Match Thread Aberdeen v Rangers - 13:00 Sunday 5th - Sky Sports

Tough to take that late equaliser today. Thought the team were fantastic. Morelos was unlucky to be sent off, very harsh. Does that send a message out to defenders that they can barge a forward with impunity?
Was it just me or are we being refereed to a different standard again?
Ferguson elbows Coulibaly on the chin and I don't think he was even booked. May barges into Jack to play to the sheep, which results in Jack being substituted, making no effort to play the ball and he isn't even booked.
For our penalty, should that not be deemed as a clear goal scoring opportunity and Ball therefore sent off. The inconsistency of our referees beggars belief.
Great performance and the gaffer's interview after the game was, as usual, class. Just a pity we couldn't hold on but great effort from the players.

Best summary in this thread. A great performance. Morelos was never a sending off, but hopefully he learns from this.

Unless your names Scott Brown.

Yes, when he kicks out petulantly it's part of the game, get on with it. We are refereed to different standards than anyone else in the league and subject to unpunished thuggery like Ryan Jack today.

Morelos has to go. Misses sitters, petulant, lost us two points today. If we can get 3 mill from Chinese or ANYONE, get him to f--k. He is not an out and out predator, which is what we need. We will battle with him up front, he's not good enough for a successful Rangers team.

Aberdeen celebrated their equaliser like a winner, sums up their mentality. Other way round and we would be grabbing the ball to get restarted and go for a winner. Aberdeen are a diddy loser club.

Morelos has to go. Misses sitters, petulant, lost us two points today. If we can get 3 mill from Chinese or ANYONE, get him to f--k. He is not an out and out predator, which is what we need. We will battle with him up front, he's not good enough for a successful Rangers team.

Jimbo yes he didnt do himself any favours but a very very harsh red card, and that game today, like they always are with that prick Clancy, was a f*cking stitch up.

Referee did his best to ensure that we dropped points. Thankfully Stevie G has highlighted this for the world to see!

I come away from that performance with hope. Last season even with the win against Motherwell, it seemed all wasn’t right and it fell apart in the next two home games (all be it one of them was also down to incompetent refereeing).

We looked very confortable and I didn’t see us conceding. Jack going off was a blow - he looked a different player and one that is massively improving already. Only blot on gerrards tactics today was not replacing him with McCrorie (and could argue Candeias should have came on for Murphy).

Two things do worry me. One - we are not clinical enough. Murphy after 5 min, windass second half needs to square it, umpteen times we picked the wrong ball or over/under hit pass. Even in the 95th minute Ejaria was through on goal with the right pass from Arfield.

Second thing - for all defensively sound we have looked, that’s two goals we’ve now lost in the closing minutes. Need to cut that out.

Going by the rules of you kick a player it is Red. However in the case of Morelos it was not in my view a kick aimed at the player but more in the general direction to show he does not like being barged. Ref did not see either but goes with the linesman. However the rules are if a player is brought down in the penalty area off the ball (goal scoring oppo does not matter) then its penalty and a red card. In the latter the ref has a good view and gives the penalty but not the red card which would mean we both have ten players and by the rules would be correct.
Any ref with a bit of sense is not going to ruin a game 10 mins in and should have just given Freddy a yellow with a warning that next time he is off.
Our boys can now look after themselves but Freddy must have more control as it could be said ...and has been... that he cost us the game by allowing a linesman to tell the ref to send him off.

But that isn’t irrelevant mate. It’s the EXACT POINT -

The St J player put himself in that position but DIDNT see red, yet the Rangers player DID.
This is the issue in Scotland. Almost Every marginal situation has gone against us in the last year.
Jack two reds that were then rescinded after the match. Too late to save us dropping points.
Aberdeen penalty when McLean dived.
Allan not walking at ER
Penalty not given at ER when 5.4 ahead then they ran up the park & equalised.

There were many more .........

Father Clancy was the ref that day too.....just sayin.

A game we should have won. Yes, Morelos shouldn't have been sent off, but he gave the officials a choice.
Our penalty, debatable or not, was a stonewall red card if rules are adhered to.
Our CB's looked a bit vulnerable today in my opinion. At least one CB another striker needed IMHO.

We really do look like we're heading in the right direction. We're maybe still a transfer window or two away from being a title winning side. Don't get me wrong, I would love us to do it this year, and we definitely have a chance. We clearly have a manager who is not going to take any sh#t. I think people will fear playing us this season. It's been a while since we've been able to say that.

I was impressed by our fight and determination today, we are on the right track. A few more quality players and we can win this league. We just need to practice 11 v 12 because that is what we'll be getting week in, week out. It took 12 mins today for us to see things will be exactly the same as last season on the refereeing front. Good to see Gerrard calling them out on it.

A game we should have won. Yes, Morelos shouldn't have been sent off, but he gave the officials a choice.
Our penalty, debatable or not, was a stonewall red card if rules are adhered to.
Our CB's looked a bit vulnerable today in my opinion. At least one CB another striker needed IMHO.

No offence but where did they look vulnerable? Aberdeen didn't have a shot on target until the 94th minute prior to that I don't recall much troubling them

A very good performance but overshadowed by cheating officials who shafted us today.

We deserved the win but fair play to Gerrard with his comments he was spot on.

As a team though we are progressing well, plenty of encouraging signs for the season ahead.

So glad Gerrard stood up for us with those comments. Even those last two matches last season illustrated it.
Keevins said it was inflammatory. Wonder what he said about Lennon’s comments when the wee that took over at the Gadd Arena ?

How dare we criticise the assistant referee, eh ?

David McGeachie decided this was not a goal.

Adam-Rooney-goal-over-the-line.jpg

No offence but where did they look vulnerable? Aberdeen didn't have a shot on target until the 94th minute prior to that I don't recall much troubling them

No offence taken mate. Vulnerable is the wrong word to use, I just think they looked a little less composed than they have done previously. Probably the erratic nature of the Scottish game which they'll adjust to

I had hoped that somebody might have given May a wee taste of his own medicine, but then that would have been another red card I suppose.

Back