Absent Friends - raise a glass for those Bears who saw 54 but are sadly not with us for 55

I'll be raising a glass to my father who I lost to Parkinson's in 2014. I stopped going to the games when he was diagnosed and we watched as many games as we could together at home. Remember watching us win the league against kilmarnock the last time we won the league. I'll be thinking of him when Tav lifts that trophy on Saturday! Love you dad!

My dad passed away on the 2nd February 2013, that was also the day we lost 3-0 at Tannadice in the cup

A very bleak day for me personally and It all seemed a long way back for us as a club back then...

Will be thinking of him again when we raise that trophy on Saturday afternoon

My darling wife,who passed away in December 2019. Always wanted to go to an OF game with me,but due to her outrageous opinions of Lennon and Brown,she'd have been arrested. Nevertheless,i loved her for her staunchness.
She'll certainly be celebrating in Ibrox heaven on the 15th. Miss you Yvonne,see you further down the road pal.

My wife who passed away in January 2014 from breast cancer.

Not really a football fan, nevertheless she was a true blue and went to some of the games with me.

Very sorely missed, she was my everything really, my best friend, my lover and the mother to my 2 girls. She,ll be smiling down with the long awaited league 55. God bless her.

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
Had to stop reading all the posts,I'm in tearsSo sad,for my late dad Vinnie who started me as a blue nose when I was 8 in 1960,my dear brother Stephen sadly 2 years gone in march,papa bobo,uncle ernie,and taken to soon Garry Telfer(Dumfries true blue)all sadly missed but hopefully cheered us on to 55 up in our blue heaven,miss you all so much and too EVERYONE ON HERE,who has lost a friend or a loved one once again I stretch my arms out from here in Dumfries and give you all the RANGERS FAMILY the biggest hug I can,god bless you all WATP

My Mum, passed away 11th April 2020 after a year long battle with lung cancer.

Originally from Manchester, she was a huge Man City fan but upon moving to Scotland decided Rangers would be her Scottish team. I had no interest in football until I hit my early teens and I'm glad I followed my Mums leanings as my Dad is a Hibee.

I spent many a drunken night in the pub with Mum watching games until we discovered the local supporters club and started going to games.

Right until the end Mum loved discussing what was happening in the footballing world and I am absolutely gutted she missed 55.

In Memory of my Great Brother-in-Law Lance Innes who was sadly taken from my wee sis, his Wife Jacqui, 24/11/2019, Lance was a great Rangers Bear, and along with me, he loved showing Ibrox off to our American Cousins, he's sadly missed, never forgotten

Lance was from Broxburn, he served his Country in the Gordon Highlanders, after the Army, he then helped save life as a qualified Paramedic, but when the attacks on him and his Ambulance got to many, he left, he then worked for a recycling company, who gave him the wrong tools for the job, and caused his disability, Lance was never able to work again

Lance suffered from serious Gall Stones, but the Health Board where he lived, ignored his painful problem, he suddenly took seriously ill with Pancreatitis, and sadly, within 5 days, we lost Lance

RIP LANCE, a Great Husband, Son-in-Law and Brother-in-Law

Last edited:
A more recent one, Davie Provan. He would have loved today.
Missed this Thread, only just saw it today, David would have loved how this season ended up.

5 months already, unbelievable & in the most tragic of circumstances.

A Granite stone with his name on it has been ordered by my Sister which will be in place at the Broomloan stand walkway in January 2022

Our great friend Eric Woods who passed away the Friday after we clinched 55. Eric was in his 81 st year and had been struck with dementia this past 18 months.
Eric loved the Rangers. He'd been in Barcelona in 72.
Whenever we met my final words to him was always," Eric, Mon The Rangers". Eric's reply was always " Every day".
That Sunday we won 55,we hope the dementia lifted for 5 seconds and he heard Rangers won the league.

My father and my mother. My mother's anniversary of her passing falls on Saturday 15th so its sure going to be mega emotional.

Ma thanks for your unconditional love and the amazing upbringing and the stories you told me of bygone days of your youth and the Rangers greats who were your favourite players. Love you forever Ma and Da.

I'll meet yous at The Gates Of Ibrox.

Last edited:
I have started to write a reply to this thread 3 times now and deleted each one as i end up going on and on and on as things are still very raw.

