Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

My dad. Took me to my first game when I was 5. That was the beginning of 55 years of follow following appropriately. Sadly he passed away after only a year of our journey back. We talked of us getting back to where we belong and how long that might be just a couple of days before he was gone.. We were in no doubt we would one day but accepted it could be some time. Now 55 is here my glass is raised to him and all the others we sadly lost on the way.

My step-dad died in November and was a lifelong fan and 'club culture enthusiast' who followed them everywhere before his stroke. He followed them after his stroke until it wasn't possible. I got him to the Stranraer game last year, which was great.

George Craig, Linwood/Neilston - You were right.

For my beloved father Vinnie 2002 took me 1960 aged 8 to my first game,Brother Stephen 2 years on 9th march sadly missed,uncle Ernie.Papa Bobo,and taken too young Garry telfer Dumfries true blues,thinking of you all at this sad but wonderful time Rest in peace xxxxxx all of you !

There's 9 Bears on my phone contacts who I hugged, danced, drank, sang, laughed, argued and travelled with all over Europe and even further afield. I try desperately hard not to think of missing out on 55, but rather enjoy the times we had. I'm not going to go through all my departed pals, I'll end up drunk and morose. When I started reading this thread however, a very poignant and vivid memory of Tim Harvey (ttbluenose) came flooding back. In those dark uncertain days of 2012, Ulster Bears sold rosettes for RTID outside Ibrox on the last game of the season against Motherwell. Tim contacted me, as he wanted to help out. Him and his wee boy turned up, took a box of rosettes and off they went, raising money to help our club. Less than 9 years later, Rangers have completed the journey. Tim, sadly passed just a few games into this season.

For all those bears and bearettes who have left us since #54, rest easy, we have achieved the greatest comeback since Lazarus. We have journeyed in that time from defeats to Annan and Stirling Albion to being undefeated in the Premier League and Europe. The one constant in that journey has been us, the supporters. I for one will be raising several glasses over the next few weeks to my absent friends.

GBNF & FBS

2 Kilwinning boys:

David Scaife - bowler, singer and all round entertainer. Wouldn't have got to half he places I did without the big man getting me tickets. Lost him 2 years ago.

John Evans - There are not enough words I can use to express my admiration and love for this man. My main travel companion on our lower league travels. Brightened up many a day with his stories and encyclopedic knowledge of the game. Legend of the Ayrshire junior game due to his time with the Buffs and Ardeer.
It will be a lonely walk to Ibrox from Helen Street without you auld pal.

5-A74-DE12-68-FB-411-E-877-E-11-F4-D4-D17539.jpg

Mine is my mate Stephen Monkhouse who was actually a Celtic fan. He didn’t see 54, as he was killed in Afghanistan in 2010, however as one of my absolute best mates we gave each other pelters over the football, and I was heartbroken when he was taken from us so young. He was supposed to be my daughters Godather but was on a tour of Iraq when she was christened.

I was in the Greenock Rangers when we finally got a league win over then when Ryan Jack scored and at the full time whistle, I raised my glass to the sky and gave him a wee “Get it right up ye” since that was the kind of banter we had back in the day. I’d love if he were here for the shite I’d give him over 55, the big loveable dafty that he was.

God rest you my friend.

My uncle Jim who was the one who convinced ma da,that taking the boys to the football was a better idea than just standing in the red lion getting pissed.
Also a mention to a solid couple of Bears from Abronhill Cumbernauld.
Colin McKenzie and Peter Wright god bless

I know my father mother and brother and sister will be smiling today with the title coming back to thankfully my dad and mother didn't witness 2012 my father would've wanted to rip a few people heads off but he was a proud Glasgow man and a proud rangers fan as for my mum she would be proud of Stevie g i think she would say he a proper rangers fan so I'm sure they will have a party in heaven miss them all

I’ll post on behalf of my mate who lost his dad John Robertson from Cumbernauld a few years ago and His mate Brian who we lost at the end of 2012.

For myself I thought about big Billy Reid from drumchapel the biggest Rangers man I ever knew he stood outside the stadium bar on a matchday sorting boys out with tickets for the bears followed home & abroad watching the Glasgow Rangers

My Dad. The man who taught me about The Rangers.

Too many Rangers pals and acquaintances to mention separately.

They will all be watching from on high, with a very large glass in their hand.

To everyone, family, friends, former players, staff etc. Thank you for whatever role you had in our history and indeed future.

You will never be forgotten.
Well said mate to absent friends and family WATP

There's 9 Bears on my phone contacts who I hugged, danced, drank, sang, laughed, argued and travelled with all over Europe and even further afield. I try desperately hard not to think of missing out on 55, but rather enjoy the times we had. I'm not going to go through all my departed pals, I'll end up drunk and morose. When I started reading this thread however, a very poignant and vivid memory of Tim Harvey (ttbluenose) came flooding back. In those dark uncertain days of 2012, Ulster Bears sold rosettes for RTID outside Ibrox on the last game of the season against Motherwell. Tim contacted me, as he wanted to help out. Him and his wee boy turned up, took a box of rosettes and off they went, raising money to help our club. Less than 9 years later, Rangers have completed the journey. Tim, sadly passed just a few games into this season.

For all those bears and bearettes who have left us since #54, rest easy, we have achieved the greatest comeback since Lazarus. We have journeyed in that time from defeats to Annan and Stirling Albion to being undefeated in the Premier League and Europe. The one constant in that journey has been us, the supporters. I for one will be raising several glasses over the next few weeks to my absent friends.

GBNF & FBS
Brilliant read mate god bless you WATP NEVER FORGET

Alan Ferguson

Your beloved team are back where they belong,hope you are smiling up there pal,thinking of you.

To my Dad who passed away December 2020 after another stroke. He'd had his heart attacks x 2 and then big stroke which meant full time care. He recovered somewhat and was able to get out to watch games with myself, my Mum and brother (was wheelchair bound) but was never the same man. What always remained was his love for the Rangers, always asking about scores/games/players etc. Even right up to that fateful day, he had the night before enjoyed a few pints watching our win away to Lech Poznan.
Will never forget you Dad, this title means more than just 55 for myself and my family - this somewhat feels like yours title Dad.
Hope you are up there partying and singing as you would. GBNF

Last edited:
Today is for all those mentioned above and for all the others who saw 54 but not 55 and who will not be forgotten.

Sandy Jardine would have been a proud and happy man today. Possibly somewhere in the stand that bears his name, seeing what he fought so hard for come to pass.

But today is also for the 66. My grandfather died about 18 months ago. He was one of the lucky ones who got out of that stairwell safely that day. But not everyone did. In the season of the 50th anniversary of the disaster it is fitting that we bring the league trophy home for them.

May all those who have left us rest in peace and all those who miss them find some comfort today.

My brother, Graeme Scott (was a poster on here as ‘emearg’ who would have been going utterly mental today. We went to the games together for decades despite massive geographical differences, we always seemed to make it to the West Enclosure on a Saturday or Wednesday evening.
He was at pretty much every game home and away once we started the climb back up.
Taken far too young and suddenly from us, he would have loved it today.

In the last few years I've lost bluenose friends to cancer, accident and suicide.

I love to picture them looking down from the heavens like that bit in Star Wars but I'm not that naive.

But Jim, Jordan, and William, Every glass I raise tonight is dedicated to you guys. We are and even beyond death will be the people!

Back