Abuse victim says torment carried on when he signed for Parkhead club

Celtic Manager Jock Stein and his assistant (Head of Recruiting) Sean Fallon handing out awards at a Celtic Boys Club event in 1974. The headline in the club magazine The Celtic View reads "Jim bows out..."
Jim is the convicted paedophile Jim Torbett.

_102226794_jimbowsout_1.jpg

Another Celtic Boys Club prize-giving event from the previous year (1973).

Torbett with Stein sitting in front.

_102227086_torbett2_mda_tba_1831r2s.jpg

Stein and club Captain Billy McNeill with beast Torbett behind filmed handing out awards at the event.

_102227492_torbett2_mda_tba_1831rs.jpg

Separate entity anyone?

Celtic won't step up as the abusers have more on them that they let this happen.

If they turn on members of "the ring" further evidence from those turned on will probably come to light. Torbett was paid off with his 1 million, how many others to keep their traps shut of Celtics complicity? Their only hope is sweep sweep.

Hope the whole lot falls on them soon, rancid bastards.

I genuinely cannot believe nothing is being done about the systematic abuse of children over a period of decades, simply to protect the 'good' name of a rancid football club. My anger is growing more and more from Mostly covering the vile club to including the Scottish media and justice system. Why the %^*& is nothing being done about this? Look at all the shit with the BBC and Operation Yewtree. How deep does this go? Is this another ring of seismic proportions? Is this being ignored because it is tied in with BBC and politicians? This is a scandal on an international level and it's being completely ignored, but not in a completely blackout way, that would make their motives too obvious. It's something like this, every now and then the paper will run a front page then never mention it again, the BBC will post an article online that is bumped off by some nothing football story ASAP. This is a deliberate tactic that allows them to go "Of course it's being reported and dealt with, look, it was in this paper here and the BBC spoke of it there" and make it look like it's paranoid point scoring from bitter rangers fans. I know we use the term scum often to refer to them, but those involved in this from a number of institutions are genuine, genuine scum, and I wish the NCA would get involved with this - unfortunately their full jurisdiction only covers England, Wales and NI, and they'd need express permission from Scottish government and legal system to act on this case :rolleyes:

Fuckin horrendous man. Paedos protecting paedos everywhere, and every other kunt burying their head in the sand.

Well I fukin hope they don't take tickets for the 29th, and I hope there's never an allocation for us at their place ever again, cause the thought of rangers fans funding their sick, abusive cult makes me retch.

Paradise? Aye, Coolio got that one right,

"Been spending most your lives complicit in a paedos paradise."
Paedodise

Celtic Manager Jock Stein and his assistant (Head of Recruiting) Sean Fallon handing out awards at a Celtic Boys Club event in 1974. The headline in the club magazine The Celtic View reads "Jim bows out..."

Stein and club Captain Billy McNeill with beast Torbett behind filmed handing out awards at the event.

Separate entity anyone?
Further proof that they were indeed the same entity.

A FORMER football coach who is alleged to have molested youngsters was highly respected due to his links with legendary Celtic manager Jock Stein, a court has heard.

Frank Cairney, 82, ran a boys football team in Viewpark, Lanarkshire, where he trained dozens of budding starlets.

Cairney, of Viewpark, was known to have links with Stein and adopted training methods dubbed ‘the Celtic way’.

But an ex-professional footballer has told a trial he was abused by Cairney when he was a teenager and played for his St Columba’s Boys Guild team in 1965.

Cairney is on trial at Hamilton Sheriff Court and denies 10 charges of historic sexual abuse spanning between 1965 and 1986 including allegations of indecent assault at Celtic’s former Barrowfield training ground.

A jury heard the footballer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, say youngsters were keen to join the team due to Cairney’s known links to Stein.

The 67-year-old, who played for a number of senior teams during his career, said rumours had surrounded Cairney and boys tried not to be alone with him.

He wept as he told jurors he stayed silent over the alleged abuse due to fears it would harm his career.

Under questioning from depute fiscal Paula Russell, the man said he was aged around 15 or 16 when he encountered Cairney.

He said: “Frank Cairney managed the team and he was excellent and had wonderful close links to Jock Stein and we used to train the Celtic way as they would say and that is why so many good players came from Viewpark.

“There was a kitchen in the church hall where he had a bed and would give us a professional rub but you didn’t like to go in yourself because there had been rumours.

“When it happened to me I knew what they were talking about, it happened to me a couple of times maybe four.

“There was also a time when I was running late and Frank offered to give me a lift and when he was driving put his hand onto me and started rubbing my thighs close to my groin and only stopped when we got to the end of the road.

