Admiral - City Centre Slophouse Closing

A wee story about that place.

December 4th 1987 I was having my stag night in there. Six of us left, straight from Barr & Stroud and headed there, Would have got there about 4ish as we stopped early on a Friday.

One of the guys goes up to the bar and gets the first round in. As he’s ordering , the barman says “ I hope this isn’t a stag night”. Gav, without hesitating, “ aye it is a fcuking stag night whit yae gonna dae aboot it”. “finish yer drinks and get out”. The other five of them spent the next three hours shuttling back from The Toby Jug to The Admiral redirecting everyone while I was getting plastered. Was never back in it after that. Rounded off the night with a knock back from the Savoy. To be fair, I could hardly walk by that point.

December 4th 1987 I was having my stag night in there. Six of us left, straight from Barr & Stroud and headed there, Would have got there about 4ish as we stopped early on a Friday.

One of the guys goes up to the bar and gets the first round in. As he’s ordering , the barman says “ I hope this isn’t a stag night”. Gav, without hesitating, “ aye it is a fcuking stag night whit yae gonna dae aboot it”. “finish yer drinks and get out”. The other five of them spent the next three hours shuttling back from The Toby Jug to The Admiral redirecting everyone while I was getting plastered. Was never back in it after that. Rounded off the night with a knock back from the Savoy. To be fair, I could hardly walk by that point.
A Scottish urban epic.

No way.

I remember my dad use to tell me that story for years, always thought it it was an urban myth, how wrong i was.

Cool story Bro

Ross is a rat bastard - years ago he promoted rebel nights like The Peatdiggers. Mate of mine worked at the Sun back then and done a story about it - he got onto Ross who shat his pants and sang like a canary so long as his name was kept out the paper - a dirty stinking grass.
It’s Ross and his business partners! Looks like they are focusing on the Thornwood in the west end, another place to avoid.

Has it always been a Pope pub? I used to go in now and again back in the 70s, early 80s and don't recall it being Popish.
So did I and definetly no leanings in any direction it was just a decent city centre pub.I didn't know it had been turned into one of there hovels seems an odd location and bad business to do that.

The guy that owns it is a Celtic fan, but it's not really a Celtic pub. It's right in the middle of Glasgow's IFSD, so it's populated by after-work folk, more than anything else.

Great wee pub being bulldozed in order to build another faceless office building. Bad news for Glasgow city centre, imo, despite the ravings of some.

The owner got involved with the Thornwood when the building application was originally touted. The Admiral's closure's been on the cards for a number of years, but it was hoped that it could be saved.

Always a mystery why and how these type of premises exist , hidden in plain sight as the saying goes. Is it because they have their placemen in the license trade , are they ever under watch from the Polis , as I'm sure it would be easy enough to spot known undesirables leaving and entering the pub. There must be blatant illegal activity evident in the places , the song sheets of the local bar flies would point to sectarian criminality alone , . and the bands invited to entertain must be notorious for their repertoire.It seems everybody knows what goes on in the place apart from the controlling authorities. I remember someone telling me that if you want a license for a pub in Glasgow you only have to tell the board you'll be hiring Irish Republican bands and promoting rhebel nights on a regular basis, and I thought they were kidding.

Ross is a rat bastard - years ago he promoted rebel nights like The Peatdiggers. Mate of mine worked at the Sun back then and done a story about it - he got onto Ross who shat his pants and sang like a canary so long as his name was kept out the paper - a dirty stinking grass.
Snitches get stitches

Sounds like a top night and proof that diplomacy always pays off.

Always a mystery why and how these type of premises exist , hidden in plain sight as the saying goes. Is it because they have their placemen in the license trade , are they ever under watch from the Polis , as I'm sure it would be easy enough to spot known undesirables leaving and entering the pub. There must be blatant illegal activity evident in the places , the song sheets of the local bar flies would point to sectarian criminality alone , . and the bands invited to entertain must be notorious for their repertoire.It seems everybody knows what goes on in the place apart from the controlling authorities. I remember someone telling me that if you want a license for a pub in Glasgow you only have to tell the board you'll be hiring Irish Republican bands and promoting rhebel nights on a regular basis, and I thought they were kidding.
Customers buying their booze I woulda thought.

Along with the Thornwood (I had no idea the two were linked) I muted them on Twitter to avoid their incessant left-wing posturing, and I say that as someone probably slightly to the left of centre.

The fact both are ran by Papes is no shock.

The guy that owns it is a Celtic fan, but it's not really a Celtic pub. It's right in the middle of Glasgow's IFSD, so it's populated by after-work folk, more than anything else.

Great wee pub being bulldozed in order to build another faceless office building. Bad news for Glasgow city centre, imo, despite the ravings of some.

The owner got involved with the Thornwood when the building application was originally touted. The Admiral's closure's been on the cards for a number of years, but it was hoped that it could be saved.
I was under impression that they were deliberately trying to steer it away from being a Celtic pub. I've been in the place a few times for work and never had the impression it was a slop house.

I had many an after work pint in the Admiral back in the 80s and 90s. Was a decent boozer back then. Moved away from Glasgow and last time I was in about 20 years ago it was lousy. If they then turned it over that lot, and alienated a chunk of their potential clientele, it's not surprising it's gone tits up. Sounds like it won't be missed

I'll be honest, I'm guessing that most folk commenting on the Admiral being a slop house have never been in it, or at least recently. It's a pub for office workers and focuses on food. My office was almost next door and we'd be in every Friday lunchtime and at least once a week after work. At no point was there ever any hint of it being a Tim pub, or any other club side. I would not have went to the place if it was a Tim pub.
I cant really comment on the events in the basement as I'd never been. To me it always seemed to be club or mod nights.

Used to work in there from 87-89 Great pub and decent clientele in those days. Not been in it for years.

I'll be honest, I'm guessing that most folk commenting on the Admiral being a slop house have never been in it, or at least recently. It's a pub for office workers and focuses on food. My office was almost next door and we'd be in every Friday lunchtime and at least once a week after work. At no point was there ever any hint of it being a Tim pub, or any other club side. I would not have went to the place if it was a Tim pub.
I cant really comment on the events in the basement as I'd never been. To me it always seemed to be club or mod nights.
I was in about month ago midweek, didn't know they were playing ,went for a pish then left,full of green brigade types in that weird uniform they wear,they Will probably move onto Murphy's in merchant city,it's even worse, Coatbridge rebel band every other week.

Last edited:
It doesn't need to have tricolours and photos of Henrik larsson hanging up for it to be a celtic pub.Its even listed as a celtic pub on there equivalent of rangers pubs on the Internet.

Back