Academy Talent

Matty1904

We all know and realise that the transfer market in summer is quality over quantity.

How many of the following do you think will be off the squad players pushing through instead of buying the so called best of the rest.

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

Plus we have submitted bids for the 16 year old lads at Ross County and Blackpool.

I reckon at least 3 of those names will be regulars in 5 years time because imo the club needs to be ran that way with youth being given a chance, I would love all of them to be first team regulars but the harsh reality is most will not be able to cut it, I hope I’m wrong regarding quantity of making it but as our past record of bringing youth through is not great, 3 off that list would make me happy.

I reckon at least 3 of those names will be regulars in 5 years time because imo the club needs to be ran that way with youth being given a chance, I would love all of them to be first team regulars but the harsh reality is most will not be able to cut it, I hope I’m wrong regarding quantity of making it but as our past record of bringing youth through is not great, 3 off that list would make me happy.

Yes that's the reason why the club have changed significantly since Craig Mulholland took over. We have invested heavily into the academy and I truly believe it will start to show. Only problem is it takes time to nurture them and alot of fans just want to chuck them into straight away. That's partly why we have failed. Over past 2 years I've taken a keen interest into the structure and it is strong as it's ever been it's just pushing the crop that's coming through onto next level so we can have a supply chain as such. I'd like to think at least Patterson, kelly would be regulars in squad next season then take rest as they develop

Yes that's the reason why the club have changed significantly since Craig Mulholland took over. We have invested heavily into the academy and I truly believe it will start to show. Only problem is it takes time to nurture them and alot of fans just want to chuck them into straight away. That's partly why we have failed. Over past 2 years I've taken a keen interest into the structure and it is strong as it's ever been it's just pushing the crop that's coming through onto next level so we can have a supply chain as such. I'd like to think at least Patterson, kelly would be regulars in squad next season then take rest as they develop
The 2 you mention, Patterson and Kelly plus maybe McCrorie could be back up players this year but they will always prefer game time so loans are good for these guys, Kelly has obviously done really well at Ayr and McCrorie at livi so a possible 6 month loan to a say livi or st Mirren like team to get them at playing with our league level would do them no harm at all, that could be the making of them as first team players as of next year all going well, the other younger players you have mentioned although I haven’t seen personally have had rave reviews by others on here more itk when it comes to our youth so would love to see some if not all of them following those first 3 mentioned into being first team regulars as that would encourage more of the better youth players, not only in Scotland, to want to come to us because there would be evidence of a pathway to first team football at Rangers, it does sound promising from my perspective as one who has been critical of our youth not being given the opportunity to see what it can do.

All of the above players are talented and ‘good enough.’ The difference is some will want to learn and improve - and have the mental fortitude to be stronger mentally, make sacrifices etc. The academy need to focus on making our youngsters psychologically strong - this is the absolute key.

I expect Patterson and Kelly to be part of the first team squad this season and to start several games this season. A few of the others I think will be loaned out.

I'm not sure any will be pushed through, Patterson at a push.

Given the climate, I expect a significant amount of clubs, both scottish and English, will be forced to use the loan market heavily, giving us a unique position to loan out a number of players to play regularly at a reasonable level and we should take advantage of that. If SG was unwilling to risk youngsters last year, I can this season being even more so, unless of course his budget is reduced and he's almost forced to

We all know and realise that the transfer market in summer is quality over quantity.

How many of the following do you think will be off the squad players pushing through instead of buying the so called best of the rest.

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

Plus we have submitted bids for the 16 year old lads at Ross County and Blackpool.

Patterson and Kennedy will be 1st team squad players this season.

Robbie McCrorie had a patchy loan at Livingston, but is highly rated and will probably get another 6 month loan at a decent level.

Kelly and Mebube will get the pre season to impress Gerrard to either be 1st team squad, or a good level loan.

The rest still have a lot of work and development ahead and probably too early to judge.

All just my opinion.

