance which will cover some of the losses caused by the pandemic and we also brought in £3m from the sale of Scott McKenna. That puts us in a better place than many others.

“But, even so, our financial projections show we expect £10m income with costs running at £5m. You don’t need to be a chartered accountant to work out what that means.

“The Government loan will also help the club to get through this but let’s be very clear here, all of Scottish football should be absolutely frightened right now about what lies ahead.”

Last edited:
I can see the Mccrorie deal falling through there really struggling pittodrie costing them 1 million a year to maintain and they've not even made a start to there new ground off the back off finishing the training ground i think mcinnes will walk in the summer as he was told he wouldn't be able to bring players in this month. And there's still a chance he could lose Ferguson or cosgrove this month if not then in the summer.

“This great club has never gone bust in 117 years and it’s certainly not going to do so on my watch, without us pulling out all the stops to get through this.”
Quite a telling line. Goes from pride (never gone bust), to reassurance (we won't go bust) to uncertainty (we'll really try hard not to).

Doesn't paint a positive picture for them, but they will be far from alone in all this.

Maybe if they had got rid of Donkeycaster, Scottish football would have a far more appropriate TV deal. A few million a season for a game, due to being on Sky, has the same potential audience as the EPL and Championship is a joke.

You can't tell me if they had someone like James Bisgrove in charge they wouldn't be getting vastly more money than they currently are.

They owe us money for McCrorie and Hayes deferred a seasons wages when he signed that they will owe to him come the summer.

If they are really struggling, we should be offering money to bring in Wright before the end of the window. It they reject it, it will show that they don't need this loan.

See loan above
Imagine that money will be to cover wages and running costs etc, and it won't be enough to sanction a 350k summer spend for a player.

Expect the likes of Ferguson, Cosgrove, Lewis to follow the boy Wright out the door in the summer. Maybe then, McInnes (if still there !!) will be given a few bob to scramble about for more free transfers and loans.

Said it on the Killie thread on the same topic - I think ALL top flight clubs, including our own, will apply for the loans. Helps relieve the burden, albeit temporarily.

“Will we be able to announce a new season that’s going to start in August of this year?

Eh, why would we not?

Not going to laugh as it is affecting us all. Dundee united had to ask their fans to empty the piggy bank too.

Celtic are in a real financial mess Im told and the frimpong money will help but not sort.

Ourselves need funds too and we can only thank SG in Europe and for as good as delivering champions league potential funds next season to help balance the books. Make no mistake we have relied heavily on our investors and I would love nothing more than to see their investment flourish.

Meanwhile over the road if you invested £1 in celtic last year it is now worth 63p

A couple of things, I hope we wait until the summer for Wright, I don’t want my money going to Aberdeen, I want Aberdeen DEAD! I want them to go through what we did, but worse. I genuinely want lots of our enemies to go bust, start at level 4, work your way up.

bitter? You bet I am, I would love to see them go bust.

They owe us money for McCrorie and Hayes deferred a seasons wages when he signed that they will owe to him come the summer.

If they are really struggling, we should be offering money to bring in Wright before the end of the window. It they reject it, it will show that they don't need this loan.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Wright comes with no money changing hands, just a reduction on the McCrorie price.

The clearly aren’t in a great place.

Surely we could get Wright cheaper if we have cash available now? Alternatively, they might go bust by the end of the season which would be funnier. I’m torn.

Is there any concern of clubs going bust this season? To the point where the league can’t be finished because a few clubs have. This loan has been announced months ago when are they actually gonna give it out

A couple of things, I hope we wait until the summer for Wright, I don’t want my money going to Aberdeen, I want Aberdeen DEAD! I want them to go through what we did, but worse. I genuinely want lots of our enemies to go bust, start at level 4, work your way up.

bitter? You bet I am, I would love to see them go bust.
I’m with you on that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wright comes with no money changing hands, just a reduction on the McCrorie price.

The clearly aren’t in a great place.
Will they be able to even afford McCrorie?

Seem to be in the minority but would love him to return to the club.

Is there any concern of clubs going bust this season? To the point where the league can’t be finished because a few clubs have. This loan has been announced months ago when are they actually gonna give it out
The sooner they go bust the better, 3-0 wins all round! Hopefully it’s after septic play them twice.

Probably an irrelevant question, but who is more important to them, McCrorie or Wright?

Don't watch any of there games.
I’d say McCrorie as Wright had no future now. I think they will try and build their team around Ross so getting him will be vital.

