Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

My dad Drew Smith who was a poster on here back in the day as QVLoyal. Brought myself up the right way in supporting the Teddy bears, might be nearly 16 years since he lost his short battle with cancer but I know he will be up there celebrating this title win like the rest of them! The journey is finally complete dad!

Been through the thread and didn't see him mentioned, apologies if I missed it.

Ally Redford, Stoke On Trent RSC

Words cannot really describe what he did for the RSC & individual Bears. A true Ranger who is sadly missed.

I hope his family are finding peace in the joy of the memories we all have of him.
Great words G.
I was thinking of Ally this morning when Mr McCoist was being interviewed on Sky and being asked about absent friends.
Best wishes to the family. Know they will all be watching today.

Raise a glass to my Gran who left us for the celestial place above in 2015. She witnessed us being demoted down the league and on my visits to her she always asked if we would be back. Gran we are back now. Miss you every day and hope you are celebrating with our other loved ones.

A toast to my Uncles, Alex and John, who took me to my first Rangers game at Ibrox in the 60,s. Gone, but never forgotten, and never will be.

WATP.

I’ll post on behalf of my mate who lost his dad John Robertson from Cumbernauld a few years ago and His mate Brian who we lost at the end of 2012.

For myself I thought about big Billy Reid from drumchapel the biggest Rangers man I ever knew he stood outside the stadium bar on a matchday sorting boys out with tickets for the bears followed home & abroad watching the Glasgow Rangers
I thought of Billy Reid ever since the title was heading back to Ibrox, he would have loved today

To the late Barcelona Bandits great times were had and we'll not forget you all. This day is about why we live wi blue blood in our veins and bleed RANGERS. WE ARE THE PEOPLE. NO SURRENDER.

I will raise a glass in memory of my uncles, George and Billy who introduced me to Rangers away back in the early 1960s.
Also to Billy Reid & Iain( Buddy) MacDonald all of them would have loved today.

The Ottawa RSC had some tough times as a supporters club over the past decade. There were times when even the staunchest member must have had doubts if either Rangers or the RSC would ever see this day. The Rangers are back, and the club is as healthy as it has ever been.

Sadly there were some of our brothers that never made it to the end of the journey, but their names are literally in with the bricks and their spirits in the stands at Ibrox today.

Iain Forsyth
Bill McCartney
Ken Burnie
Charlie Stewart
Bill Burns
Freddy McCallum
Bill Craig
Campbell Melvin

And a wee mention for Big Tam Forsyth too. He came over as a guest of honour for a soccer camp and our golf tournament. Couldn't have been more unassuming or more of a gentleman. Anyone looking in wouldn't have known who was the legend and who were the punters.

Never forgotten.

Last edited:
My dad and a variety of uncles will certainly be smiling somewhere knowing that normality has been restored.
Sadly the last game my dad saw was the play-off defeat to Motherwell.
The last game he was fit enough to attend was the day we won division three against Berwick Rangers and his words were ‘that was not my Rangers, these people have stolen our club’.
He died on his 86th birthday but I know he will be happy today.

One pal in particular would be holding court in the local pub right now. Gone a few years but think of him every significant victory. Cheers big man.

My brother in law Jim King.
Trying to find him the game on his last days in hospital was pretty memorable.

I sadly lost my Dad then my Mum within the first 6 months of 2020. I know my old man would have loved to see The Rangers back where we belong. I don’t believe in God or heaven or any man made religion but can understand why some people do when it comes to the fear of death for yourself or for loved ones. I think about them every day but raised a glass to them yesterday in amongst my celebrations, I remember my Dad saying “we are the people” from when I was about 4-5 and even though my wee mammy didn’t really have a clue about football she always cheered on The Rangers. If I inherit half of their goodness and decency I’ll be doing well.
WATP

Back