“I didn’t say anything because I was embarrassed and scared to say anything.

“I wanted to play football and wanted to continue playing football so didn’t say anything, he had links and could say to another team not to sign me or something so I kept my mouth shut.

“The way it happened showed he didn’t give two monkeys and I think he thought, ‘he won’t say anything, he won’t do anything.’

“When it stopped he was totally nonchalant as if nothing had ever happened.

“After the incident in the car I stayed well clear of him.”

He added: “There would be no benefit whatsoever to lie, why would I stand here and tell lies when I have nothing to hide? What I was doing was hiding the truth from myself.”

Cairney faces charges he abused one 14-year-old boy on various occasions at the Barrowfield ground as well as other locations in Glasgow and Lanarkshire between September 1969 and December 1972.

And he also faces an alternative charge of committing an alleged act of gross indecency against the same boy between September 1969 and December 1971 at the same locations.

Prosecutors also allege he indecently assaulted another 14-year-old boy at the training ground between January 1985 and December 1986.

He is further accused of indecent assault against three other boys aged between 14 and 17 at various Lanarkshire locations including a church between May 1965 and May 1970.

Cairney faces separate charges of alleged lewd, indecent and libidinous behaviour against two 12-year-old boys between December 1965 and December 1969 in Lanarkshire.

The trial before Sheriff Daniel Kelly QC continues.

I can’t get my head around how they are getting away with this, it’s a sad indictment of how powerful they are in Scottish society and how weak the law profession is regarding bringing them to justice.

You may find that there are/were some powerful people involved.

It's almost certain there was a ring at that club.

Even before victims statements, when you look at anecdotal evidence (photos of very dubious people who on the face of it would have no other connection - Saville/the shamed Cardinal/Celtic Chairman etc - & tournaments run by coaches who are both convicted paedophiles) it all points to it.

For it to have stayed "under the radar" with no proper investigation despite all the whispers & rumours for all these years makes me think that there must be more very influential people involved.

There has to be journalists monitoring this, they can’t get away with this much longer
The cards are stacked against them now, obviously the reason they changed the name of their boys club
Someone has to expose them for what they are and I am not talking about the ones in court, the people at
the top of this club at the time of all this have to be brought to book, they knew what was going on
and are implicit in all of this by their silence
It is not good enough to claim they didn’t know when it was an open secret
No stone should be left unturned and Justice must be served
The victims have served a sentence, now for the perpetrators

I may have this wrong, was there a report a couple of months ago that stated Cairney's victims could be over 100?

I may have this wrong, was there a report a couple of months ago that stated Cairney's victims could be over 100?
Your right it is, but only 20 supposed to be appearing at court prob because all have the same tragic story

Justice is coming!

It's really not my friend.

The mountains and mountains of evidence has been destroyed over the past 30 years.

The victims are too scared of the abuse they will be subjected to if they speak up.

Families have been paid hush money.

The delays in bringing this paedophile ring to justice meant that witnesses and victims have been effectively gagged.

The overriding control that CFC have over the media and the judiciary has been set up over the past 4 decades to ensure the narrative is always controlled.

Rangers Supporters are not organised the way the celtc darkweb is. We don't hate enough to obsess and create award winning blogs that detail the crimes. We moan and suggest on FF. We echo each other but we are powerless.

The celtc propaganda machine is being controlled by the man that's running the SFA. Digest that for one moment .... the media are being influenced by Shifty McGifty who is employed by Dermot Desmond and is in charge of the SFA.

Justice is not coming. They've played the long game and will deflect every ounce of blame away from their beloved sewer of a club.

It's really not my friend.

The mountains and mountains of evidence has been destroyed over the past 30 years.

The victims are too scared of the abuse they will be subjected to if they speak up.

The delays in bringing this paedophile ring to justice meant that witnesses and victims have been effectively gagged.

The overriding control that CFC have over the media and the judiciary has been set up over the past 4 decades to ensure the narrative is always controlled.

Rangers Supporters are not organised the way the celtc darkweb is. We don't hate enough to obsess and create award winning blogs that detail the crimes. We moan and suggest on FF. We echo each other but we are powerless.

The celtc propaganda machine is being controlled by the man that's running the SFA. Digest that for one moment .... the media are being influenced by Shifty McGifty who is employed by Dermot Desmond and is in charge of the SFA.

Justice is not coming. They've played the long game and will deflect every ounce of blame away from their beloved sewer of a club.
This is clearly the case and is obvious to anybody with a modicum of common sense.My bigger concern is
while DK has alluded to this initially, he appears to have dropped the baton and is no longer highlighting this for all to see.We can moan about this on FF and the like till we're blue in the face and that will suit the tims just fine.The only way forward in my view is for some high profile person such as DK to keep it in the public eye.

