AC/DC Scottish tribute shirts

I was there, one the best nights in the old midden. Can still picture it, a sea of denim and dandruff, perfumed by sweat and damp carpets.

Was there that night too,The whole place erupted when they walked on with the Scotland strips on.

Just found my ticket stub JJ in the stalls and £2 in !!!!

Last edited:
There is 'BonFest' in Kirriemuir every year, a weekend of ACDC tribute type mini gigs. A big piss up I believe and why not.

There is 'BonFest' in Kirriemuir every year, a weekend of ACDC tribute type mini gigs. A big piss up I believe and why not.
Have been a few times, a brilliant weekend and fantastically well run by the locals and DD8 Music. Normally around 6000 fans from all over the world descend on the wee town over the weekend

Have been a few times, a brilliant weekend and fantastically well run by the locals and DD8 Music. Normally around 6000 fans from all over the world descend on the wee town over the weekend

Superb event.

The town during the day has a great atmosphere. Would highly recommend to anyone with the slightest passing interest in AC/DC. (Although fair to say there is a lot more to see than just that)

I’m pretty sure this is the gig where they were going to come out in rangers tops and ended up in Scotland tops. This sounds like one of those urban legends except for one thing. At some point in the gig they make reference to “the champions” well done, or congratulations.

The gig was on April 30th and Rangers won the title in the last day of the season the day before, on the 29th. They had wanted to celebrate this by wearing rangers jerseys but I’m sure thought better of it.

He was from Kirriemuir. Some of his relatives still live there
Correct
There is a “Bonfest” weekend every year in May around the time of the great man’s birthday. There is a statue, too.

One of the greatest front men ever. I wish I had seen AC/DC in 1980 but there was so many gigs at The Apollo and a 15 year old couldn’t go to all of them

That photo was fake it was photoshopped , there is a picture of angus young at Ibrox with super ally holding up a rangers shirt with angus on the back
It was Malcolm - with a shirt with Angus on the back.

I wouldn't tell Jimmy Bell he got it wrong though.

Any reason why Umbro are bringing out this shirt? As Scotland's kit-supplier is adidas now.

Would imagine there would be legal issues?

Think Bon and the two Young brothers were/are Bluenoses.
Not sure about Bon Scott but the 2 Angus brothers absolutely were/are.

ROCK legend Malcolm Young was the special guest of Rangers today for the SPL title party.
The AC/DC rhythm guitarist made the trip with son Ross to be at Ibrox for the trophy presentation after the final match of the season with Motherwell.
And he met up with delighted assistant boss Ally McCoist, who is a huge AC/DC fan and went to see the band live at Hampden last summer.

Malcolm and brother Angus are massive Rangers fans and have been following the team since their early days in the Cranhill area of Glasgow before the family emigrated to Australia. And he happily accepted printed Rangers shirts for Angus and himself. It was Malcolm's first visit to Ibrox since the late 1970s when he and Angus watched an Old Firm clash and he was delighted to be back.

He told rangers.co.uk: "It's fantastic to be back at Ibrox. Coming down the tunnel and going onto the pitch was amazing.
"It's a long time since I was last here. I remember Angus and me came to watch a Celtic game and, of course, we won 2-1.
"We've always been Rangers fans and it's great to bring my son Ross along to watch the match.
"Everyone in our family have been Rangers fans since I can remember so this is a special day for me."
McCoist was like a star-struck kid when the met the rock star and told Malcolm how he first saw AC/DC at the old Glasgow Apollo back in 1977.
He said: "You have no idea what this means to me! It's sensational to meet Malcolm and it's brilliant that he is here on the day we get the title."

AC/DC are one of the biggest rock acts in the world. They were the biggest selling band on the globe with 2008 on the back of the Black Ice album.
A compilation of AC/DC classics also makes up the soundtrack of the new smash hit movie Iron Man 2.

I've heard a number of these stories over the years and I wouldn't buy them (not being a relation, but playing at a wedding). They have a lot of family still in the Glasgow area. Some cousins in Cumbernauld and they use to have a couple of uncles out in Drumchapel.

