Aerial view of Ibrox, date unknown

mdingwall

Administrator

Going through my archives I came across this picture which was sent to me - the envelope is post-marked 1998 but I don't know is it's the original or just a hard-backed enveloped I used to preserve the picture.

Anyone able to date the picture?

HO1gdc1.jpg

Definitely post summer 1995,
I remember attending the summer Ibrox tournament vs Sampdoria and Steaua Bucherest and the coloured seats were in the process of getting ripped out at the time.

In fact it must be post 1996. The corners weren't completed until that summer.

Check out when the companies on the advertising boards sponsored us
That should give you an inclination

McEwan's Lager banner of some sort over the BF1 section which could really make it any time up to 1999?

This is my all-time favourite for purely personal reasons.

6ddecVu.jpg

It takes in Kintra St just off Woodville St in the background. My old house is directly opposite the high rise blocks. They were tenements when I lived there back in the early 60's. Jeez I'm old.

It also takes in my first school, Broomloan Rd Primary, same school that Sir Alex went to.

Seeing the Clyde reminds me of the Govan ferry over to Partick when I were a lad.

Those were the days my friend.

Last edited:
Key clue is that the pitchside hoardings are still Nike & McEwans Lager, so late 90's/very early 00's is my guess.

The door to the right of the main entrance has been bricked up and the industrial estate behind the GE corner hasn't been buil which might provide additional clues.

If those are indeed Nike and McEwans advertising boards then that helps things.

We changed from Adidas to Nike for our kits in the summer of 1997.
We changed from McEwans Lager shirt sponsorship in the summer of 1999 for ntl,

Gives a timeframe of Summer 97 - Summer 99.

1998 could well be correct.

Going by all the dates so far, its getting narrowed down to 1998 which is what was in the OP. Likely the envelope is correct

Kids are on the Astro at the school so before the summer holidays I’d guess.

So tail end of 97/98 season?

If those are indeed Nike and McEwans advertising boards then that helps things.

We changed from Adidas to Nike for our kits in the summer of 1997.
We changed from McEwans Lager shirt sponsorship in the summer of 1999 for ntl,

Gives a timeframe of Summer 97 - Summer 99.

1998 could well be correct.
Precisely the conclusion I just came to.

The Rangers FC signage on the Govan Stand roof went up in time for the start of the 1997/98 season so I reckon 1998 is spot on

Also looks like a UEFA game going by the flags. If it's the "regular" advertising boards that would suggest a UEFA Cup game. We were in the UEFA Cup for 1998/99 and as suggested earlier with the kids all on the complex opposite it looks like a summer soccer school.

Would suggest it was before we played Shelbourne at home - which was July/ early August 1998

I could be wrong, but the yellow font on the McEwans hoardings matches the red with navy blue sleeves away top that we wore in Advocaat’s first season and McEwan’s last. If memory serves we wore it for a single season before the shirt sponsor changed to NTL.

So, I’d say season 98-99. Which year though, I’m not entirely sure.

Off topic, but here's one from the Strathclyde Police Helicopter I was sent years ago. Its a cracking ponoramam at full resolution. The data on the image is Saturday 31 March 2007 @ 1:44 pm. We drew 1-1- with Inverness Cally that day. Charlie Adam scored after 15 mins and Darren Dods got a red for Cally. They equalised after 82 mins through Craig Dargo.

https://i.ibb.co/PCfxC30/Ibrox.jpg

Off topic, but here's one from the Strathclyde Police Helicopter I was sent years ago. The data on the image is Saturday 31 March 2007 @ 1:44 pm. We drew 1-1- with Inverness Cally that day. Charlie Adam scored after 15 mins and Darren Dods got a red for Cally. They equalised after 82 mins through Craig Dargo.
A lot of our fans seem to have blue cars for some reason B-D

Off topic, but here's one from the Strathclyde Police Helicopter I was sent years ago. Its a cracking ponoramam at full resolution. The data on the image is Saturday 31 March 2007 @ 1:44 pm. We drew 1-1- with Inverness Cally that day. Charlie Adam scored after 15 mins and Darren Dods got a red for Cally. They equalised after 82 mins through Craig Dargo.

https://i.ibb.co/PCfxC30/Ibrox.jpg

The full high res of that at 100% zoom is incredible mate, duly saved B-D B-D

6ddecVu.jpg

It takes in Kintra St just off Woodville St in the background. My old house is directly opposite the high rise blocks. They were tenements when I lived there back in the early 60's. Jeez I'm old.

It also takes in my first school, Broomloan Rd Primary, same school that Sir Alex went to.

Seeing the Clyde reminds me of the Govan ferry over to Partick when I were a lad.

That’s a very nostalgic picture for me too, had cousins in Broomloan Court and my grandparents ended up living in Iona Court having lived in Orkney Street many years previously, my mother and her siblings attended Broomloan Road School.
My grandfather worked in Harland and Wolff’s shipyard, where the Riverside housing scheme is.

6ddecVu.jpg

My grandfather went to that school too.

Going through my archives I came across this picture which was sent to me - the envelope is post-marked 1998 but I don't know is it's the original or just a hard-backed enveloped I used to preserve the picture.

Anyone able to date the picture?

HO1gdc1.jpg
What a glorious sight.

Back