What i will say is this.
For all of us who have lost someone, all our family and friends that we will be thinking of when our captain finally lifts that trophy aloft...remember you are not alone.
We have all, all of us, made this journey together and although some are no longer here...they will be with us when the cheers ring out.

Ladies and gentlemen gathered on this post and reflecting of those loved ones who are no longer with us.
I recently lost my cousin (his cremation is on Thursday at Craigton Cemetery), he was a big Rangers fan and would have loved to be involved in the celebrations at the weekend.
So I will be raising a few glasses on Saturday as we all watch our football club lift its 55th title....
My thoughts and best wishes are with EVERYONE on this thread....
Gone but never forgotten...

Been through the thread and didn't see him mentioned, apologies if I missed it.

Ally Redford, Stoke On Trent RSC

Words cannot really describe what he did for the RSC & individual Bears. A true Ranger who is sadly missed.

I hope his family are finding peace in the joy of the memories we all have of him.

My beautiful daughter, Charlotte, who passed away at 19 years old in 2018. Came to all the games with us at the supporters club. Sadly missed, fondly remembered, would have enjoyed the celebrations. From your broken hearted Dad. xx
So sorry mate heartbreaking, lost a few great pals in the last few years who were big Rangers men, also had a massive heart attack at the start of December last year. Apart from my family all I could think about was ffs please let me see 55 luckily I seen it, but my friend I’m heart broken for you.

So sorry mate heartbreaking, lost a few great pals in the last few years who were big Rangers men, also had a massive heart attack at the start of December last year. Apart from my family all I could think about was ffs please let me see 55 luckily I seen it, but my friend I’m heart broken for you.

Amongst my fondest memories of Charlotte was taking her to Ibrox for a couple of games. Happy times. Have figured out I’ll never get over it, you just learn to cope (mostly). Stay fit and healthy Bellasboy and enjoy the weekend ahead.

Robert Watt - Little Boy Blue

Robert wrote for Follow Follow - both fanzine and website - for many years. We had our ups and down but he was a staunch friend with a never-ending sense of humour.

In 2011 he was diagnosed with leukaemia and survived to have some great years only to relapse and pass away in less than 24 hours.

In an email to me from hospital - reproduced below - he mentions both the 54 and the 55 - he kinda summed up his attitude to life - his various loves and likes. It resonates with me still.

Robert, this one is for you my friend.

Let the landlord fill up your glasses, and friendship fill up your hearts.

TNuHq1F.png

WSiqlHI.png

DD6wEo7.jpg

You can read more about Robert here - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...e-lost-robert-watt-aka-little-boy-blue.19526/
My uncle George Hannah will be smiling down on the troops on Saturday! A member of the Grapes Bar Loyal Supporters Bus, saw us win the cup winners cup in Barcelona, he’d have loved Saturday coming! Gone but never forgotten! WATP

Last edited:
My beautiful daughter, Charlotte, who passed away at 19 years old in 2018. Came to all the games with us at the supporters club. Sadly missed, fondly remembered, would have enjoyed the celebrations. From your broken hearted Dad. xx
Tried to type a post earlier mate,and still welling up,no words can help ease your pain,broken hearted for you my friend,just remember the good times yours aye.

My Dear brother Charlie who noticed when on leave that my football allegiance was heading towards Leeds of the early 70s, he rectified the situation by introducing me, by means of turnstyle throwing to the greatest football club in the World, tears are now blinding me, there is no Rangers fan in the World who has not suffered, we are all one, and today we will share tears for all our loved ones, when you toast youre loved ones, you toast that common bond Rangers, i am a hauf pissed and i have a half litre of sambuca demolished with a lirte to go, bubblin again but tears of joy, always remebered to all the Bears in heaven enjoy and ma brother who is probably given the Devil a Hard time in hell,
Fine words mate!

Amongst my fondest memories of Charlotte was taking her to Ibrox for a couple of games. Happy times. Have figured out I’ll never get over it, you just learn to cope (mostly). Stay fit and healthy Bellasboy and enjoy the weekend ahead.
Even after almost ten years of losing my laddie, it still brings a tear when I read about others going through this. You’re spot on, you learn to cope but there’s always a trigger out there somewhere and that has to be dealt with too.
I’ll raise a wee glass to Charlotte on Saturday along with one for my Callum. Hopefully the team get a result for them.

My old neighbour Emil, my cousin Harry who got to play from the Gers reserves in the era just before Souness they would have been celebrating right in the thick of it like the rest of us

And a very special mention for Gregor Gibbons who sat with his wife, brother, nephews and mother in our row at Ibrox, great lad and i hope he's up there smiling and getting it right up them...if there are actually any of them in heaven that is!