Separate entity anyone?

There was also someone blurred out in the footage found by Mark daly -Fair play to him- I expect we will be hearing a lot more about him soon

Sons of Struth added 2 new photos.
2 hrs ·
Francis Cairney the ex Celtic Boys Club manager is the third member of this club, who Celtic claim they had no connection with, to face trial in last last few weeks.

Jim Torbett and Gerry King have both been found guilty of sexual abuse charges in the last few weeks. Cairneys trial has been going on for days but has received very little coverage which is strange considering the amount of interest you’d imagine such a story would create if it was covered.

We use the word “had” to describe the connection between both clubs because in recent months CBC have folded only to re-emerge under a different name. The new name is irrelevant at the moment due to the fact there will be many youngsters in this new sporting venture who do not deserve to be effected by these trials.

SoS understand that the SFA held back one recommendation from a list of 95 recommendations from their historic sexual abuse enquiry. This last recommendation will not be released until the outstanding trials are complete.

One point that was raised at the Torbett trial was the connection between CFC and CBC. The disgraced founder of CBC, who is currently serving his second jail sentence for child abuse, claimed that although CBC wore CFC strips, used their badge and trained and played at their training ground, they were not connected. He was asked how much rent CBC paid for using the Barrowfield Training Centre and he replied nothing was charged as Celtic allowed them to use it from the goodness of their heart. To believe these claims would mean taking the word of a proven liar and twice convicted pedophile.

https://www.facebook.com/1377493309148460/posts/2298751003689348/

I believe at least one abused boy has committed suicide.

I know a boy who played for Celtic boys club and he said that a football player who committed suicide - might have been about 10 years ago - straight away his gut feeling was that it was linked to him being abused at the boys club - such was relationship between boy and Torbett

Cant remember boys name and wouldnt post if i did remember such is the sensitivity of whats happened

Its absolutely sickening how many grown men have carried this with them for years ashamed to tell anyone keeping it locked away

I believe what we know is just the tip of the iceberg

Why can't they at least say sorry

"Sorry seems to be the hardest word", and I'm not being flippant. To say sorry carries an acceptance of guilt and responsibility, and they seem incapable of that. The best we'll get is their mealy-mouthed "regret" that bad things happened (or really, that bad things came to light), in much the same way that G Adams and his support express their wholly transparent "regret" over years of murder and maiming and misery. It means nothing.

Tip of the iceberg,met Kenny a few times and he is very open and honest about the abuse,he was scathing of the club he supports and I was delighted for him when JT was sentenced in court for him..he was there with his son and the pain in his face was horrible.

Another life ruined by that animal JT,other scum fans would give him abuse in bookies and in other public places because he was going up against the club,he told me as it would darken the clubs image!!

WTF is wrong with these people and what a disgrace!
They are scum and are as bad as Torbett (and any other paedophile).

A FORMER football coach who is alleged to have molested youngsters was highly respected due to his links with legendary Celtic manager Jock Stein, a court has heard.

Frank Cairney, 82, ran a boys football team in Viewpark, Lanarkshire, where he trained dozens of budding starlets.

Cairney, of Viewpark, was known to have links with Stein and adopted training methods dubbed ‘the Celtic way’.

But an ex-professional footballer has told a trial he was abused by Cairney when he was a teenager and played for his St Columba’s Boys Guild team in 1965.

Cairney is on trial at Hamilton Sheriff Court and denies 10 charges of historic sexual abuse spanning between 1965 and 1986 including allegations of indecent assault at Celtic’s former Barrowfield training ground.

A jury heard the footballer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, say youngsters were keen to join the team due to Cairney’s known links to Stein.

The 67-year-old, who played for a number of senior teams during his career, said rumours had surrounded Cairney and boys tried not to be alone with him.

He wept as he told jurors he stayed silent over the alleged abuse due to fears it would harm his career.

Under questioning from depute fiscal Paula Russell, the man said he was aged around 15 or 16 when he encountered Cairney.

He said: “Frank Cairney managed the team and he was excellent and had wonderful close links to Jock Stein and we used to train the Celtic way as they would say and that is why so many good players came from Viewpark.

“There was a kitchen in the church hall where he had a bed and would give us a professional rub but you didn’t like to go in yourself because there had been rumours.

“When it happened to me I knew what they were talking about, it happened to me a couple of times maybe four.

