Absolutely outraged at this behaviour at a primary school

It's always difficult when this sort of thing happens there's not an absolute answer to the problem, every family is different as is every child. Some kids aren't suited to fighting others are. Personally I think your doing the correct thing in following it up officially but keep a close eye on your child's mood when he gets home there are many forms of bullying.
I hope you get this resolved quickly and have no further problems.

Another reason why I'll likely bring my kids up abroad. An absolute nonsense that kids need to put up with this shite and the fact the sectarianism industry is still booming means its not gonna change anytime soon.

When I was back recently felt like half the parents I spoke to had a bullying anecdote to tell me. Nothing quite as serious as this thread thankfully, but certainly put me off moving home with my son.

I love how everybody is assuming that the dad of a bully is a 5'4, 7st weakling who would just stand on his doorstep and let somebody batter f*ck out of him because his kid hit their kid at school. This isn't Hollywood.
Years ago I had to go round and speak to a dad who's son had been bullying and quite nasty to my daughter.

I was clear I was just going to explain the situation and hope they see sense and he can sort his son out.

Bizarrely, probably because of seeing my daughter so upset, I had in the back of my head that if he didn't respond how I wanted, I was going to do my best impression of a Glasgow hard man and tell the wee Essex man what would happen if he doesn't sort it.

The dad comes to the door and he's about 6ft4 and built like a brick shithouse. :shh:

Thankfully he was brand new and disgusted with his son. And got it sorted.

Fack, his son was probably bigger than me as well. B-D

I find this all a bit odd, to be honest.
We have been given only one kid's version of events, accepted it as fact and advised accordingly.
How does a Dad know the number of Catholic kid's in a child's class? Is this easily available information?

My 6 year old son was attacked today at school by one of the kids in his class because he said he supported Rangers. One of the Tim kids punched him several times in his face and neck. (I might add that there’s an RC primary less than 100 yards away but there somehow are 5 Tims in his class,) While I am very much anti Celtic I have told him repeatedly if other kids in your class support other teams that’s absolutely fine. I am absolutely fucking raging. We are contacting the Head Teacher tomorrow to say if she doesn’t do something about it we’re going to the Education Department at Glasgow City Council and kicking up absolute %^*&.
How is your boy now mate? Has anything happened since you posted this? Hope you get this sorted and your son is ok.

In my experience with family and friends that’s exactly how it works for most. But hey am a dinosaur as well.
Maybe that's how it works for some, but for others who are straight out the door at work with an assault conviction and struggling to get a new job, what would you suggest?

That's an interesting statement.
Looking back to my days at high school, the catholics were maybe less than 1-2% of the boys in my year. There were maybe 3 or 4 of them and they had brothers/sisters/lovers in other years. NONE of them were from good families and ALL of the males ended up doing time after school.
That small sample would tend to lean toward your statement being correct.
Remember the Herald years back had an article re religion to prisoners, back then it was something in the region of approx 70%+. Could you imagine today in this shitty little Country trying to get those figures under freedom of interest, may hurt the Natsis core vote.

Primary school. Kids normally act like this because of parental influences. They copy and see how adults act towards rangers fans and act out accordingly.

Dreading it happening to my boy as well as there’s nothing for it other than for him to stand up for himself and give twice as much back. Nothing else works.

Press propaganda is driving the hate and violence against our fans. See the other post about an attack on a poster's house.

Expect more of this in the future.

Maybe that's how it works for some, but for others who are straight out the door at work with an assault conviction and struggling to get a new job, what would you suggest?
Hahaha I never agreed with challenging the Da at their door. I was agreeing with the poster who said to teach the kid to fight and to stand up for himself.

It’s a fight between 6 year olds, you can’t fight your kids battles but you can prepare them

Hahaha I never agreed with challenging the Da at their door. I was agreeing with the poster who said to teach the kid to fight and to stand up for himself.

It’s a fight between 6 year olds, you can’t fight your kids battles but you can prepare them
Hahaha tells me all I need to know.

Idiot.

Whats sectarian about it? OP said its because he is a Rangers fan? We dont all follow the same religion

Regardless of what you think Rangers as an institution are still viewed as a Protestant club. Do you think the lad that was attacked would have been attacked if he supported any other team in the world?

Regardless of what you think Rangers as an institution are still viewed as a Protestant club. Do you think the lad that was attacked would have been attacked if he supported any other team in the world?

So he was attacked because of his football team, not his perceived religion. Had the kids been calling him "proddy this or that" then fine but to me it reads like a group of wee bastards who happen to support Celtic picking on a boy that supports Rangers. That isn't always sectarianism and doesn't read like it in this case. Going down this road makes us as bad as the like of call it out and demeams actual religious hate crime.

So he was attacked because of his football team, not his perceived religion. Had the kids been calling him "proddy this or that" then fine but to me it reads like a group of wee bastards who happen to support Celtic picking on a boy that supports Rangers. That isn't always sectarianism and doesn't read like it in this case. Going down this road makes us as bad as the like of call it out and demeams actual religious hate crime.

Aiden McGeady doesnt agree.

Always strikes me as odd that some recommend this approach.

What if the Dad in question turns out to be spectacularly useful with his fists?
A bit of research prior to rattling on his door would be my approach.
Sit and wait for him to exit his door.

