Advocaat When He Was Looking for Final Piece of Jigsaw With Striker

Big black striker for Bruges, we played against him in the 92 CL games. Think he went to Everton

In our 'being linked with everyone days', do I correctly remember us being linked with Brazilian nutter Edmundo?

Went to West Ham and lasted about a fortnight :eek:
Thank Christ that one didn’t materialise.
Rebrov and Shevchenko were under Smith I remember being quite excited about them:p

Wasn't he the one who didn't bother turning up for a game cause he was going shopping with his missus and then Redknapp got rid.

Was a brilliantly talented player but a lunatic by all accounts.

We were also in 99 I think it was linked with Ronaldo, the real one.

Mpenza would have been good in Scotland, Rebrov was a bullet dodged looking back, plenty were in the frame and I think the problem is Advocaat didn't really know what type of striker he wanted, he went from fast explosive to Big and burly with little mobility to Poacher.

Tamudo would have been sensational but was loyal to the club he would end up captaining and finishing his career with.
Reminded me of Mols a wee bit
Was it Tamudo who was pictured crying like a wee lassie because it looked like he was going to leave his club ( espanyol?) to come to us.

Who was the big handsome guy we were linked with who played for AC and Newcastle, was that more a Smith link? Something or other Anderson he was fucken shit for Newcastle.

He actually had a good Euro's, I remember McNee reckoning that we had the better deal signing Konterman than the poet's signing Valgaeren.

In all honesty, Valgaeren was as bad, it was just that Celtic were suited to a big brusing animal of a centre half because the whole O'neill style was circa Motherwell 2018

Who was the big handsome guy we were linked with who played for AC and Newcastle, was that more a Smith link? Something or other Anderson he was fucken shit for Newcastle.

Sonny Anderson? There is a proper throwback. Jesus.

Jon Dahl Tommason? Sonny Anderson never played for either, silly me.

Ewan Chester might have been the scout who looked at a young Zlatan in Sweden and said he was too gangly for Scottish football, he went to Ajax and the rest is history.

Imagine what he could have done with us. Also Robert Pires and Van Persie were close to signing, what could have been.

Defo under Advocaat. Summer 2000. Murray said he had the contract 'in his desk waiting to sign'

"We had completed a deal earlier with Sergei Rebrov but right at the last minute Dick Advocaat decided it was not a route he wished to go down but that to me is not a problem because Dick is in charge of all football matters."
Never knew that! He must have went to Tottenham for over £10m and was a complete flop without Shevchenko by his side. Bullet dodged perhaps?
Remember my Dad saying we had a deal for Paul Merson signed but Smith pulled the plug and we signed a decent but less inspiring Dale Gordon, the following weekend Merson is all over the back and front pages in Cocaine shame headlines, insider knowledge and at the time was probably another bullet dodged BUT what a player especially back then

Was thinking when Advocaat around 2000, Was in Search of a Top Striker For around 10-15 Million. I remember some of the names.

Benni Mccarthy
Jardel
Shabani Nonda
Guy From Spain i believe with a Name Like Klovanec or something tall target man
Raul Tamudo
Van Nistelrooy
Luc Nilis
Ronaldo
Jan Koller

Can Anyone Think of any other links around this period? If he could have got a top top striker in at that time what a team we could have had.

was it now Walter Smith that was trying to sign Jardel round about 96/97

Andreas Andersson maybe? Floppy blonde hair fella?

Or maybe Mikkel Beck, who we were linked with a lot under Smith i'm sure. Ended up at Middlesbrough.

Both were shit tbf.

Andreas Andersson maybe? Floppy blonde hair fella?

Or maybe Mikkel Beck, who we were linked with a lot under Smith i'm sure. Ended up at Middlesbrough.

Both were shit tbf.

Andersson was the one aye

Beck was shite like, he looked like he should have been good as well.

Ah the days of Match, Shoot and World Soccer.

I thought you were talking about Kennet Andersson at first.

Was it Tamudo who was pictured crying like a wee lassie because it looked like he was going to leave his club ( espanyol?) to come to us.
I'm not sure mate,but he was certainly loyal to his club that's for sure-brilliant player with a genuine love for his club and trade.

Its so annoying the guys we could have had, and we ended up with Flo who was a good striker but compared to some of the names like Nistelrooy etc.

The only thing that stopped RvN from joining Rangers was the league we played in. Had we been in the Premiership, he would have joined us, not United. I got that from Bert van Lingen.

Defo under Advocaat. Summer 2000. Murray said he had the contract 'in his desk waiting to sign'

"We had completed a deal earlier with Sergei Rebrov but right at the last minute Dick Advocaat decided it was not a route he wished to go down but that to me is not a problem because Dick is in charge of all football matters."
Probably in debt to the bank,even then. The alarm bells should've rang when we signed Flo for 12 million,hindsight is a bustard.

Wasn't he the one who didn't bother turning up for a game cause he was going shopping with his missus and then Redknapp got rid.

Was a brilliantly talented player but a lunatic by all accounts.

We were also in 99 I think it was linked with Ronaldo, the real one.

Mpenza would have been good in Scotland, Rebrov was a bullet dodged looking back, plenty were in the frame and I think the problem is Advocaat didn't really know what type of striker he wanted, he went from fast explosive to Big and burly with little mobility to Poacher.

It was either he was shopping or it was raining , he was a basket case.
Ronaldo was considering it , by all accounts we were only going to ask him to play in Europe, home games and big away ones according to him anyway.

Flo was a very good player but not a £12m player. I got the impression Murray was desperate to break the transfer record by a considerable margin that he needed any £12m player! Flo was worth £6m at that point and would have been an excellent £6m acquisition. After Tamudo it just became desperation.

Was thinking when Advocaat around 2000, Was in Search of a Top Striker For around 10-15 Million. I remember some of the names.

Benni Mccarthy
Jardel
Shabani Nonda
Guy From Spain i believe with a Name Like Klovanec or something tall target man
Raul Tamudo
Van Nistelrooy
Luc Nilis
Ronaldo
Jan Koller

Can Anyone Think of any other links around this period? If he could have got a top top striker in at that time what a team we could have had.

Diego tristan
Darko kovacevic
Christian

Robbie Fowler was a name that seemed to always get mentioned. Was he ever seriously linked?
The one who got away.
From memory we signed Tore Andre Flo in November 2000. Robbie Fowler had a bust-up with Phil Thomson who was Houlier's assistant a few months later, think Fowler knocked off Thomson's hat or something similarly trivial, and ended up being sold to Leeds for £9.5M I think about a year after we bought Flo. If only he had fell out with Thomson a year earlier as it was often said he was a Bear. Played in a testimonial I seem to recall and said wearing the Rangers shirt was a career highlight for him. As I say going from memory but I always think, if only.
By the way Flo did OK for us, 29 goals in 53 appearances but the size of the transfer fee Murray paid was the problem. £9.5M for Fowler would have been a snip by comparison.

Went to West Ham and lasted about a fortnight :eek:
Thank Christ that one didn’t materialise.
Rebrov and Shevchenko were under Smith I remember being quite excited about them:p

Walter rubbished the Shevchenko link at a Louden night a few years back.

He said Vialli was extremely close though.

I'm sure I read on here that we were intrested in Batistuta would that have been round about then I would have only been turning 9 that year so can't remember any ins and outs really.

Back