It is our talent in the academy which is why we are desperate for Colts to be added to the spfl. To allow this talent to stay within auchenhowies high performance environment but gain competitive experience in meaningful adult competition.

They were flourishing at that level in the challenge cup last year and showed they already have the talent to mix it with top end championship clubs. If we set up this crucial part of the academy pathway it will allow out best youth to make the step to our first team, and attract interest from scouts and national team selectors driving up their values in the transfer market.

In turn this would have positive impacts for us financially, on the national team, and on TV revenue for the league in which our colts play, in turn improving other Scottish teams chances of attracting better players both financially but also by being a better platform to be scouted in (old firm colt teams are sure to attract international scouts on a regular basis, and playing against them means opposition players will think they will be 'discoverred').

The fact colts wernt introduced 20 years ago has held our national game back. The fact they still havn't been introduced shows how ineffective our league set up is at making positive decisions for the success of our national game.

Guaranteed though. If colts were in the league, I'd happily be watching 2 gers games a week. Celtic fans would be watching 4 as they never seem to miss a minute of our games. Double the TV viewing figures and we could dou le the money from sky...

Or you know... Just give it away for free so that the company who ploughs billions into the EPL don't get cross with us and can continue to buy the rights to our game only to barely show any coverage so that it won't get shown elsewhere and compete with their EPL coverage.

Kelly is the one most likely to make the step up he’s a great young player, very technical player with great composure.

Kennedy and Mebude both need loan moves as both aren’t ready for first team.

Patterson is doing ok, maybe not quite ready but has potential to develop.
Of the younger players, Charlie Lindsay is special and probably has the most potential. I think he’s one to watch out for but is still very young.

We will do well to get one youth team player in the first team every two years. The gap from kids football even to SPFL is absolutely massive. People vastly overrate kids in our youth system based on results against teenagers not good enough to play for Hamilton, Aberdeen, Killie etc. It's so difficult to produce kids good enough to displace a senior pro, often an international player.

Given our recent history in bringing through players I’d be lying if I said I get excited about youth players breaking into the first team and making any real contribution

Would be amazing if all those boys turned out to be a golden generation of winners it can happen.

Would be great if we could recreate an Ajax style of a team full of young stars from the academy that sort of thing would transform our club over night as all would probably move on for huge fees.

But the only way to do it is throw them in together and let them go. Playing in front of 50k at. Ibrox would give anyone the mindset too succeed but a group of them I think works better than giving 1 or 2 5 mijns at the end of game that's finished I see no point in that. They must be tested from the start of a game which no manager will ever do at Ibrox if we gave 5/6 of them starting slots. Big balls needed imo

What about James Maxwell? Seem to remember alot of excitement about him at the start of the season, was developing very well after being moved to left back from left midfield.

What about James Maxwell? Seem to remember alot of excitement about him at the start of the season, was developing very well after being moved to left back from left midfield.
He’s done really welly since moving to left back, he offers a lot going forward from that position. He probably just needs to add to his game defensively and maybe bulk up as he’s quite slight in frame still. Another with good potential.

Personally I'd have Patterson and Kennedy over Polster and Barker in the squad. Also wouldn't be surprised if Kelly made the step up this season.

Robby McCrorie, McPake, Mayo and Mebude, I would send on loan for the season.

Patterson and Kennedy will be 1st team squad players this season.

Robbie McCrorie had a patchy loan at Livingston, but is highly rated and will probably get another 6 month loan at a decent level.

Kelly and Mebube will get the pre season to impress Gerrard to either be 1st team squad, or a good level loan.

The rest still have a lot of work and development ahead and probably too early to judge.

All just my opinion.

I would like to see Patterson go out on loan and play first team games instead of sitting in the stand or playing games for the development squad. He is a massive talent but from the games against Atletico an Inverness he struggled defensively but going forward he was dangerous just the final ball letting him down. Think loan spell would help with his development as a player and bring him on more.

