Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

mdingwall

Administrator
Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/

My Dad. The man who taught me about The Rangers.

Too many Rangers pals and acquaintances to mention separately.

They will all be watching from on high, with a very large glass in their hand.

To everyone, family, friends, former players, staff etc. Thank you for whatever role you had in our history and indeed future.

You will never be forgotten.

My father in law bonded over our love of Rangers. Both season ticket holders, we shared many games, conversations and memories together.

We lost him 31st March last year.

I know he will be looking down with a brandy and port (yes he mixed them!) with the biggest grin on his face.

Thanks for sharing that, very emotional.

A lot of good bears gone in recent years many far too young and should be enjoying this, a toast to them. Though it will always come back to my dad, who is no longer with us, who took me on my first trip to Ibrox nearly fourty years ago.

My Gran, My Granda and Gary Clark taken far far too young. Lost his battle with cancer not long before we were taken over by King and the 3 Bears as he entered what should have been his prime years for watching Rangers title winning teams. He will be up there with the biggest smile you can imagine.

With the angels i'll be singing. In Heaven up above.
I'll be singing follow follow to the Rangers that I love.

My dad.

In late 2012 he had a recurrence of some dizzy spells that had started about 10 years earlier. A scan had revealed a shadow on the right side of his brain at that time, bit as hed taken a kick in the head playing football in the 50s it was put down to that.
For about 4 months he was tested all over. A growth on his kidney was found and he was to have it removed in December 2012. The preop work found that the growth had disappeared and more tests were ordered. On th 10th Jan 2013 he was given the all clear. Great party that day, but things still weren't right. He was slower, he took longer to answer questions. This was put down to anxiety. Exactly 4 weeks later his legs went as he was out a walk. He got to see a doctor that night who thought he'd had a small stroke and we were sent to hospital for a scan. A stage four tumour was found on his brain.

Some treatment helped for a few months and he fought so hard but by September he was done and he died in late October 2013. There will be many similar tales in this thread and mine is in no way special but I think of him every day and I would go I've anything to celebrate this one with him. He would of loved watching this side

I posted about him dying in the longe the night he passed and whenever I felt low I'd read that thread. To all the people who posted in that and other such threads, know that your words helped me in more ways that you can imagine.

My Mum who had little interest in football died in 2016 and my Dad who gave me my love for football and more importantly for Rangers and who died in 2018. He had dementia for the last few years and never really understood about us having to work up the leagues - he used to point at the premiership table and wonder why we weren’t there. He would have understood 55 though!

Raising a glass to my old man who passed away in 2014.
My first memory of attending with him is the 76 cup final against Hearts. I was 6 yes old and, for reasons unknown to me, we were in the Hearts end. The old boy used to cut quite an imposing figure back in the day and I remember him proudly hoisting me on his shoulders so that I could see, him casually swatting away the abuse and derision coming his way.
Cheers Da, you would have loved this season.

My dad left us 2 years ago and my wee brother 3 years before that...got him a ticket for the lovenkrands final and he was in the north stand with his bright orange top on and bought the dvd as he could easily be seen a few rows from the front..we went to Manchester for the final and I miss him dearly. Life is not the same without the 2 of them and being a doctor I couldn’t do anything to save them ...miss them a lot and the bro will be smiling up there.Well done the bears for an incredible season.

My Dad. Lost him in November 2020 after a battle with the virus. He first took me to Ibrox during Walters nine in a row and I’ve been in love ever since. He was a remarkable man who taught me everything I know both professionally and personally. One thing looking back that truly amazes me is his resiliency during our struggles, he knew we would return and it was only a matter of when.
Like I posted on here a while ago, when Steven Gerrard became Rangers manager I had a strong gut feeling that he was the one and said that to my dad. He matter of factly responded that he is. Like everything else hearing that from my dad cemented that mindset and here we are today millimetres away proven to be right.
I miss him immensely but I know he will be celebrating up there with all of us.

Kenny Dalrymple 1948-2016.

He was a True Blue, followed the Gers all his life, home and away. Kenny worked with the old SSEB (which became Scottish Power) in the days when the electricity metres had to be emptied and he would regularly regale us with his "adventures" as we shall euphemistically call them. He later was employed at Compaq Bishopton as a security guard and then for a good number of years at the Royal Mail in Springburn, where he is still fondly remembered, even by the Tims I am told, despite royally ripping them on a regular basis.

A man of quick wit he could cut you down in a second, where your attempt at a riposte would come to mind days later!

He was a regular presence in the La Cala in Dennistoun, an occasional patron of the Horse Shoe Bar and latterly during his retirement, of the Bristol in Duke Street.

Kenny tragically lost his life in October 2016 and didn't get to complete the journey with us. He'd have been going mental with the rest of us yesterday, his smile beaming from ear to ear.

When it's official (later today hopefully) we'll raise a drink in his memory to our wonderful pal, who lived for his beloved Rangers.

55-This is for you Dolly-D :))

Brian Fulton. Brian was well known to many on here. I remember he literally went years without missing a game, Europe, friendlies included. Then disaster struck. Brian caught the flu and missed a league game. The flu he recovered from, but his broken record I don’t think he ever did. He lived not just for Rangers but he lived Rangers.
A Barrhead boy, we all still think of you Brian. You’ll be loving this I’m sure.

My father George. Taken from us the Christmas just before we went into administration.

Would’ve broken his heart to see the turmoil the club suffered but I know he’d also be ever so proud at the way the club has lived on & fought its way back to the top!

WATP

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
My dad Gus Campbell , QSTB members Davy Beveridge (founder member)
Gregor Gibbons
Alistair Berry

Brian Fulton. Brian was well known to many on here. I remember he literally went years without missing a game, Europe, friendlies included. Then disaster struck. Brian caught the flu and missed a league game. The flu he recovered from, but his broken record I don’t think he ever did. He lived not just for Rangers but he lived Rangers.
A Barrhead boy, we all still think of you Brian. You’ll be loving this I’m sure.
I worked with Brian many years ago. First tea-break he immediately produced a Rangers News to read.
We hit it off right away!

My Dad, Ian Mackay

Passed away January 2010, so missed the troubles we have endured in the last 10 years.

Not a day has passed during that time when I haven't thought about my Dad or the Rangers.

I have already been up to the Cemetery to chat to him this morning.

God Bless you Dad and the Rangers.

To my Dad who was lost to Covid in November aged 87. Our last chat was about well Rangers were playing and he was gone 24 hours later. I haven't been able to get back from oz and it will be quite some time before I do but I know he is watching and cheering every match.

My mum, died after a short battle with lung cancer in 2014. She passed on her love of Rangers, and took me to my first cup final in 76.

My father-in-law, we bonded over a love of good whisky, trains and Rangers. He left us in 2019 aged 96. We went to and watched many games together over the 25 years I knew him.

My old colleague and former FF admin PastMaster95&244 (David Templeton), who we lost in 2018.

This one is for you all!

My Grandad who passed away in 2016. He was here to see us get promoted to the Prem and beat the mentally challengeds in the cup semi. And my old workmate Sandy, a right bluenose.
They weren't far from my thoughts yesterday and I'll drink to them (Moretti of course ;)) when we lift that trophy

Latest posts

Back