AC Milan Seeming Ask to be Kicked Out of EL

Superrangers

It’s being reported in Italy that Ivan Gazidis, Milan’s CEO has asked for them to be kicked out of the EL for breaching FFP rules. They are under investigation for breaching FFP rules as it stands and apparently they see this as a way to give them more time to balance the books?

Seems odd?!

Torino would take their place if it happened.

Maybe requesting to be kicked out before it starts is cheaper than the punishment for being thrown out?

They’re owned by an American hedge fund called Elliot now who seem quite sensible, but I reckon any FFP sanctions will be from when they were owned by that extremely dodgy Li Yonghong from a couple of years back.

Maybe requesting to be kicked out before it starts is cheaper than the punishment for being thrown out?

They’re owned by an American hedge fund called Elliot now who seem quite sensible, but I reckon any FFP sanctions will be from when they were owned by that extremely dodgy Li Yonghong from a couple of years back.
Perhaps but it sets a very dangerous precedent. The authorities need to enforce the rules and hand out stiff penalties, not have clubs try to drive the process.

Perhaps but it sets a very dangerous precedent. The authorities need to enforce the rules and hand out stiff penalties, not have clubs try to drive the process.

UEFA can’t allow it but maybe there’s a reduced punishment for being up front and honest about it?

Who knows, as you say it’s a dangerous precedent that’s potentially being set.

If it happens, it means Torino would get in, AS Roma would presumably move up out of our group and into the next qualifying round.

Gives them a free run at concentrating on the league and finishing top 4. Probably see the EL as a hindrance plus most of their fans won’t be interested in it going by last seasons attendances.

Not a fan of this as it damages the Europa League brand even more if a big club like Milan is happy not to play in it.

Gives them a free run at concentrating on the league and finishing top 4. Probably see the EL as a hindrance plus most of their fans won’t be interested in it going by last seasons attendances.

Not a fan of this as it damages the Europa League brand even more if a big club like Milan is happy not to play in it.
Precisely. It is not up to them.

They should be absolutely hammered for this if that's what they're asking for. 3 or 4 year European ban from all competitions, absolutely wretched behaviour. See how far their spending spree gets them with no access to the Champions league.

Is this the start of the big clubs turning their back on the Europa league?
I think sides have already been doing this. English sides have rested players regularly and I’m sure they aren’t the only ones, although I suppose abandoning the tournament altogether is a different level.

Back