“There was also a time when I was running late and Frank offered to give me a lift and when he was driving put his hand onto me and started rubbing my thighs close to my groin and only stopped when we got to the end of the road.

“I didn’t say anything because I was embarrassed and scared to say anything.

“I wanted to play football and wanted to continue playing football so didn’t say anything, he had links and could say to another team not to sign me or something so I kept my mouth shut.

“The way it happened showed he didn’t give two monkeys and I think he thought, ‘he won’t say anything, he won’t do anything.’

“When it stopped he was totally nonchalant as if nothing had ever happened.

“After the incident in the car I stayed well clear of him.”

He added: “There would be no benefit whatsoever to lie, why would I stand here and tell lies when I have nothing to hide? What I was doing was hiding the truth from myself.”

Cairney faces charges he abused one 14-year-old boy on various occasions at the Barrowfield ground as well as other locations in Glasgow and Lanarkshire between September 1969 and December 1972.

And he also faces an alternative charge of committing an alleged act of gross indecency against the same boy between September 1969 and December 1971 at the same locations.

Prosecutors also allege he indecently assaulted another 14-year-old boy at the training ground between January 1985 and December 1986.

He is further accused of indecent assault against three other boys aged between 14 and 17 at various Lanarkshire locations including a church between May 1965 and May 1970.

Cairney faces separate charges of alleged lewd, indecent and libidinous behaviour against two 12-year-old boys between December 1965 and December 1969 in Lanarkshire.

The trial before Sheriff Daniel Kelly QC continues.

Frank Cairney - the man Tommy Burns rushed to defend hailing him as the Godfather of Celtic youth.

Here’s a Daily Record article on Frank Cairney from 90s. Perhaps the Daily Record would like to use it again ? it spells out in no uncertain terms Frank Cairney’s connection to Celtic FC.

Or will those press cowards continue to protect Celtic FC and ignore it ?

EXPOSED; Celtic starlets name second boys' club boss as sex abuser.

A second Celtic Boys' Club boss molested youngsters.

For 20 years Frank Cairney - known as the Godfather of Celtic youth - abused innocent young hopefuls who adored him.

The 56-year-old bachelor has always emphatically denied all sex claims.

But after the Daily Record's explosive revelations about Cairney's pal Jim Torbett, dozens of ex-Celtic boys have contacted us about their former general manager.

And they all tell a sordid tale of the man who was the mentor to many Celtic greats.

One, now 32, said: "He put his hand down my shorts and started to fondle me.

"I left his room crying."

Another ex-Celtic boy, 26-year-old Scott Sinclair, came forward after the Record's expose.

The former goalkeeper told how Cairney regularly fondled boys in the front of his white Ford Cortina.

Scott said: "Frank wouldn't let you travel with your bag. It always had to go in the boot."

Calls have jammed the Record switchboard to tell of abuse by Cairney from more than 20 years ago.

Cairney quit as general manager following an incident while he was on tour with Celtic Boys' Club in America.

New York police had been called in after an incident involving a young Celtic boy. But the case was closed because the boy did not make an official complaint to the Sexual Assault and Victims Unit.

At the same time, Cairney also resigned from the coaching staff at Parkhead.

He said at the time: "I'm no bogey man."

But the Record can reveal that the man who was the most respected figure in youth football, was a sick pervert who preyed on youngsters.

When Tommy Burns was appointed Parkhead boss in 1994, he tried to bring his mentor Frank Cairney back to Parkhead.

But the move to end his three year exile was blocked by Celtic chief Fergus McCann.

Last night at his home in Viewpark, Uddingston, Cairney said: "I have nothing whatsoever to say. Speak to my lawyers."

Tommy Burns was also at Cairney's house to give him his support.

He said: "He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.

"He has trained some of the great names of Celtic, including Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, George McCluskey, Alan Brazil, Pat Nevin, Peter Grant, Andy Ritchie and myself.

"Ever since I knew him he's been a great friend and a great influence on me and a lot of other players who had the pleasure of playing on his team."

I believe at least one abused boy has committed suicide.
I know of one who commited suicide about 10 year ago who was at the boys club released at turn of century then quiting the game a couple of year later

Last edited:
Really sad. How awful for the guy. When you see it as clear as this, it really hits home how depraved that paedophile ring was.

Slowly but surely it's all unravelling for Celtic. The dirty deeds of their hideous past are finally catching up with them.

Strathclyde's finest should be knocking on the doors of Messrs Kelly and McGinn any day now.

Their day of reckoning will soon be upon them.

SoS understand that the SFA held back one recommendation from a list of 95 recommendations from their historic sexual abuse enquiry. This last recommendation will not be released until the outstanding trials are complete.

