Acid test on 23/9 versus Them

westenclosurebear

Between then and now let's hope for 3 points and another good away performance versus Partick and a cup win against the same team 4 days later. And a full squad to choose from for the game versus them on 23rd September.

Likely we'll be going into that game 3 points behind and looking for a win to take us level on points.

The 5-1 defeat to them at the end of last season left a lot of Rangers fans frustrated and angry.

The anger for me was the feeling that after getting back into the top league we were a good bit behind them in terms of quality. We've partially addressed that in the summer transfer window. Around 20 players moving in or out and we're starting to see a better quality and a bit more steel around our team.

But it's still early in the season and the rebuilding under Pedro will take time so i'd voice some caution should we get beat on the 23rd and continue to back the Manager.

The frustration came from the way their players celebrated and taunted the Rangers support. I hope lessons have been learnt and they are not allowed the luxury of lording it up ever again on the pitch after a game. The sight of Griffiths tying a scarf to the goal nets should simply never have been allowed once. Lets hope the security is in place to manage the day and they are afforded what we face at their dump of a stadium post match should they win on the day.

Between then and now let's hope for 3 points and another good away performance versus Partick and a cup win against the same team 4 days later. And a full squad to choose from for the game versus them on 23rd September.

Likely we'll be going into that game 3 points behind and looking for a win to take us level on points.

The 5-1 defeat to them at the end of last season left a lot of Rangers fans frustrated and angry.

The anger for me was the feeling that after getting back into the top league we were a good bit behind them in terms of quality. We've partially addressed that in the summer transfer window. Around 20 players moving in or out and we're starting to see a better quality and a bit more steel around our team.

But it's still early in the season and the rebuilding under Pedro will take time so i'd voice some caution should we get beat on the 23rd and continue to back the Manager.

The frustration came from the way their players celebrated and taunted the Rangers support. I hope lessons have been learnt and they are not allowed the luxury of lording it up ever again on the pitch after a game. The sight of Griffiths tying a scarf to the goal nets should simply never have been allowed once. Lets hope the security is in place to manage the day and they are afforded what we face at their dump of a stadium post match should they win on the day.

We have a better defence than last season!
We have a better midfield than last season!
We now have a goal threat that we lacked and although accepting caution, I really believe we will beat beast fc by a couple of goals.

I just hope the gaffer doesn't try to change the team too much against them.

Would be awful if he brought Wilson in and went to a back 3.

I have a really good feeling we'll beat the scum we have an all round better team than last season and we are only going to get better

Wilson should never be seen in blue again for failing to even try a tackle at their fifth goal that day. We are a bit more solid and have more fight so we should be closer to them than that day. We need to be compete and not be bullied, do that and we have a sporting chance.

I believe they have apprehension. A bad Euro result could affect the vermin too. Rangers can do this and send a huge message. We can overcome anything, including bias if we are one.

Miller and Krancjar should be nowhere near the starting eleven on the 23rd if we're to have any chance of getting a decent result.

I watched the match yesterday and I like him as a player. However, every Dundee move came down Tavs side. Far to often he was caught up the pitch and no one was covering.
If we play the same against that lot they will pump us.

I don't think there's any doubt that the spine of the team is now much stronger than last season and we create more chances and score more goals than then.
But let's not get too carried away we have closed the gap on them already. I hate saying it, but they were a country mile better than anyone else and they don't look like dropping many points again this season against the other 10 teams.
We need to get 2 wins over Thistle so we can go into the 23rd with momentum and confidence, but those won't guarantee us a victory. I do think we have a chance this time, but no point in kidding ourselves that the vermin aren't very strong favourites.

People need to realise they aren't that good, a team thats been inflated by garbage opposition in our league, anytime they play someone decent they struggle. Remember were an unknown entity to them now as well, if they think they'll turn up and steamroll us they'll be in for an absolute shock.

Personally I think Pedro will turn it into a physical match and counter them all game, I feel very positive going into the match, although I've felt like that before and we've lost, I absolutely do not expect us to get horsed.

The last game v them......let's get perspective

Goal 1. Young Beerman makes a howling tackle when there was minimal threat. Sinclair cheats with penalty run up.

Goal 2. Thumbheid catches Fod off guard. Fod should do better

Goal 3. Mcgregor given two cracks at the whip in a slack tim passage of play. We stood off him.

Goal 4. Fod needs to come for it. Free header in 6 yard box

Goal 5. We had chucked it and let an aging full back humiliate us.

None of these things will happen this time

Two things worry me ahead of the game against them.
1-our midfield is not dominating games and that's where they are pretty strong.
2-I still worry that our full backs will be caught out by the likes of Sinclair and Roberts, we might not like it but they are actually very good, intelligent footballers.

Drop Miller who has a habit of scoring against them and bring in Rossiter who has barely played in a a year?

