Match Thread Aberdeen v Rangers - 16:30 Sunday - BT Sports

Dare I say it he needs to take a leaf out of Warburtons book by making subs on the 60-70 minute mark to make a difference to the game.

I'm looking forward to the response from the players on Wednesday!

I don't know what he should do about the subs, I would go for substitutions at the hour mark as well tbh, that would at least give them time to have an impact.

Gerrard has taken the blame for today, he's also said he'll find the players who CAN get us trophies - bring on January, time for Gerrard and Mark Allen to find a few more gems (attacking ones)!

This weekend never happened for me, I'm not talking about it to anyone at work and if they try to I might hit them with a forklift!

We keep blaming individual players? The problem as I see it is our managers reluctance to change things, I have said all season how he doesn’t seem to be able to effect games in play, it is happening way too often, his decision to start Sadiq today was baffling to say the least, not good enough from our boss I’m afraid.

Is it just me? I find it hard to stomach McCoist spouting off about what should be done regarding tactics, who should pass to who, who should be covering etc. - given the stuff his teams dished up. Kevin Kyle? Back to Boyd and Kenny Miller? Ian Black? Zaluskas? Every attack aimed squarely and predictably at the far post That'll sort it. Still, he ain't Walker, I suppose...

Don't get this Thursday/Sunday talk. If we were in champions league we wouldn't be complaining about Tuesday or Wednesday then Saturday games

Wed/sat bad but Thur/sun is horrific.

Always been thus. poets getting the same results as well means hearts stay out in front.

We'll kill teams at Ibrox on a Sunday, bit away we are vulnerable.

Pish.

Get the first goal and its 4 or 5.

No striker didn't help, Sadiq isn't one.

True, we've got to move on and stop putting in performances like that.

Every one of those players should be more than capable of stepping up and controlling the outcome of games, there is a reason Sadiq hasn't started in any other games and I can't see him starting any in the future after today.

Final ball not good enough and subs needed changed earlier.

Having said that the amount of shirt pulling Beaton was letting them away with was unreal.

It's certainly a really tough one to take.

As i've said previously, we bossed them for 90% of the game, the Sheep offered the square-root of fu*k all aside from decent defending (in serious numbers)... but our lack of cutting edge up front cost us badly. We were hit by a sucker punch by a side that is far inferior to us.

What needs to happen now is that the Gaffer assesses his squad and we make a signing (or two) in the January window to give us more of a chance in a league race that is actually very competitive.

That side with a fully fit Barisic and an on-form Morelos is a very different proposition. I'm particularly looking forward to Barisic offering an alternative to Tav's set pieces, as well as something in attack down the left.

I have high hopes for Grezda too. Quick, direct and tricky. It's what we need: a bit of cut up front.

This is a long-term process and today will have shown Gerrard more issues with this squad and reinforced the problems which were likely already apparent to him.

It's ok to be down. We all are...But let's not overreact just yet. We're going to get there.

Note the Gaffer's post-match interview, when talking about what he needs to see moving forward... "hopefully we'll have better players available in the final third to take us that step further... If they're not with us now, I'll find them..."

Last edited:
Just home and so much I could write, but for me the biggest issue today were the subs. Ok, there were arguably a couple of positions up for grabs today, but the biggest eyebrow raiser would have been the inclusion of Sadiq. Most of us wouldn't have argued with the rest of the team. So the gaffer goes with the big man up front. Fair enough. Wildcard option and more accomplished Rangers managers than Gerrard have thrown in the odd random selection for Hampden games.

However - for the love of god - Stevie Wonder could see it wasn't working and after an hour it should have been changed. The fact that he didn't do anything until we were behind means today's outcome is largely on him. Like he said in the interview, its his team, his players. He got that one well fucking wrong today.

FWIW I think Sadiq off and either Kent through the middle and Middleton on the left; or potentially even just sticking Arfield on through the middle for the last 25 or so would have been better options. And in midfield again he takes Jack off. Jack is always available and keeps the ball moving relatively quickly. Just the same as the other night when he goes off we become flat in the middle of the park.

That's a few games now where his subs have been questionable. I'm wondering what Gary Mac is thinking / contributing to these changes. Whilst there is scope for the team to continue to grow and develop I'm hoping that the gaffer is realising substitutions is an area where he himself has room for development.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we have lacked something up front since the Murphy injury. A bit of penetration and guile.

Our final ball has been abysmal over the last two games.

Sadiq should never be seen in a Rangers Jersey again, even for the reserves as he would just hold back another player. Just send him back to Roma tomorrow.

Wednesday is a marker for us now. We need to respond in what will be as hard a game as we've faced. It'll be a measure of our character and our manager's ability to rouse this squad after as disappointing a result as we've experienced against that awful mob. I can take this defeat if we learn from it, I hope we can.

What are your thoughts now?
The same. If you think playing kent or any other winger as a striker would have made a difference then you are severely under estimating the issues in our team. Look at the goals from our entire team. There were hardly any goals in that team middle to front.

Was going to start a separate thread on favourite piece of bampottery in this evening's aftermath... but I suspect it would probably get pulled. So instead I'll share here that there is some utter muppet on the official FB page commenting that we should sell Tav after that today, and that he can't wait for Brighton to sign him.

o_O

I would sell tav just so he can stop taking set pieces, he offers so much going forward but when was the last time he scored an open play goal

Something was off today.