Kelly is at make or break stage now pretty sure he's going into the final year of his contract I think Gerrard does rate him highly but Stephen did say himself when he was out on loan that he wants to keep playing games so be interesting with him.

who is the poster who attends a lot of the academy games?

wouldbe good to get his insight into how individuals in this crop compare with those who have come through and made the grade (not necessarily at rangers) like how does kelly compare with ferguson, fleck. mccrorie with shagger etc

too often these kids fade away and the next batch come through and are hyped up. however there seems to be something different with this group there's a bit more substance to the hype.

i for one have high hopes for at least 6 of that group, leon king in particular.

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

there’s a poster Elfideldi on here who knows everything about youth set up and is very impressive
Maybe he will furnish us with his opinion on the players you have plucked out

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

Imo,

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

The academy has lots of good players but only a few who will make first team imo Kai Kennedy is star of show but Paterson Mcpake Dickson and boy Lindsay are the best of bunch ,the issue is the transition from academy player to first team and we don't seem to get it right only need look at past few years virtually nothing, the pressure on any manager is ridiculous and not the time to play youngsters we all understand it but someone has to change the rot or what's the point,we would love to see these boys come through but will we really give them time or the manager ,so as hard as it is myself personally can understand why the boys opt to leave the club to try further there careers I now hear that Kennedy is close to leaving the club and Kelly will go as well because they want first team football and I don't doubt more will follow.

Most if not all are good players but it takes more than just a good player to play at Ibrox in front of 50k fans.

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

You know what I like about these young players? (and I’m not talking about their undoubted ability.). It’s the fact that they are all battlers and never give up and seem to take defeat personally. I think we are bringing through an exceptional crop of young players. The only time I have seen them overcome is when they were outmatched physically. This won’t be an issue as they develop. I’m very hopeful of more than usual of our young players making an impact. There’s always a bit of justified cynicism about young players making it to first team level but whatever changes were made in the academy several years back seems to be working. Forgive my optimism but I believe their break through will only depend on their stage of physical development because the ability and attitude is there. I expect we’ll see many go out on loan.

Imo,
The academy has lots of good players but only a few who will make first team imo Kai Kennedy is star of show but Paterson Mcpake Dickson and boy Lindsay are the best of bunch ,the issue is the transition from academy player to first team and we don't seem to get it right only need look at past few years virtually nothing, the pressure on any manager is ridiculous and not the time to play youngsters we all understand it but someone has to change the rot or what's the point,we would love to see these boys come through but will we really give them time or the manager ,so as hard as it is myself personally can understand why the boys opt to leave the club to try further there careers I now hear that Kennedy is close to leaving the club and Kelly will go as well because they want first team football and I don't doubt more will follow.

Read a lot about boy king being destined for big things what’s your thoughts

Really hope we see some of these youngsters in and around the first team squad on match days soon. I have high hopes for King and Lindsay. Think Kelly deserves a chance and McCrorie will be our number one when Shagger hangs up the gloves imo. I liked Patterson when he played last season too.

Malcolm Ebiowei
Charlie Lindsay
Young-Coombes
Nathan Patterson
Kai Kennedy
Stephen Kelly
Mebude
Umaro Balde
Robbie McCrorie
Leon King
McCausland

Encouraging to see so much potential there, we are all aware of many of trhem and it shows the academy is progressing under Mulholland.

Hopefully a few can make the bigger step up.

Read a lot about boy king being destined for big things what’s your thoughts
Glad we got King tied down as club thought that was another case of Billy Gilmore scenario going down south before being signed on a pro contract. Lots of potential there

Most if not all are good players but it takes more than just a good player to play at Ibrox in front of 50k fans.
To be fair that's what Mulholland is constantly talking about on places like RTV. Getting the boys ready for that step up. Like testing them in UEFA youth league, Colts team in the cup that reached semi. Loan moves to league 1 and championship sides or in mccrorie case livi. Hes still pushing for Colts to be added to league. Our Academy has turned ten fold since it was given an overhaul.

Back