It's all about opinions I suppose-if it's to be a tough hard fought game-Miller probably still has the legs to allow others to come on later when the pace goes out.

Drop Miller who has a habit of scoring against them and bring in Rossiter who has barely played in a a year?

It's all about opinions I suppose-if it's to be a tough hard fought game-Miller probably still has the legs to allow others to come on later when the pace goes out.
He is always good for a goal against them.

I'd play him but not be so reliant on him

Realistically, I'd say we are currently performing about as well as we could expect to be right now. The team is functioning well enough that we can give them a game.

Expectation wise, I think we can give them a bloody nose and certainly take the lead in the game but I can't see past them scoring. We can't afford to be wasteful with the good chances we will almost certainly create.

Two things worry me ahead of the game against them.
1-our midfield is not dominating games and that's where they are pretty strong.
2-I still worry that our full backs will be caught out by the likes of Sinclair and Roberts, we might not like it but they are actually very good, intelligent footballers.

Your point about the midfield is spot on, we surrendered possession in the middle of the park for lengthy periods yesterday. Dorrans and Jack alone will get overun. Would be better sacrificing a front man and putting Rossiter in beside Jack with Dorrans a bit further forward with Pena supporting Moralos.

We are all Rangers fans (well most of us, bolt lurkers!)

Of course we want to gub celtc, nothing better. We are also looking better then we have in a while squad wise. Not been perfect on the park yet but looks like we are starting to see improvements.

I am not setting myself up for a fall by predicting victories or getting carried away setting standards for performances, be they that of the players or the managers.

We are still very much a work in progress. I like the progress we are making btw and will go into this next game versus them with a quiet confidence. But i will also be able to absorb and digest a defeat if need be and take it for what it is at this point in our rebuild.

I am not going to corner myself into an absolute position about who must or what must be acheived, certainly not a fortnight before the game. That is early, even for on here!

I would bite your hand off for a scrappy 1 goal win deflected off anyone's erse right now.

Your point about the midfield is spot on, we surrendered possession in the middle of the park for lengthy periods yesterday. Dorrans and Jack alone will get overun. Would be better sacrificing a front man and putting Rossiter in beside Jack with Dorrans a bit further forward with Pena supporting Moralos.
Rossiter should be in ahead of Miller

Miller and Krancjar should be nowhere near the starting eleven on the 23rd if we're to have any chance of getting a decent result.
Agreed, this will be a totally different game than what this team has been used to this season, they will attack us and we will not be facing 10 men behind the ball. I think this will suit us and I fancy us to win.

I agree but you could know that Miller is a stick on to start, simply because he's experienced.

Imho we have to score first,ideally like the way we started against HIVS, if they score 1st it'll be business as usual from where they are concerned l,but if we start fast and score 1st, it'll be new territory for them and there fans and I think there arse would collapse:);)

I watched the match yesterday and I like him as a player. However, every Dundee move came down Tavs side. Far to often he was caught up the pitch and no one was covering.
If we play the same against that lot they will pump us.

You'd think Dundee were hitting us with wave after wave of attacks the way you say that. We dominated the game, albeit maybe not carrying much threat for some of it, but if you came out of Ibrox thinking that it identified Tav as a weak link, you were watching a different game to me.

Miller/Niko are the 2 that cannot start against the Tims if we want to be competitive. Niko replaced by Windass, and Rossiter for Miller, then push Dorrans further up is the way to approach it.

Pena has done nothing to show he has what it takes to handle a game of this magnitude.

NK cannot start and ideally, neither should Miller.

The manager has much food for thought.

Would tend to agree, but theres still two games to go before then, heres hoping he can build a bit of momentum.

Walter regularly threw a curveball in the derby, nobody expected Cousin to start at the piggery the day he rag-dolled their defence.

Imho we have to score first,ideally like the way we started against HIVS, if they score 1st it'll be business as usual from where they are concerned l,but if we start fast and score 1st, it'll be new territory for them and there fans and I think there arse would collapse:);)
... like the Hogmanay game.
We need to be right in their faces for the whole 90 minutes. If we can do this we're in with a chance.

Maybe it's a game of this magnitude he needs.

A risk of epic proportions.

The manager's credibility (and potentially, job) depend on him getting these decisions right.

That said, if Pena proves himself over the next couple of games, he does come into contention.

Last edited:
We have improved since last year but we still have two poor full backs and that's the biggest worry for me.

I'd take a draw right now, it would be fantastic to win but it's not essential right now as long as we beat the other teams.

People need to realise they aren't that good, a team thats been inflated by garbage opposition in our league, anytime they play someone decent they struggle. Remember were an unknown entity to them now as well, if they think they'll turn up and steamroll us they'll be in for an absolute shock.

Personally I think Pedro will turn it into a physical match and counter them all game, I feel very positive going into the match, although I've felt like that before and we've lost, I absolutely do not expect us to get horsed.

