Match Thread Aberdeen v Rangers - 16:30 Sunday - BT Sports

The common denominator in all our poor performances this season is effort and organisation from the opposition.

We need a bit of craft.

Absolutely sickened by that today.

We all knew it would be tough going today without our main strikers, but the mistakes were made in the summer not spending on a serious back up for Morelos & bringing in a loan striker the manager obviously knew nothing about!

It still baffles me as to who decided on bringing in Sadiq, its painfully obvious it wasn't SGs

I have the sound down on this BT commentary
Ridiculous I have to do this but Im going to burst a blood vessel listening to their utter biased horseshit

This game we should be winning, Im not saying we just have to turn up to win this is Aberdeens players and supporters biggest game of the year they would happily beat us and get hammered in the final that is the mentality we are dealing with.

We should have enough quality in our squad to beat them and there is no excuse if we dont but the way this game is going and with the biggest and most blatant cheat of the Scottish referees community it would not surprise me if we got beat

Don't like quoting myself but seen this coming

We have beaten teams in Europe who would comfortably beat Aberdeen home and away

All Aberdeen had was hard work.We should be able to create chances and beat team like them

I don't know what the answer is domestically away from home its like watching a bad movie over and over
Warburton V2.0
Lots of possession but not one meaningful attempt at goal
Aberdeen literally could have played an outfielder in goal today

I like the manager as much as anyone but he has to learn and learn quickly.
Celtic now been handed a 7th trophy in a row.

If that is the sort of performance we are going to continue seeing especially away from home then forget about a league challenge 2nd place will be a battle

A couple of things seem so obvious

Apart from penalty kicks Tav should not be let anywhere near a corner or free kick
The old saying about insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results was perfectly shown today

Substitutions need to be made earlier.Yes I know we were playing well in terms of possession and had them in their own half for
long periods but last time I checked it is goals that count nothing else
No I don't have a coaching badge or have won a,champions league and clearly Stevie G knows more about the game than me but worryingly everyone could see we needed a change we did not look like scoring
Unless everyone on the bench was unfit it was one of the worst decisions not to make a change until we went a goal down
Warburton and McCoist would have got slaughtered for that lack of tactical nouse today you know they would.

I was on the 55 express bandwagon but Europa league performances apart I have to be honest and at the risk of being accused of being a Timposter I worry that our manager is not learning from his mistakes and the mistakes seem to be very clear ones

Sorry but it had to be said

Last edited:
Not good enough, absolute soul destroying can’t believe we’ve been beat but deserved everything we got, a big wake up call for us all

We didn’t lose today because we bottled it.
Not in a million years.

The players don’t take responsibility or risks to win games because they don’t have a winners attitude because they have mostly won %^*& all.

Big game players take risks and make sure they do everything to win games.
Every player absolved themselves of the responsibility against Celtic, Livingston and now Aberdeen.
5 semi’s we have lost, it isn’t acceptable.

Who lost their man for the goal? Couldn’t see from my seat.
6 defeats in a row at hampden now 5 of them we haven’t scored a goal.

We have to many players who can’t unlock a defensive team.Today we dominated possession but our final ball and play in front of goal is lacking.Subs should have been made way before they were.

Biggest problem I see is we don't have anyone who can put one on target from outside the box, allowing teams to fill their own box while we try and play through them.

It's not rocket science.

Significant players failing to step up when needed. Tav, for example. He needed his very best performance today and we didn't get it. Wasted too many opportunities. We need players who can shoot and hit the target and not send it well over the bar. All teams now know we can't break a packed defence so we can expect that all season. Thoroughly depressing day - thoroughly.

Dreadful result in a match we dominated but never looked like scoring. As for the Sheep, they are woeful but got a truly undeserved result in a game we virtually gave to them with our inability to hit the net.
Hand on heart there’s not one of their players I would take ahead of one of ours. Own fault we went down.

Not too concerned. We would only get a hiding in the final. We don't have any winners in the team .As for the Skipper an absolute complete loser

The players don’t take responsibility or risks to win games because they don’t have a winners attitude because they have mostly won %^*& all.

Big game players take risks and make sure they do everything to win games.
Every player absolved themselves of the responsibility against Celtic, Livingston and now Aberdeen.
5 semi’s we have lost, it isn’t acceptable.
I don’t get where this comes from.
What, other than fail to score, did our players do wrong today.
Did nobody take the responsibility to shoot?
Did nobody take the responsibility to tackle?
To defend?
To pass?
Tell me some examples of where we did not take responsibility.

That was as poor an Aberdeen performance as I can remember but you could see it coming. Dominated but never looked like scoring, sucker punched right on cue. They knew they couldn’t outplay us but they executed their game plan perfectly.

This substitution one for today.
Can anybody tell me who would have replaced whom and why.
Who, other than Sadie was poor in our team today.
What wonderful tactic would have done better than we did for eighty minutes today?

I’m not going to be overly critical but I do think Coulibaly should have been replaced by Middleton or Arfield with about 25-30 mins to go.

Middleton could have gone wide left, Kent just off Sadiq and Ejaria slightly deeper. Candeias coming off was a bit of a mystery in all honesty...