@Dalgety Bear might be interested to know they had relatives living there in the 70s and 80s.
That is correct. Through my older brother I’ve been a big AC/DC fan since before my teenage years. My aunt Babs (nee Young which I only found out after the event!) found out about this through my wearing an AC/DC Back in Black tour t-shirt (which I bought at a concert around November 1980) to a family New year do when I was 14 years old. So I think she’s oldish through the eyes of a kid and she says to me do you know I was at that AC/DC concert at the Apollo as well? Shocked by that I then find out my Aunt Babs was Babs Young in her pre-married days and the cousin of Angus and Malcolm! You can imagine how exciting that was for me at that age and I was duly given backstage passes for the next AC/DC gig in Glasgow on the For Those About to Rock Tour around October 1982 where I met my hero’s and Brian Johnson could not have been nicer to me. He played me a game of space invaders in the old carpeted waiting hall at the Apollo after the concert and tried to persuade my old dear to let me go to Edinburgh for the Sunday night concert. Anyway my aunt and her family live in Drumchapel right enough and all of my family are Rangers through and through, so I have been told many times from family members that Angus and Malcolm (God rest him) were 100% Bears. Not the slightest doubt about that. And no I didn’t get out late to Edinburgh on a school night - still a massive regret.

Last edited:
Why couldn't the gig have been 2 years earlier? Then it would fit in nicely to my collection. Still ace though.

Always wondered if Bon was a Rangers fan. He was in a band called Mount Lofty Rangers which is a play on the Mount Lofty Ranges in Adelaide. McCoist gave an interview where he suggested Bon was a bear as well but can’t find it now.

Rangers should adopt one of AC/DCs tracks - Thunderstuck probably.

Last edited:
That is correct. Through my older brother I’ve been a big AC/DC fan since before my teenage years. My aunt Babs (nee Young which I only found out after the event!) found out about this through my wearing an AC/DC Back in Black tour t-shirt (which I bought at a concert around November 1980) to a family New year do when I was 14 years old. So I think she’s oldish through the eyes of a kid and she says to me do you know I was at that AC/DC concert at the Apollo as well? Shocked by that I then find out my Aunt Babs was Babs Young in her pre-married days and the cousin of Angus and Malcolm! You can imagine how exciting that was for me at that age and I was duly given backstage passes for the next AC/DC gig in Glasgow on the For Those About to Rock Tour around October 1982 where I met my hero’s and Brian Johnson could not have been nicer to me. He played me a game of space invaders in the old carpeted waiting hall at the Apollo after the concert and tried to persuade my old dear to let me go to Edinburgh for the Sunday night concert. Anyway my aunt and her family live in Drumchapel right enough and all of my family are Rangers through and through, so I have been told many times from family members that Angus and Malcolm (God rest him) were 100% Bears. Not the slightest doubt about that. And no I didn’t get out late to Edinburgh on a school night - still a massive regret.

I think we must be related:D. I think your Aunt Babs might be a cousin of my father.

Was your Aunt Babs married around 1973/74 or thereabouts? If so, I suspect I was there and have a photo of it somewhere.

I've had a few similar encounters with Brian. He spent a couple of hours after a gig in Edinburgh trying to get me pished on a school night:eek:. I was saved by Ellen Young making him behave......

I was in Glasgoe years ago on a Saturday night and saw ACDC were playing the Apollo. Back then you could often pay at the door on the night, which we did that time and went in. Lights went down and on they came. Let there be rock was the opener and it just blew my mind. Bon stripped to the waist and Angus bombing abour mental. What an opener,! Next time I saw them at the Apollo we were in the circle. In the encore Angus appeard right beside us on Bons shoulders playing his guitar. Place went mental as we tried to grab them. I got about 2 feet from them. Great memory.

The Apollo was great. Remember may Status Quo gigs there with the circle lierally doing the bouncy. I mean the building not just the crowd. It looked very scary seeing the structure going up and down.

I think we must be related:D. I think your Aunt Babs might be a cousin of my father.

Was your Aunt Babs married around 1973/74 or thereabouts? If so, I suspect I was there and have a photo of it somewhere.

I've had a few similar encounters with Brian. He spent a couple of hours after a gig in Edinburgh trying to get me pished on a school night:eek:. I was saved by Ellen Young making him behave......
We could be! Babs is married to Eric. Does that confirm?

Back