I'd love to know what that recommendation is.

Those other parties have the opportunity to ask questions in the Diddy parliament or the real one but they too are ignoring it. Why is that?
It is shameful.
Seen a few responses,by mps, to sister of one of the victims. Pretty much say they can't raise it because not one of their constituents.. feckin shambles of a parliament

Point 1. The victims are already speaking up. They've found the courage to take Celtic to task.

Point 2. We can't prove families received hush money. If you have any then please share.

Point 3. Justice is coming! Even the great Celtic PR Machine can't do anything about the tsunami of shit heading their way. The long arm of the law has finally caught up with them.

Point 1. The victims are already speaking up. They've found the courage to take Celtic to task.

Point 2. We can't prove families received hush money. If you have any then please share.

Point 3. Justice is coming! Even the great Celtic PR Machine can't do anything about the tsunami of shit heading their way. The long arm of the law has finally caught up with them.
They're f**ked this time.

The minute one poor victim successfully sues them for ruining his life and gains a substantial amount, the flood gates will open. Solicitors will be over this like a rash and are probably seeing their fees ringing in the till right now.
I hope this cripples them financial, because I have no faith in the football authorities in Scotland to act against them. I wonder if they will have the gall to consider so called financial irregularities to be worse than this.

Justice is coming! Even the great Celtic PR Machine can't do anything about the tsunami of shit heading their way. The long arm of the law has finally caught up with them.

History has shown us time and time again that every time a new case surfaces or a new victim braves the press -the connections and the interlinking between each predator and the club are completely ignored.

Where are the journalists that are brave enough to join up all the stories and implicate those in charge at Celtc who covered up this tragic mess?

Nowhere.

Every court case that our tax issues were investigated had dozens of celtc bloggers in attendance at court listening to the judgements and recording the evidence and subsequently producing reems and reems of Timmy porn.

Where are the equivalent scrutineers in all of these disparate cases? Nowhere. Behind closed doors. Closed court. A plethora of interim injunctions effectively silencing any speculation and neutering the media.

Despite the separate reports on all the different cases in the news over the past several months - there remains no desire to produce any quality articles that focus a SPOTLIGHT on the horrendous scale of this scandal.

I'm surely not the only one that believes the narrative is being completely controlled (by that sordid entity from the east of the city) with the sole aim of avoiding what's always been required to expose the full scale of all these crimes - a full and independent investigation.

Until that happens (and it won't) justice will never come.

Frank Cairney - the man Tommy Burns rushed to defend hailing him as the Godfather of Celtic youth.
I've often wondered about Burns sticking up for Cairney...weird, disgusting even, a bizarre friendship, it made me think of William Gilbert and his 'admiration' for another paedophile, Jim Torbett.

William Gilbert is the guy who was with Torbett when Mark Daly tracked Torbett down to the US last year. You may remember a programme about it which was aired on BBC Scotland presented by Daly. It was later revealed Gilbert drove his car over the reporters foot.

Gilbert played for Celtic Boys Club and Torbett was a close family friend of his parents, mum Susan and police sergeant dad William. The boy spent many evenings with Torbett often staying overnight at his house.
William Snr strongly objected to this but couldn't seem to do anything about it.
Torbett would take the boy on holidays to Florida and weekends in London, the grief stricken dad could take no more and eventually took his own life over the relationship, his son was 19 by this time.

Burns friendship with the beastly Cairney doesn't sit right with me.

Jock Stein is every bit as vile as the subhuman scum that destroyed so many youngs boys' lives.
Sickens me to the pit of my stomach that people such as Alan Brazil always try to defend him......

“No chance. Big Jock wouldn’t stand for any nonsense would he?

“But I tell you who did know — The Kelly family who ran Celtic at the time.

“They stood by him. One of the Kellys was even with Torbett in court. That p****d me off big style.”

Any other club would have died of shame and shut up shop.

The problem is Mark, this is not worldwide news that would force such a reaction. It's not even nationwide news, %^*& me it barely qualifies as regional news. It's been hushed up beyond belief, remember the match fixing scandal in Serie A when Juventus got demoted? %^*& me, if the reaction to that is anything to go by then Pacific Shelf/St Pats seniors or whatever their alias is should be shutdown and the company fined into the tens of millions at the least.

Sickens me to the pit of my stomach that people such as Alan Brazil always try to defend him......
To be fair I think that Brazils head is so fucked from the horrific abuse that he suffered, coupled with his alcoholism that he's not capable of making rational and sound judgement anymore. In all honesty I feel heart sorry for him as he comes across for the most part as an intelligent and very decent guy.

Back