Who? When it comes down to it, if no one else is doing it, the captain needs to take responsibility and show why he has the armband by setting an example.
Well, that's what John Greig used to do but Tav isn't in that class, regrettably.

To defend?
To pass?

the entire team's response to going a goal behind was pathetic

Sadiq was a gamble that didn't work.
He tried, but after that effort, he has a long way to go.
Sadiq today proved he should be sent back to Roma at the first given opportunity.

That aside , Gerrard making the call to start him is the least of my grievances, at least you can see some logic behind it.

can we all just get a grip and understand we are still a work in progress! It's the league cup ffs! I for one could not have envisaged we would be where we are right now this time last year! one off games can happen! It happens to the best of teams!

Well said.

People are hurting, myself included but we are miles better than I could have hoped for at the start of the season.

Keep behind the team and we will continue to improve.

Motherwell, Aberdeen twice, Livingston and Spartak in Europe.

All played defensively and all games we never took 3 points or gave a goal away in the last minute.

Sadiq today proved he should be sent back to Roma at the first given opportunity.

That aside , Gerrard making the call to start him is the least of my grievances, at least you can see some logic behind it.

I was all for giving him an opportunity to prove himself, but not in a semi final having barely kicked a ball.

Solid enough at the back, other than defending the Aberdeen goal.

The problem today was going forward. Defence to midfield was fine. Getting into the final 3rd of the pitch was straightforward. Final ball into the box? Terrible. For all the running and the number of times the wide men got beyond the Aberdeen fullbacks, the final ball into the box was rotten. Either failed to beat the first defender or over hit. Sadiq didn't really give them much to aim for with his poor movement and regular flags for offside. Rightly called for a nonsense dive at the end.

How many times did Rangers trouble Joe Lewis today? How many genuine chances were there? Sadiq clearly isn't an option up front. Do Rangers take a punt on bringing in a 3rd choice striker to give some cover if Morelos and Lafferty are unavailable? Does a youngster get a chance? A lack of anybody capable of leading the line was a massive problem today.

This substitution one for today.
Can anybody tell me who would have replaced whom and why.
Who, other than Sadie was poor in our team today.
What wonderful tactic would have done better than we did for eighty minutes today?

I thought Worral was pish to the point the sheep were happy to let him have the ball.

can we all just get a grip and understand we are still a work in progress! It's the league cup ffs! I for one could not have envisaged we would be where we are right now this time last year! one off games can happen! It happens to the best of teams!
yes, but I think we need better and different players. Hopefully, that is already in motion. We also need to look at Morelos getting booked so often when we depend on him so much. We need an able deputy and I'm not convinced Lafferty is that man.

I was all for giving him an opportunity to prove himself, but not in a semi final having barely kicked a ball.
One of those calls that if it works you take the plaudits, if it fails , as it did today, you will get pelters.

Gerrard gambled ,it didn't work out but at least I can see why he did.

That was fucking tough. Gutted beyond belief tbh.

Derek Fergusons boy scores the winner and celebrates like fuckin mad. I might be wrong here but what the %^*& is that all about.

Apologies if im wrong here but what is going oan.

Aye i was at the game, before some numbnut says otherwise.

To defend?
To pass?

Tazza, are you happy with our approach to that game? Our tempo, our will to win?

You won't believe this but I had Greig in mind. Not the best footballer but 100% a Rangers captain. A mistake by Gerrard to make Tavernier captain,
Greig could take a game by throat when needed. He wasn't a fancy dribbler but his sheer strength took him past most defenders.

We are afraid to try something different, always the safe option. The amount of passes it takes us to get into a dangerous area is unbelievable. We need to mix things up more, unfortunately we don't have enough quality or self belief to take a chance. I,like so many others, could see this result coming after about half an hour. Totally disgusted re that performance. Just an afterthought, everyone saying SG should have made substitutions sooner.... what on earth is Gary McAllister doing? Should he not be advising SG? Fk it I'm off for a beer.

Sadie was pushed off balance I would book the keeper aggressive prick I just rewound the incident and totally pissed of fuming

We move the ball from defence to attack really well, but then we have a tendency to slow play down allowing our opponents to get organized, which forces us to halt and play backward losing all momentum. With Dorrans out long term along with Murphy, we need to look for a creative midfielder in the January window. I think today also showed Sadiq is a bust and a third striker is also needed sooner rather than later

Last edited:
That was as poor an Aberdeen performance as I can remember but you could see it coming. Dominated but never looked like scoring, sucker punched right on cue. They knew they couldn’t outplay us but they executed their game plan perfectly.
Done up, like a kipper.

I’m not going to be overly critical but I do think Coulibaly should have been replaced by Middleton or Arfield with about 25-30 mins to go.

Middleton could have gone wide left, Kent just off Sadiq and Ejaria slightly deeper. Candeias coming off was a bit of a mystery in all honesty...
You’re right mate.
I posted earlier though that changing the midfield might change the whole team.
Look, see if we’d been poor for the first eighty, I’d agree with all the ideas of what subs might have been better for us.
However, we weren’t poor and I’ll defend the team to the hilt against anybody who says we were.

Back