Alister Campbell (SonsieFace on Twitter) was an absolute Rangers nut and I’ve been thinking of him a lot recently.

Good Rangers man, loved his Rangers history and helped Chic Sharpe with early versions of the spreadsheet.
Ally will be looking on and nodding this weekend.

My uncle Wull, a Govan man who spent the last 40 odd years in Fauldhouse. His love of The Rangers was mentioned at his funeral at the Linn last year. Sadly, he had no family to carry on his traditions, but me and my brothers will always fondly remember him and his gentle manner.
Allan B, a Castlemilk Bear who ate, slept and breathed The Rangers. He fought a helluva fight against cancer, but he passed away knowing that Steven Gerrard had us moving in the right direction towards #55. His love of our club carries on in his proud family.
Duncan Mc, a larger-than-life diamond of a man from the east end of Glasgow.
A legendary Rangers man, Big Dunc left us in December knowing that we would be champions again. He was well known around Glasgow after 40 years in the Glasgow Hackney trade, and he could fairly belt out a song or two in bars around the city. His love for The Rangers lives on in his sons.
Wull, Allan and Duncan will be in my thoughts when we complete our comeback and lift that trophy on Saturday 15 May. God bless you all.

Last edited:
My father in law John Irvine who we lost on the 16th April 2021 aged 87. A lifelong member of New Stevenson Loyal FB and the proudest Rangers man. We celebrated John’s 80th at Ibrox with the family and I’m telling you he was like a 16 year old boy, full of pride and excitement looking out onto the stadium. We got him a granite brick placed at Ibrox last year, he was so chuffed and a copy of the stone took pride of place in his bedroom.

As he got older and unable to attend games, for years we offered to get him Sky etc.. to watch the games, no chance, every game, he retired to the kitchen with his radio and listened to live coverage, right up until the end.

Lived in Carfin of all places for 35 years, much respected and loved by his neighbours and friends regardless of heritage, religion and his very open love for all things Rangers.
A truly decent and principled man who genuinely cared for others and I can only hope to life my life in the way he lived his.

He gave so much to us all and never, ever asked for anything in return. I’m truly thankful he got to see 55, it meant the world to him. We all miss you terribly John and you will be in my thoughts on Saturday, see you some where down the line old pal.

My dad died around 3/4 weeks ago and it's still so raw. I am grateful that he knew the league was won as not many have been so lucky. I remember he said "I was glad I was alive to see it" as he knew he was dying. The last thing I said to him was that I was going to set up premier sports for him to watch the old firm game on 18/04/21. I didn't know that was going to be the last thing I said to him.

I set him up with heart and hand and he loved it despite knowing he was dying as it gave him much needed escapism and he could fully indulge in all things Rangers. It was the only thing that really brightened him up.

His main passions in life were music and Rangers. He was there in the 1972 and was the first and last time he was ever abroad. He brought us all up (including my mum) as Rangers supporters.

I was a daddy's girl and I truly loved him with all my heart. I don't know how I am going to get through the game on Saturday.

My thoughts are with everyone who have lost loved ones during this bittersweet time.

I made a post in the lounge some time ago about my Ibrox buddy Dunky who sadly passed away late last year, he too witnessed 54 but sadly 55 came too late for him.

He loved all that encompasses Rangers, he was a family man and would give you his last coin, a gent through and through and he also got me through some tough times in my life.

He is sadly missed and I will raise a glass for him on Saturday and to all the other bears who sadly missed out witnessing our 55th title win.

To Absent friends.

My mate Ryan Storrie, Dubai based Ayrshire Bear who sadly passed away just over a year ago due to this virus. I know how much this season would have meant to him and many others no longer with us.
I’m sure they’ll all be upstairs raising a glass to the famous Glasgow Rangers. GBNF

My old man iain jarvis. Born in larkhall and raised his family in east kilbride. Left us in 2017 aged 62. I would have loved to have celebrated this with him. Rangers daft. Knocked back a pro contract with leeds in the 70's to watch rangers every sat. So happy and proud to be his lad and delighted he brought me up being a bluenose. Will defo be looking out his whiskey glass and drinking a half from it on saturday.

Thoughts are with everyone else who has lost someone since our last title win.

Last edited:
Back