Built like a brick shit house-Let sleeping dogs lie.

Built like an anorexic Julian Clarey- Batter the fucker to within an inch of his life.

This isnt just about kids fighting though, its a bigger issue that that. This other child needs to be taught that attacking someone because they support Rangers isnt right and thats learned behaviour that needs explained to the child that, this is wrong behaviour.

Last edited:
Dont agree with you at all.

Stupid reply.
40 years old and you don't know the difference between 'learn' and teach. You're not really the kind of person the OP should take advice from.
Nearly as bad as the "batter his da' idiots".
I don't think it's a stupid reply. Using learn instead of teach is irrelevant because you knew exactly what Lizzie meant.

For the record. Teaching your son or taking him to an establishment that teaches self defense is great advice IMO.

I was brought up in the Calton in Glasgow in the 50's and 60's. Some of my classmates were supporters of that other mob but in all of the years I attended primary school I never knew anybody to lay a finger on a schoolmate because of the team they supported. My secondary school was John Street in Bridgeton which was full of Bears, but nobody ever fought about football with any of the guys who supported that mob - and there were a few. The situation that the op described has to be brought to the attention of the school's headcteacher and they then need to raise it with the parents of the children concerned.
Same for me in the 90s.

In Primary, I was one of the few who supported Rangers and not once did anyone say anything.

I went to Stonelaw High and no one picked on anyone because of their football allegiances.

Even the guy that supported Aberdeen didn't get picked on.

Boxing would be my advice added bonus you can do pad and bag work as bonding time as well at home my 2 (son and daughter) were hitting pads from about the age of 4, great for hand eye coordination and movement.

To the OP. Yes take it up with the school and ensure it stops.

But listen to people like Lizzie and Gary Mitchell.

Boxing is a great for self defense.

@Johansen I think your reply to Lizzie saying teach your son to defend himself, is bollocks. If a child is getting bullied, teaching them to defend themselves isn't bad advise.

To the OP. Yes take it up with the school and ensure it stops.

But listen to people like Lizzie and Gary Mitchell.

Boxing is a great for self defense.

@Johansen I think your reply to Lizzie saying teach your son to defend himself, is bollocks. If a child is getting bullied, teaching them to defend themselves isn't bad advise.
I agree with what you're saying as regards teaching kids to defend themselves but in saying that not every child has that in their nature, that's when bullying comes into it.

Another reason why I'll likely bring my kids up abroad. An absolute nonsense that kids need to put up with this shite and the fact the sectarianism industry is still booming means its not gonna change anytime soon.
You're just swapping one issue with another though - my kids have done all of their schooling in England and now Cyprus, not one school year has passed without a kid saying "why don't you go home" to them.

Teaching your kids to sand up for themselves (by educating them about their roots and self defence) is a far better option.

I agree with what you're saying as regards teaching kids to defend themselves but in saying that not every child has that in their nature, that's when bullying comes into it.
I honestly think this is something training fixes I've known some really quiet folk that can flip the switch in a heartbeat when necessary, I think it's a confidence thing knowing someone can hurt you is obvious knowing you can hurt someone not so much imo.

You're just swapping one issue with another though - my kids have done all of their schooling in England and now Cyprus, not one school year has passed without a kid saying "why don't you go home" to them.

Teaching your kids to sand up for themselves (by educating them about their roots and self defence) is a far better option.
I suppose it matters where you bring them up. Certain areas of the Middle East don't suffer with that as it's so multicultural and you have very little integration with the locals. Also, it's not binary, I can teach my kids how to stand up for themselves and remove them from this backwater.

The vast majority of Rangers fans probably don't follow any religion.

Stupid reply.
40 years old and you don't know the difference between 'learn' and teach. You're not really the kind of person the OP should take advice from.
Nearly as bad as the "batter his da' idiots".
The tone of "batter his Da" and other such advice is a bit crude. However I am reminded of a father I know whose daughter (teenage) had, without him knowing, been bullied in school over many months.
The ringleader was identified and teacher, Head of Year, Head Teacher, Board of Governors all spoken with without success despite the problem being acknowledged.
Said father visits ringleaders Dad and "suggests" that next time his daughter is bullied the ringleaders Dad will be bullied.
Strangely, things got better overnight.

I find this all a bit odd, to be honest.
We have been given only one kid's version of events, accepted it as fact and advised accordingly.
How does a Dad know the number of Catholic kid's in a child's class? Is this easily available information?

Calm down, Columbo.

They might not go to church but I think you would see the vast majority of Rangers fans would perceive themselves as Protestant.
In the 2011 census 35% were Protestant and 43% didn't have a religion. It will probably be less after this year's census. Most people go to church for a wedding or a funeral.

I suppose it matters where you bring them up. Certain areas of the Middle East don't suffer with that as it's so multicultural and you have very little integration with the locals. Also, it's not binary, I can teach my kids how to stand up for themselves and remove them from this backwater.
The middle east is rarely referred to for its openness to other cultures, if you are living in a gated community in the middle east, then I also fail to see how your kids will avoid any form of conflict with other British kids out there.

I would definitely teach the kids to defend themselves regardless of where you bring them up.

Back