Aberdeen

HereLiesDavidStHubbins

What's the general feeling on Aberdeen, aimed at anyone that watches other games within Scottish football?

Based on the league table they've started the season well but I say that not even knowing who they've played.

Are they likely going to be stiff competition, realistic challengers for second? Did they improve particularly over the summer?

It goes without saying we should be able to outperform them, we should never expect any less than that but is it likely we have a fight on our hands to do so?

Considering they lost a few players in the summer,they seemed to have brought in adequate replacements,only time will tell.

Had a 100% record before yesterday but have only played partick, ross county, Dundee and Hamilton and most have been wins by a single goal.

Sounds like they were fortunate to get a point yesterday. I'll reserve judgement till they play hibs, St johnstone, the manks and us.

I like Stevie may, he's a good forward. Hayes swapped for the swimmer Gms. Nit sure if they replaced jack or not.

Hearts were the first "tough" game they've faced this season. The 4 before yesterday were all bottom 6 clubs. Can only beat what's in front of you though and based on last season I don't think they'll be far away from challenging for 2nd. The boy May looks to have been a solid addition.

I watched them in their first away Europa league qualifier and they looked quite good.

Their front three have goals in them and their midfield have some creativity, are well organised and pick up a lot of loose balls.

We're still better than them overall but they are good enough to take points off us and the tims this season.

On the radio coming back from the game yesterday and the indications were that the sheep were very lucky to get a point. Apparently the keeper played well.

They will still be very stuffy and be up the top end of the table, This team really ought to be good enough to beat them though.

An irrelevant non-entity of a club is my first thought when I think of them to be honest.

We are far superior to last season, and they only just pipped one of the weakest Rangers sides we've ever had in the top flight.

They should be worried.

They have creative players and will score plenty, but their defence is a shambles. They signed Dom Ball as their new centre half, decent squad player but he'd be nowhere near our defence now.

An irrelevant non-entity of a club is my first thought when I think of them to be honest.

We are far superior to last season, and they only just pipped one of the weakest Rangers sides we've ever had in the top flight.

They should be worried.

They finished 10 points ahead of us mate!

It's worth remembering that we lost one less game than Aberdeen last season. Completely irrelevant with all the draws, of course, but not a stat you'd expect from a team suppposedly miles ahead of us.

They're grinding out results so far. I think they'll drop points against the likes of Hibs, Hearts and St Johnstone, possibly even at home. It's really whether or not we can avoid doing that as often as them.

Yesterday was their first real test, sounded like they were lucky with a draw.

Canna wait till we play them at Ibrox as it will be my next game there.

Haven't seen them play but on paper they've made some good signings in GMS, Tansey and May, but time will tell.

There must be something improving in their mentality when it comes to winning games more often than not and learning how to win scrappy. We could certainly so with them taking points in their big games, as long as it's not against us!

They should be worried.

Only just pipped? Are you serious mate? This is the sort of ridiculous arrogance, I genuinely thought, we would see less of this term, when you consider the state of our playing squad (before Pedro) and how far behind them we finished last season. We are also far from the finished article.

One thing is for certain, they won't be worried. They have lost 3 of their most influential players and have a budget many times less than ours. The Sheep have absolutely nothing to lose here. Beat us again, and it's a great achievement. Finish behind us, but still in 3rd, it's still a good achievement.

All that said I think we will finish second this year, but our games V them will be close again.

Only just pipped? Are you serious mate? This is the sort of ridiculous arrogance, I genuinely thought, we would see less of this term, when you consider the state of our playing squad (before Pedro) and how far behind them we finished last season. We are also far from the finished article.

One thing is for certain, they won't be worried. They have lost 3 of their most influential players and have a budget many times less than ours. The Sheep have absolutely nothing to lose here. Beat us again, and it's a great achievement. Finish behind us, but still in 3rd, it's still a good achievement.

All that said I think we will finish second this year, but our games V them will be close again.

I'm being serious fella for the benefit of the swathes of sheep lurkers glued to our forums utterly obsessed with us.

I can honestly say I hate, dislike, Aberdeen more than Celtic - maybe it is because I live in the North :(

I don't think they are as good as they are bummed up to be.First real test yesterday and lucky to escape with a point.

Guy I work with says they have been piss poor for large parts of their games so far but still getting results. Which for me, isn't what I want to hear.

