Official Absent Friends - a toast to some pals who won't make it to Seville

I go to the games with my Dad and Uncle and we were joined by my uncles mate in the Rolls Royce on matchdays. He was a stubborn old bugger but more often that not he was right. Always a good laugh and was just like family.

3 years ago he took a turn coming out of a match. He passed last year after fighting it. Thankfully he got to see us win 55.

I'm sure he was with us last Thursday and will be again in Seville.

Rip Auld Jock

My Uncle John bowed out just before the start of the 2019/20 season. He was still going to his seat in the Copland until after his 90th birthday. To describe John as 'Rangers daft' would have been a gross understatement. He and every other departed Bear that I can remember will be in my thoughts on Wednesday night.
Sam's Dad?

I'm sure they will be looking down on us - Robert Watt (aka Little Boy Blue), QV Loyal and Chas Omnet.

"Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts"

Beautiful. I miss all my bears. My old man, Ibrox born, in a house in Gower St. His father and Grandfather.

Ive known every generation of Rangers, and they always said the same thing. WATP. What's for you won't go by you!

My old man died just before lockdown 2020, he wasn’t the best role model but I credit him with my love for Rangers. Initially trying to impress him but that soon developed into my own love affair for the club. My dad came from good stock though my Granda was a class act, Years ago I was kinda estranged from my family for a while and joined the local Masonic lodge (a different lodge to my dad uncle and Granda) and to my surprise my Granda showed up at my 1st Degree, He was invited by the RWM without me knowing, because of my name, I was so overwhelmed to see him and I’ll never forget it.
They won’t be far from my thoughts on Wednesday night, I hope I’ve made them proud.

Last edited:
I've lost a few Rangers mates over the last few years. I hope we win it for all the Bears who would have loved this time. Let's do it Rangers!

My old man died just before lockdown 2020, he wasn’t the best role model but I credit him with my love for Rangers. Initially trying to impress him but that soon developed into my own love affair for the club. My dad came from good stock though my Granda was a class act, Years ago I was kinda estranged from my family for a while and joined the local Masonic lodge (a different lodge to my dad uncle and Granda) and to my surprise my Granda showed up at my 1st Degree, He was invited by the RWM without me knowing, because of my name I was so overwhelmed to see him and I’ll never forget it.
They won’t be far from my thoughts on Wednesday night, I hope I’ve made them proud.
Double like

Lost my best pal very suddenly a few weeks ago. We had a great day day together at the semi final at Hampden against celtic. I didn't realise that would be the last day I saw my friend. God bless you Graham. X

Thoughts always with my old man who passed in 2009 after a number of years battling kidney disease. I never truly loved this club until after he died and I started to carry on his tradition.

We had fuk all when I was wee , my old man smoked about a million embassy cigarettes to get the coupons so me and my sister could get Christmas presents , he took me to the games first one 1970 when I was 5,
My first and fave OF goal Alfie Conn last min winner he took me to the centenary stand that day as I was too wee to stand behind the goal 1972 ( 50 Fukin years ago )
took me (lifted over) turnstile till I was 13 , paid me in 40p IIRC - he was the man that brought me up in the Rangers tradition !!!
Can remember him letting me stay up to watch the 1972 recorded Barca final on our B/W telly with me not knowing the score

My idol ma da !!!!

Old man passed away in 2001

Fast forward tine and financial situations

Would have loved to have taken him to Manchester on hospitality as he’d only have been 70 and again next week Seville at 85 but it wasn’t to be :(

So this post is for my old da - a glass will be raised for you on Wednesday night sir , just make sure you are singing with the angels at the end of the game

Greetin loyal

My good pal Ally Redford, Stoke-on-Trent RSC. Ally was one of the few who could claim to have been at every game (home and away) on the road to Barca 72.

He would’ve loved this and would’ve been knee deep this week organising tickets and transport for all his mates. GBNF.

To old Bev, young Greg and Fiona from the QSTB, hope you are having a ball up there and will watch down on us on Wednesday cheering us on. GBNF

My Dad, 9 years gone but would've loved this season.

My Father in Law, the poster Wontwofree who died in January

My Uncle Andybpassed in March

They would all have enjoyed this season but will be in forefront of my thoughts come Wed night

My old man Eddie first took me to Ibrox 1979 Rangers daft and even near the end the talk would be about the Rangers
Left us the night of Sparta Prague at Ibrox

My uncle Ron who got me into Rangers in the first place.
Gary 'Magoo' McCann, South Belfast legend.
Nevil Balcombe, Brighton.
Karl Tuffen, London

All taken too soon and all be watching from above.

My mate Marty Wallace from Clydebank also part time member of the Qatar Loyal.
We had our seats together in the Govan front & the memories are still with me every day & I miss my mucker so badly.
Passed away aged 55 four years ago on the 8th of May so last week & when we went through to the final my immediate thought was for Marty a true blue.
Gone but not forgotton!

My old friend Eric Woods. Eric passed away the Friday after we won 55. He was in a nursing home suffering from dementia. Eric was in Barcelona and he loved The Rangers. Our parting was me saying, Mon The Rangers,Eric's reply was Every Day.

Was in the stadium with with old man and one of my best mates in 2008 (amongst others).

Sadly both no longer with us.

Alex Penman, who used to run the Plean Bus. John Talbot who I'd often cadge a lift to away games , especially Pittodrie, from the Alva & District.

Archie Gray, and many regulars, from The Empire Bar in Bannockburn.

Too many to mention them all...

Each step and landmark since their passing has mixed emotions.

Last edited:
Danny and Jim, those two helped me when I was in a very bad place a few years back and turned my life around.They would've loved this.

I would love ma auld man to be sitting with us on Wednesday night,but,I also wanted him with us in Manchester.He would be buzzing how we have come back.
Win if Rangers for all our absent friends .

For a few from Drumchapel, Billy Reid,Roy Bennett and Robert Mulholland who was one of the 66, not forgetting the rest of the 66. Also to my both my uncles who introduced me to Rangers at the 1960 Scottish Cup Final. Willie and George look down and embrace us all.

My Dad, San Ldr John (Jack) Ross known as Xorbi on the FF board joined the ranks of the Heaven Loyal RSC in February 2015.

He'd of loved where we've reached now.

He'd of loved that his Great Grandson born in Glasgow in 2014, is now the staunchest of Rangers fans despite living near Thame in Oxfordshire. (It's great when I visit and watch him at footy training, one Rangers top in a sea of Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, PSG and Barca)

He was a top bloke my Dad, as I said at his passing, "if you knew my Dad, raise a glass, if you didn't know him, raise a glass anyway, you'd have liked him"

WATP

My Granda passed away in late 2018, sadly never got to see us do the business last season, and for a man who was in Barcelona in '72 to not be around for Seville '22 does have me feeling a bit emotional. But like all the other Bears on here, I'll cheer that bit louder on behalf of the ones we've lost, for the ones who took us to our first Rangers games, for the ones who are looking down and seeing we're carrying on that tradition of what it means to proudly follow this amazing club.

The one that sticks out for me is my pal Martin Ramsey. He was in Manchester with us, but sadly passed away in 2019 due to that bastard cancer. He'd be absolutely loving this. We always raise a glass for him when we're watching the Rangers

Back