Advocaat When He Was Looking for Final Piece of Jigsaw With Striker

stephen ferris

Was thinking when Advocaat around 2000, Was in Search of a Top Striker For around 10-15 Million. I remember some of the names.

Benni Mccarthy
Jardel
Shabani Nonda
Guy From Spain i believe with a Name Like Klovanec or something tall target man
Raul Tamudo
Van Nistelrooy
Luc Nilis
Ronaldo
Jan Koller

Can Anyone Think of any other links around this period? If he could have got a top top striker in at that time what a team we could have had.

Can anyone remember the guy who maybe played for Celta Vigo or somewhere in spain anyway. with a name like klonavec or something like that?

Think Tamudo Scored at Hampden in the uefa cup final for Espanyol Aswell. Remember his crying when leaving espanyol to come over for his medical.

Remember rumours about him thinking of going for Van Hooijdonk

Imagine that for a timplosion
Arthur Numan said that Advocaat asked him to try and talk Van Hooijkdonk into a move to us whilst they were on international duty but he wasn't up for it lol

Such a shame the final piece was actually sitting in the stands with a blown out knee.

Was reading through the replies before I was going to say something similar. The final piece of the jigsaw had already been injured in Munich the year before tragically.

Man, any of those names would have been lovely in the SPL at the time. Such a wasted opportunity, we really should have spent our money more wisely.

Wasn't Rebrov one linked under Walter Smith?

Defo under Advocaat. Summer 2000. Murray said he had the contract 'in his desk waiting to sign'

"We had completed a deal earlier with Sergei Rebrov but right at the last minute Dick Advocaat decided it was not a route he wished to go down but that to me is not a problem because Dick is in charge of all football matters."

Defo under Advocaat. Summer 2000. Murray said he had the contract 'in his desk waiting to sign'

"We had completed a deal earlier with Sergei Rebrov but right at the last minute Dick Advocaat decided it was not a route he wished to go down but that to me is not a problem because Dick is in charge of all football matters."
Think we got lucky with that one as he never really set the heather on fire at Spurs

Robbie Fowler was a name that seemed to always get mentioned. Was he ever seriously linked?

Went to West Ham and lasted about a fortnight :eek:
Thank Christ that one didn’t materialise.
Rebrov and Shevchenko were under Smith I remember being quite excited about them:p

I was desperate for us to sign FR having watched him for Romania in USA94. Spent weeks chashing him and we signed Salenko in the end (who wasn't anywhere near as bad a player as people make out) but they were two entirely different types of player.

Showed Walter's "just buy what you can and we'll shoe horn them in" policy up.

Works a treat when you can buy a Laudrup. Not so much when you're just throwing cash around at anything with no real plan.

Back