Still confident we will finish above them though.

Ball, Mackay-Steven, Stewart, May, Tansey, Maynard and Christie are all good signings. Added to Mclean, Shinnie and Lewis they have a good squad.

Defence can be got at though.

Our games are always close against them. Even during our 9 in a row years they gave us a game, they and most other teams always raise their game against us. We were unlucky to lose at their place last season thanks to dodgy refereeing, I think we'll be well ahead of them this season.

I don't think their squad is significantly better or worse than last season. I believe we have a significantly improve squad than last season. As has been mentioned already in this thread, up until yesterday they hadn't faced a top 6 side. We'll see where we are after the first quarter of the season. I fully expect Rangers to finish comfortably ahead of the sheep and I'm looking forward to us tearing them apart next month :)

They finished 10 points ahead of us mate!
Yes, but at one point we were 5 points in front of them, then the Warburton sacking and the appointment of Pedro, upheaval behind the scenes caused the slump.

They are good, but not that good, if you listen to the BBC Sportsound( I know, I know)team you think they are special, and made great signings to replace those that left. That is still up for debate.

It is up to us to prove them wrong.

They have creative players and will score plenty, but their defence is a shambles. They signed Dom Ball as their new centre half, decent squad player but he'd be nowhere near our defence now.

I would not want him in our defence. I'd want him sitting in front of our defence like the semi where he was MotM.

He'd have won us the cup.

Yes, but at one point we were 5 points in front of them, then the Warburton sacking and the appointment of Pedro, upheaval behind the scenes caused the slump.

They are good, but not that good, if you listen to the BBC Sportsound( I know, I know)team you think they are special, and made great signings to replace those that left. That is still up for debate.

It is up to us to prove them wrong.

They haven't signed a player as good as Ryan Jack, we have :)

Aberdeen are a lesser team this year than last. We don't have anything to worry about from them.

I don't think they are as good as they are bummed up to be.First real test yesterday and lucky to escape with a point.

Our games are always close against them. Even during our 9 in a row years they gave us a game, they and most other teams always raise their game against us. We were unlucky to lose at their place last season thanks to dodgy refereeing, I think we'll be well ahead of them this season.

They do, but it's up to us to overcome that. It's no different to any season, since I've been going to games.

As I said already mate, I too think we'll beat them to second, but I don't think I've seen enough from us, to suggest it's as easy as, us just turning up.

Last season they were obviously better and better for a few reasons.

This season we have significantly improved.

Think we've got more than them but feel we are still not quite firing on all cylinders.

Parts of yesterday looked like it was coming together.

One thing remains, their fans are utter erse holes

My mate who's a jambo said they could have put 3 or 4 past the sheep had it not been for their keeper yesterday.

They have had a good start to the season although the fixtures have been kind to me them.

Aberdeen are a lesser team this year than last. We don't have anything to worry about from them.

The same pish was spouted last year.

Until we comprehensively put them back in their place, then they're sadly a challenger for us.

Harsh reality, we'll be closer to the sheep this season than we will be the mentally challengeds.

They've started well when it comes to results. But just wait till they play the scum. 3 goals or more against (often much more) seem to be the order of the day and it doesn't seem to bother them.

Last edited:
Let's see where they are after these set of fixtures;

Motherwell v Aberdeen
Motherwell (cup) v Aberdeen
Aberdeen v St Johnstone
Hibernian v Aberdeen
Rangers v Aberdeen
Aberdeen v bheggars

lets see where we are after the first round of ties, you could even argue after the second round where you have faced everyone home and away. I stay up North and will not be blowing our trumpet until I feel confident to do so, I am happy to say for sure that we are a much tougher task for everyone in the SPL this year, but as I say I will wait a wee bit before judging anyone.

Had a pretty easy opening start to the season and haven't exactly blown teams away. Hearts should've beat them on Saturday. Stevie May however is a decent goal scorer and if he's finds his St Johnstone form he will be a dangerous player.

Good reply. I hate all the delusion on here. They were miles in front of us last year and we are not exactly signing Messi or Ronaldo this year. It will be close between us and them. I think we might pip them to second which is what we need this year. Then another two windows and more of Pedros own players with a real challenge next year. I hope he gets the chance.

Just watched the Hearts Aberdeen game there. Hearts could have taken 4 or 5 off of them yesterday.

Back