Candias, Kent, Tav, Goldson all struggled with deliveries. An awful coincidence that all of our best delivery channels couldn't drop the ball into the box.

Something very weird about it.

I'm fucking gutted about todays result. Pointing out the obvious but it really was a sore one to take. They were absolutely shite. But I don't feel we deserved to win today.

Is it just me? I find it hard to stomach McCoist spouting off about what should be done regarding tactics, who should pass to who, who should be covering etc. - given the stuff his teams dished up. Kevin Kyle? Back to Boyd and Kenny Miller? Ian Black? Zaluskas? Every attack aimed squarely and predictably at the far post That'll sort it. Still, he ain't Walker, I suppose...
No its not just you, but he is a better pundit than manager thats for sure;)

F..king pish I think the sheep had 1 chance all game n took it w.....s
We threw that game away we should of played played Middleton,Candaias,or Kent up front

Was at the NFL today so only just watched this pish back. Had no idea of the result. Really sickening and to have made it so easy for them. Their keeper had virtually nothing to do. Too many really poor deliveries.

Hard one to take but what happened today is genuinely the only way they were going to beat us, defend for their lifes then get a late goal from a set piece

That seemed to be about it, sadly they got lucky today and as a result they won the game.

Aberdeen won't be so fortunate the next time we meet them.

In all honesty - McCoist is the last person who should be talking about tactics

We could still be playing right now and we would not have scored. Sadiq was awful upfront, no movement, no desire or hunger. Even our wingers couldn’t put in a decent ball into the box. The full stadium could see it wasn’t working and It was clear we needed a change and again Gerrard stuck with it until it was too late. I’d rip up sadiq’s loan deal now because there’s not a footballer in there.

Tavi...loser mentality
Candias..loser mentality.
Sadiq...not Rangers quality as are the other 2, plenty energy and work rate, poor end product in big games.

Stevie will replace 4 or 5 if he has to, he's not messing around

I would love us to sign Steve Davis in January. He is the kind of player who would have found the killer pass that was sadly lacking yesterday. We had so much possession but with no end product.

Stayed away from FF last night because I was so disappointed so wanted to sleep on it and gather my thoughts.

We just got beat by the worst Aberdeen team I have seen in a long, long time! They offered nothing and yet here we are at least 6 months from the trophy we all crave. We've been in 7 semi finals of the last 9 domestic cups and only won one, in fact, only given a reasonable account of ourselves in one.

Too many players not at their game yesterday (Kent & Candieas notably!) but overall the manager must take the blame. The Sadiq "experiment" failed and he was far too late making changes (becoming a common theme) and when he did they were not the right ones (Jack was our best player IMHO!).

Altogether another horrible day at Hampden. The Manager and players owe us!

For me Sadiq should have been off at halftime he offered very little, the subs were brought on far to late and after Thurs Tav was still taking corners and free kicks its time for someone else to have a go. Also standing watching the corner coming over didn't help for their goal big centre halfs and they score from a header.

First time online since that result yesterday-just couldn't face it.
One of the worst feelings ever. Drove home in stoney silence, son totally dejected.
Fcuking sore 1!!!

Been off the site for a while but had to come back on n vent. 0-0 with 15 mins to go and a guy upfront that can't kick his own backside ! I would rather seen Arfield up top than him. Not making a sub until they scored is a fucking joke and that lost us the game. The mentality in league and cup games need to change. They seem up for the Europa league games but soon as it's a Sunday the tools get downed. Get sadiq tae %^*&, I would take Jordan Jones and another striker in Jan

Candeias with a loser mentality? Care to explain that one?
No problem.
Every manager him and Tavi have played for have bottled it in every domestic crunch game we have lost.
Windass.
Tavi.
Candias.
Serial Losers.
Also think Stevie was talking about them later 2 in his post match interview, I'm 54 yo and could put in better crossed balls than the both of them last 2 games, total gash.
Don't be surprised if they are both gone come January.

No problem.
Every manager him and Tavi have played for have bottled it in every domestic crunch game we have lost.
Windass.
Tavi.
Candias.
Serial Losers.
Also think Stevie was talking about them later 2 in his post match interview, I'm 54 yo and could put in better crossed balls than the both of them last 2 games, total gash.
I must be watching different games to you in regards to Candeias.

His end product might not be top quality but to say Candeias is a serial loser is ludicrous.

I must be watching different games to you in regards to Candeias.

His end product might not be top quality but to say Candeias is a serial loser is ludicrous.
U certainly must be as I'm by no shape or form the only one that has that opinion of them both.
Once Grezda is match fit he will be back up at best if he's not let go!

No problem.
Windass.
Tavi.
Candias.
Serial Losers.

no one should have survived that from last season

no one

stevie g is still building TBH and should have been backed with real quality upon securing the group stages in august

but alas that shite with SD rumbles on

no one should have survived that from last season

no one

stevie g is still building TBH and should have been backed with real quality upon securing the group stages in august

but alas that shite with SD rumbles on
Mate it's only 4 months in.
Bid of £6m should see Tavi playing in England in January. That money and EL money will be given to him to bulk up the team, that's just the way I see it going down, Candias as a back up to Grezda ain't so bad, but if Tavi is in the team Candias needs to play to cover his arse which I find fuking woeful TBH

Back