MOTM Poll Aberdeen v Rangers - 19:45 Tuesday - Sky Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The midfield has to work tonight.
They will know we are missing a couple in there so will be targetting that area to control the game.
We must win our battles in there and be at a high tempo from the first whistle.
Agree. That’s why I think it’s difficult to play Lundstram in there. I’d prefer a half fit Ryan Jack over Lundstram.

If Lundstram doesn’t start tonight, then it’s a fair indicator he doesn’t have a place in the team - and the sooner he’s moved on, the better.

I feel more confident going here with Gio than Gerrard. SG had a tendency to over-think Aberdeen.

In saying that, I wouldn’t be surprised at a draw tonight. But I’ll go for a 1-0 win.

The midfield will be crucial tonight imo. They will know we are missing a few and will target it as an area to try and control. Aribo will be a huge miss. Think it will be a really tough game as it usually is up there. Any kind of win will do.

He talked about different formations and tactics for different games before. Now he has had time to work with the players and because it's usually a battle against their midfield, think he might play Sands and then we can switch between a 4-3-3 and 3-5-2?

McGregor
Tav Goldson Bassey Barisic
Sands Kamara
Sakala Hagi Kent
Morelos

McGregor
Sands Goldson Bassey
Tav Hagi Kent Kamara Barisic
Morelos Sakala
Could still do with someone like Arfield in midfield instead of Hagi but still

With Aribo missing, Kent and Hagi need to step up and be the creative forces tonight to set up chances for Morelos

We MUST learn from the 2.2 game, where they made us look ordinary.

We didn’t learn v Dundee Utd after they had beaten us at Tannadice.

Massive & pivotal 3 points. Win this & a significant gap can be created by mid February.

I think the thing we need to learn from the previous game against Aberdeen is that they are absolutely going to press high and aggressive from the start, we seemed to be taken by surprise by this at Ibrox (bizarre when you consider they did exactly the same in the final game of last season under Glass...!?!) and by the time we reacted 15 minutes had gone by and it's 0-2.

I think the thing we need to learn from the previous game against Aberdeen is that they are absolutely going to press high and aggressive from the start, we seemed to be taken by surprise by this at Ibrox (bizarre when you consider they did exactly the same in the final game of last season under Glass...!?!) and by the time we reacted 15 minutes had gone by and it's 0-2.

Spot on Steve, it worked that night & we need to ensure it doesn’t again. Poor preparation.

The Tim’s will do the same too.

I forgot Clancy was the ref. I hope we start fast and score early so he doesn't get a chance to influence the game. They'll know he's ref so we'll probably pick up an injury or two.

If we drop points due to Clancy this place will go mental.

I think we'll win 1-3. I can see Kent and Alfie(2) scoring before they get a late penalty.

Expect them to come out the traps flying tonight. Would start with Kamara, Lundstram and Hagi in MF, with Wright, Kent and Morelos upfront.

Get's said almost every week, but tonight really is one of those games you just want the 3 points and no injuries.

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Bassey Barisic

Bacuna Kamara Hagi

Sakala Morelos Kent

As I said in the other thread Bacuna is reluctantly as I don't like Lundstram in there especially next to Kamara and it's not the sort of game I want Sands starting from in his debut.

It will be tight tomorrow night I think and Bacuna adds something to use where he could break down a low block or pass through tight lines. I hope anyway. It's not ideal he's had very little game time.

However, I trust Gio to see things I don't see and ultimately do what's best.

I just don't think this is going to be as clear-cut as folk maybe hope.
I would rather see Kamara in a more forward thinking role. Leave DMF to Lundstrum. If it's not working get Sands in there. Bacuna has something to offer just needs game time. I'll be happy with a1 nil win

Quite nervous about this game but tbf felt the exact same way ahead of the recent trips to Easter Rd and Tynecastle.

I was so looking forward to the home game against the sheep earlier this season because I expected the team to put a statement out on the pitch in memory of Walter but the game played out disastrously.