This.
They only had 6 shots on target against the Fistle. The press hype the rats up.

A lot of confidence on here, I'm not sure if its just bravado because I think we'll do very well to get a result.

Theirs is a settled team full of confidence, we don't know how our many new faces will react in the heat.

They do have probably their most important Champions League game 4 days later, away to Anderlecht which they can't lose if they have ambitions of getting that 3rd place. So maybe they'll take their eye off the ball. I can't see that though and they're unlikely to rest their big guns like they did v Hamilton.

So Celtic will be odds on favs and rightly so. As I say, there's a lot of bravado...I think if you're being level headed then we'll not necessarily expect to beat them but be pleased with an improvement on last time and I think if we emerge with a point and we're still only 3 behind then that's satisfactory. After the doom and gloom of Hearts I think most of us felt we might be 8-10 or more points behind after the Old Firm Game so if we're still within one victory of them then that's not bad.

We drew with them last season away from home when most would say we were a far bit weaker.

Historically when there is a big gap between the teams it doesn't always translate to easy wins or whatever. So I get the fact it is not certain we will lose easily.

However the notion the media are hyping them up or whatever is puerile-they are in essence a pretty potent team who score goals however and whoever they are playing. They are doing what a good team does when individuals or sections of the team struggle they tend to hold together.

The other notion they won't know what to expect from us is daft-they will have watched us in detail-our only element of surprise is on the day.

We need to compete on the day-a realistic view would be if we compete and give them a game we will have improved under the manager.

I have a fair bit of confidence we have enough to beat them. If the worst was to happen and we do get beat then the manner of defeat is what's important. A surrender like the cup semi and 1-5 game and, rightly or wrongly, the knives are out for Pedro.

... like the Hogmanay game.
We need to be right in their faces for the whole 90 minutes. If we can do this we're in with a chance.
Totally different manager and team mate, this Rangers team is stronger, in fact unlike the Hogmanay game, this Rangers team's arse won't give in the minute Ceptic get a corner.
Imho if we start fast and score 1st we win and we win by 2

I hope Pedro's learned from the games at the end of last season because they were painful to watch. The tactics of sit in and catch them on the break didn't work for me. Stopped the crown getting behind the team and gave them confidence and got their support going.

Totally different manager and team mate, this Rangers team is stronger, in fact unlike the Hogmanay game, this Rangers team's arse won't give in the minute Ceptic get a corner.
Imho if we start fast and score 1st we win and we win by 2
I hope to phuck you're spot on bud!!

A lot of confidence on here, I'm not sure if its just bravado because I think we'll do very well to get a result.

Theirs is a settled team full of confidence, we don't know how our many new faces will react in the heat.

They do have probably their most important Champions League game 4 days later, away to Anderlecht which they can't lose if they have ambitions of getting that 3rd place. So maybe they'll take their eye off the ball. I can't see that though and they're unlikely to rest their big guns like they did v Hamilton.

So Celtic will be odds on favs and rightly so. As I say, there's a lot of bravado...I think if you're being level headed then we'll not necessarily expect to beat them but be pleased with an improvement on last time and I think if we emerge with a point and we're still only 3 behind then that's satisfactory. After the doom and gloom of Hearts I think most of us felt we might be 8-10 or more points behind after the Old Firm Game so if we're still within one victory of them then that's not bad.

I agree with most of this bar the 8-10 point gap.

I wasn't as impressed as others by us yesterday, a 6/10. Dundee were one of the worst sides i've saw in a while. Apart from 5 mins at the start of the second half they offered nothing much.

I wouldn't underestimate them either and both our full backs struggle to defend.

Our stadium, new season, far stronger team...time we gave these cûnt§ a fright.

Honestly can't not see Miller getting a start simply because of his experience and record in these fixtures. Hopefully we can keep it 0-0 with no daft mistakes and take a decent chance or two once the usual madness has settled down.

The last thing we need is another pish refereeing performance too, a la Hibs, and that's got me worried. I'm concerned what will have us at a big disadvantage is them being allowed to foul with impunity while our lads get it tight early and for misdemeanours. The crowd need to let the ref know exactly who the home team is from the off !

It's high time we got a break in these games and I think our far better squad will make their own.

You'd think Dundee were hitting us with wave after wave of attacks the way you say that. We dominated the game, albeit maybe not carrying much threat for some of it, but if you came out of Ibrox thinking that it identified Tav as a weak link, you were watching a different game to me.

Miller/Niko are the 2 that cannot start against the Tims if we want to be competitive. Niko replaced by Windass, and Rossiter for Miller, then push Dorrans further up is the way to approach it.
Whilst i agree with this I would argue Dorrans has been almost as poor as Miller the last couple of games. I'm torn on who should start against them as I'm hoping that Miller will click into form eventually and that's just the game we all know he can do it in. Having said that we need everybody performing that day and Miller certainly hasn't been doing that.

Back