Say for example they couldn’t afford it would we be able to take them to court for breach of contract?

Surely we could get Wright cheaper if we have cash available now? Alternatively, they might go bust by the end of the season which would be funnier. I’m torn.

Out of the 3 out of contract summer signings, if we are to not have one here now it would be Wright for me. Will get more game time at Aberdeen and will know the SPFL.

Every Scottish club must be feeling the pinch and our own club is not immune from this. I think that supporters will be allowed back in in next season but there may well be a restriction on the numbers. I just hope that when the season tickets go on sale our supporters will step up to the plate in the same way that they did before the start of this season.

I’d say McCrorie as Wright had no future now. I think they will try and build their team around Ross so getting him will be vital.

Say for example they couldn’t afford it would we be able to take them to court for breach of contract?
Surely if they couldn't afford him we'd get him back, no?

Would hate for one of our young players to go on and be their most crucial player for years to come.

Maybe McCrorie doesn't fit the system currently but who's to say the season after next, he may well do.

Aberdeen are set to apply for a Government crisis loan as fears grow that fans may not be back inside Scottish football grounds by the start of next season.

Record Sport understands chairman Dave Cormack will press the button on the emergency bailout once the final details of the terms and conditions are finally cleared up.

But as the Covid crisis deepens across the game League One and League Two are preparing for at least another month of lockdown - with clubs in the Highland and Lowland Leagues now on the verge of declaring the current campaign null and void.

All 12 top flight clubs can claim around £1.7million of funding from Holyrood in order to survive without match day income but not a penny of that £20m pot has been released despite weeks of talks between the Government and SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell.

However, those discussions are now at an advanced stage and Aberdeen will be among the first to accept the financial package as the crippling financial consequences of the coronavirus pandemic begin to bite hard.

Cormack released a video message to the club’s fans on Wednesday in which he painted an alarmingly gloomy picture and expressed doubt over whether or not next season’s Premiership will even be able to kick off as scheduled in August.

In the social media post Cormack said: “I made a commitment that we would be as transparent as we can be with things around the club - the financials and any information that we can give. But it has to be based on facts and it has to be based on data.

“I’m asking you to be patient and the reason I’m asking you to be patient is because right now my focus, the board’s focus, the management team’s focus is on the financial sustainability of the club because we’ve still got hardly any income and who knows when income will come back?

And, following Nicola Sturgeon’s daily Covid briefing yesterday, sources close to the Pittodrie chief doubled down on the chairman’s message.

One told us: “Aberdeen are a well run club and we will get through this. We have insurance which will cover some of the losses caused by the pandemic and we also brought in £3m from the sale of Scott McKenna. That puts us in a better place than many others.

“But, even so, our financial projections show we expect £10m income with costs running at £5m. You don’t need to be a chartered accountant to work out what that means.

“The Government loan will also help the club to get through this but let’s be very clear here, all of Scottish football should be absolutely frightened right now about what lies ahead.”
The source is a thick c.u.nt as he has said they make £5M profit this year

Out of the 3 out of contract summer signings, if we are to not have one here now it would be Wright for me. Will get more game time at Aberdeen and will know the SPFL.

True, in an ideal world though you’d want to get him settled in the West of Scotland and experience seeing us winning the league and being part of the squad. So he’s ready and raring to go next season.

Lewis Ferguson will be available cheap in the summer then...

giphy.gif

Every Scottish club must be feeling the pinch and our own club is not immune from this. I think that supporters will be allowed back in in next season but there may well be a restriction on the numbers. I just hope that when the season tickets go on sale our supporters will step up to the plate in the same way that they did before the start of this season.
If it’s true the vaccines stop spread we will get reduced numbers by the start of the season and full stadiums by the end of the year

Sorry I thought that as he would be 24 the fee wouldn’t apply
Been covered a few times mate. Wright turns 24 in early August - NEXT season. The rules appear to say that a Dev Fee is applicable if he moves at any point 'up to or at the end of the season in which he turns 23'. We then get into the strange territory of when one season officially ends and the other starts. For me, we'd want him in before the start of next season - which I interpret as coming 'at the end of the season in which he turns 23'. Others disagree with that interpretation but I'm fairly certain a Dev Fee, probably circa £350k (same as Hastie), will be applicable. It won't be a Glen Kamara job, put it that way.

Businesses that applied for government grants / loans last year are still waiting for them to be paid out. I would expect any club applying now will be lucky to get it before the end of the season.
Won’t be long before clubs will be asking for advances on TV money as well.

Back