Hoping for Gio to set the team out similar to Tynecastle with the aim of hitting them hard down the wings with Kent and Sakala/Wright.

Big game for Lundstram and Hagi. Hagi needs to step up and fill Joe’s void.
I don't care about the result, as long as we score and they don't

Would Lunstrum get in the Aberdeen team? Is he a better player than any of their midfield? Has he played at a higher level and against better players?

The answer to all of these is yes so why the clamour to play a guy who is new to the team, new to the country and new to the SPHell?

Just me nervous tonight coming back from the winter break and not played a game in 3 weeks. They will play it like it's a cup final. We need to be at it from the first whistle.

Wonder if Sands will be brought in and Kamara moved forward one.

I really hope the break has worked in our favour giving Gio more time with the players getting them ready for tonight. This game is huge for us tonight. The paedos are crossing every finger and toe willing us to drop points up here tonight. I really hope the players are totally on it tonight and start at a blistering pace and blow the sheep away from the first whistle. As others have said Aribo is a huge miss for us but e should have more than enough to cause them a lot of problems tonight and get some goals.

If Lundstram doesn’t start tonight, then it’s a fair indicator he doesn’t have a place in the team - and the sooner he’s moved on, the better.

I feel more confident going here with Gio than Gerrard. SG had a tendency to over-think Aberdeen.

In saying that, I wouldn’t be surprised at a draw tonight. But I’ll go for a 1-0 win.
McInnes had his number?
Remember those comments?

Amongst the new experiences for James Sands will be “Lovely from Sands” & “FFS Sands!” on the same page of a match thread

Leaning towards a slender win but a draw up there isn't the end of the world, can't see us losing though.

“It’s bigger than I thought coming in from the outside. Now I totally get it. It’s a great fixture to play in. You get that derby feeling in the build-up to an Aberdeen game.”

That’s a quote from our previous manager about the Rangers v Aberdeen fixture. I’m not citing that to have a go but I always felt that Gerrard approached the games against Aberdeen in the wrong manner and offered them too much respect. He compared it to Liverpool v Man U and described Morelos going up against McKenna as a “box office battle”.

I really hope Gio has taken another approach and simply views it as a game for Rangers against an inferior side. We are better man for man all over the park. Let it be a battle and a “derby” type fixture for the sheep and don’t get sucked into that mindset. We should fucking play them off the park.

Because, as said before, it’s how the others in the team then play and how the team is then set up that’s the issue - when he’s in the team the other players look lost and just don’t know their jobs

The more I go on about this the more I can see him coming in and having a stormer lol so I’ll keep it up

This again and again.

He doesn't fit into our style, its that simple, he is the wrong choice tonight for me but I'll trust GVB's judgement.

Was in corfu for my brothers wedding when I was 15/16 year old. Was playing pool, had the rangers shorts on, Older guy in his 30s with a sheep top on started on me, shouting we hate rangers etc...hun bastards. He didn't realise who was with me, safe to say he got his head kicked in and never looked our way for the rest of the holiday.

Ever since that moment, I've hated Aberdeen fans and everything to do with the place.

Hope we go up and smash them tonight.

“It’s bigger than I thought coming in from the outside. Now I totally get it. It’s a great fixture to play in. You get that derby feeling in the build-up to an Aberdeen game.”

That’s a quote from our previous manager about the Rangers v Aberdeen fixture. I’m not citing that to have a go but I always felt that Gerrard approached the games against Aberdeen in the wrong manner and offered them too much respect. He compared it to Liverpool v Man U and described Morelos going up against McKenna as a “box office battle”.

I really hope Gio has taken another approach and simply views it as a game for Rangers against an inferior side. We are better man for man all over the park. Let it be a battle and a “derby” type fixture for the sheep and don’t get sucked into that mindset. We should fucking play them off the park.

I think Gio will take the game for what it is. The win at Easter Road in December, as much as we didn't play great, we also didn't let ourselves get drawn in to battle and just played our way.

Back