Accepted truths of football that are wrong

Latest one is that Italian football is (still) slow, defensive and tactical.

The truth is that last season, the Premiership was the league with most 0-0 or 1-1 draws.

Maradona’s England goal is the greatest World Cup goal of all time. Sorry but it just isn’t, you’ve got England players on yellow cards scared to touch him after the initial spin to peel away on the half way line (which was impressive), but after that the first serious attempt at a challenge comes from Shilton.

Maradona’s England goal is the greatest World Cup goal of all time. Sorry but it just isn’t, you’ve got England players on yellow cards scared to touch him after the initial spin to peel away on the half way line (which was impressive), but after that the first serious attempt at a challenge comes from Shilton.
That’s was my feeling about Owen’s goal against Argentina

Terry Fenwick was the only England player booked they game.

My top 3 accepted truths in football that I'm calling bullshit on.

(1) Gordon Banks' save from Pele was the best ever
Nah, there's probably a save every month as good as that nowadays. David de Gea alone probably makes 5 saves a season as good as that.

(2) Spitting on an opponent is the worst thing you can do
It's not nice, and anyone that does it deserves a punch in the face in return, but what Roy Keane did to Alf Inge Haaland - intentionally injuring him to end his career - is much worse.

(3) You're more likely to concede a goal after just scoring
I don't know if this is true but I think it's just the 1 time in 10 it happens people notice. I'd be very surprised if it's statistically true that in the 5 minutes after a goal you're more likely to concede.

What accepted truths of football do you think are wrong?
Fact 1. Association Football is a non contact sport.
Fact 2 Association Football Referees totally disregard fact 1 when taking charge of a game at Ibrox or any other stadium that involves a team from Ibrox.

It's totally fine to kick players, dive, cheat - loads of football is just educated cheating.

It's not a football teams job to entertain - more so neutrals at home watching a game on TV with no investment in the match - folks who watch Newcastle v Southampton and expect to be entertained have no concept of how sport works.

Refs should manage games in context within reason - a foul in a Rangers v Celtic game should be judged a bit different in a Rangers v Hamilton game
I don't think being judged differently is helping us at the moment.

Inspired by the other thread: ‘The RFFF was set up to fight our enemies when they denigrate our Club.’

Err, no it wasn’t. See post #1 para 6.

6. The money is to be used for the day to day running of the Club and any associated running costs. It is not to be used to pay creditors. This will be part of the Administration process.

http://forum.rangers-mad.co.uk/showthread.php?849122-Rangers-Fans-Fighting-Fund-Launched

EDIT. The other thread has now disappeared due to the usual repetitive ‘nonsense’.

I
“Penalty shootouts are a lottery”

No they aren’t. The more you practice penalties, the better you get. The more the entire team practice penalties, the better the team will be at shootouts.
You can practice putting the ball in the corner with pace all day and not miss one, you can't account for a goalkeeper moving going the right way and saving it, no shot is unstoppable so this makes it a bit of a lottery.

Bad decisions even themselves out over the season.
Celtic are victims of bad refereeing more than any other team
The whole of the SFA secretly backs Rangers

In the same vein as this, the Brazil Carlos Alberto goal is seriously overrated. No team in todays game would be allowed so much time on the ball, it's nearly at walking pace! It's a good pass and finish, iconic goal obviously, but the defending during the build up is terrible.

That sectarianism is a huge issue in Scotland that everyone is offended by. Refuse to believe anyone actually cares, it’s all just “look what the other fans are doing” faux outrage.

Totally agree.

A shite state of affairs begun by tims squealing

Having lived for 8 years in Manchester, all over the city, I concur. It is nonsense.

As for generally accepted truths that are wrong, playing a second leg at home in a two-legged tie is best. Rangers played Bremen away, Sporting away and Fiorentina away second en-route to Manchester and Liverpool played Porto, city and Roma away last year yet also reached the CL final.
Souness always said he preferred home leg first. It makes sense because in the event of a draw then you have an extra 30 minutes to get an away goal. Think 1971 v Sporting Lisbon!

I don’t have objection to people singing “streets” rather than “straits”. I doubt many of the folk singing know what a strait is and streets makes plenty of sense to younger folk singing about following their team all over the country.

Bring on the Hibs, the Hearts, the Celtic
Bring on Spaniards by the score
Barcelona, Real Madrid
They will make a gallant bid
For we're out to show the world what we can do

Bollocks to the last line
Should be
But they'll only find the reason why we roar

IMHO:))

On a more serious note, "That was a percentage ball into the box"
What the f--- is a percentage ball?

It is pretty easy for players to build a decent reputation on the back of a few goals - this happens oft with Match of the Day - Seb Larrson who played for Sunderland was a particular example of this.

He could hit a few screamers a year and on the back of it he would have a reputation as a good player despite being a haphazard lazy bastard.

In the same vein as this, the Brazil Carlos Alberto goal is seriously overrated. No team in todays game would be allowed so much time on the ball, it's nearly at walking pace! It's a good pass and finish, iconic goal obviously, but the defending during the build up is terrible.

I watched footage of Brazil vs Sweden final from 1958 and the standard is embarrassingly bad.

Very few teams mix up style and tactics.

Waburton was mocked and ridiculed for Plan B being doing Plan A better - that applies to about 99% of football teams.

if you have a Plan B all you are doing is spending less time working on Plan A in training - the majority of training is repetition, drilling in structures and building muscle memory to take to games - a team who can transition from 4-4-2 to 3-5-2 is mostly likely equally bad at both rather than good at both.

90% of the patterns of play can work in any formation, its just about getting the players used to playing with each other. Shape is the first think new players pick up so when we have a load of players who are just getting used to each other then change the shape on top ala Motherwell it can be a disaster. Same with how we introduced 2 new players in v Killie. Had we only introduced Defoe and used the midfielders we had I think it would have worked better.

Back