After his press conference chat - what tactics will Beale adopt?

The bottom line for me is going to be what he does to counter ten man defences only interested in not losing.

Previously we struggled to do this convincingly when he was the tactics guru under Gerrard so it will be interesting to see what he’s learned from that and what he does differently now that he’s his own man.

We worked out sides who sit in and could quite easily break down, and done so often, and convincingly during 55.

Even during the spell Gerrard was with us last season, the general chance creation wasn't the issue it was predominantly calamitous fuckups at the back and turgid finishing which lead to dropped points at Ibrox in particular.

Last edited:
He forgot to mention 4-4-2(yeah cos no one plays that way anymore)

The way to win that league, or to make sure of 3 points against sides that crowd the penalty box is to play with 2 strikers. Move them around, work the centre backs put them under pressure then they make mistakes.

We should have a strong physical forward in the squad that wins headers and someone like Wright should only be used as a partner for Colak. 2 strikers in recent games we would have picked up some more points never again should one man be left isolated in a match against an spfl side it is embarrassing.

At least Beale has seen it before and knows all about the league but if we keep playing EPL systems or using the English coaching manual which is about not giving Spain, France or Germany the ball back cos they will beat us.. we will just drop more silly points playing around in front of these sides.

Maybe he will use 3-4-1-2 which seems to be quite popular at the WC, dont need so many defenders in most games and it would allow Kent or Tillman to play behind our forwards.

The bottom line for me is going to be what he does to counter ten man defences only interested in not losing.

Previously we struggled to do this convincingly when he was the tactics guru under Gerrard so it will be interesting to see what he’s learned from that and what he does differently now that he’s his own man.
Only interested in keeping the score down!

It’s what we do in front of goal that has to change.
We need striker(s) in front of defenders.
We need players breaking into space and able to take a pass from the player in possession.
We need players able to pass the ball quickly with one touch.

We worked out sides who sit in and could quite easily break down, and done so often, and convincingly during 55.

Even during the spell Gerrard was with us last season, the general chance creation wasn't the issue it was predominantly calamitous fuckups at the back and turgid finishing which lead to dropped points at Ibrox in particular.
I think a few have a tendency to rewrite 55 to some extent. Post Xmas that season was a bit of a slog at times, but we did just enough to get over the line.

I think you have to expect sticky patches over the course of any season where you need to dig deep to grind out results, but I think what a lot of us complained about at the time was the lack of variation when we were labouring against teams like that.

It was very much a stubborn persistence with Plan A and an unwavering belief that it would pay off if we just stuck with it.

During 55 it did, but frequently didn’t in the other seasons Beale was there.

He’s a very smart, ambitious coach and eager to learn and develop so I’m hoping he’ll have new thoughts and ideas on how to counter those tactics, but watching the World Cup you can see that even with much better players than ours it’s not always easy to do.

I think a few have a tendency to rewrite 55 to some extent. Post Xmas that season was a bit of a slog at times, but we did just enough to get over the line.

I think you have to expect sticky patches over the course of any season where you need to dig deep to grind out results, but I think what a lot of us complained about at the time was the lack of variation when we were labouring against teams like that.

It was very much a stubborn persistence with Plan A and an unwavering belief that it would pay off if we just stuck with it.

He’s a very smart, ambitious coach and eager to learn and develop so I’m hoping he’ll have new thoughts and ideas on how to counter those tactics, but watching the World Cup you can see that even with much better players than ours it’s not always easy to do.

Wait, you claim some people rewrite that season, and then say "we did just enough to get over the line"

f*cking wit.

:)):)):)):)):)):)):))

We did just enough to get over the line in several games post Xmas.

Would you rather we didn't do enough to get games over the line?

Such as when we beat Celtic just after Christmas, to just do enough to get in front on them, just the 19 point lead after that one, oh the struggles of that season!

Having full backs who can bring so much to the forward line will be a big help to combat the kind of systems we find ourselves up against mostly; we can stretch the play from either side rather quickly having that, and it was effective in the past.

I agree.

Killie at home
St J at home
Hibs at home

All 1-0 wins and not pretty to watch

It’s going to happen to all teams at some point.

But I totally agree that the 55 season is looked back on being more free flowing that it actually was.

Would you rather we didn't do enough to get games over the line?

Such as when we beat Celtic to just do enough to get in front on them, just the 19 point lead after that one, oh the struggles of that season!
You appear to be imagining that I’m somehow downplaying our achievements that season. I’m not. I am however pointing out that from Xmas onwards there were quite a few games that we laboured in as Gerrard and Beale persisted with their favoured tactics and gameplan.

I’m also pointing out that this was the only season they were there where that persistence paid off against stubborn low block defensive teams.

My original post was essentially about what Beale may have learned about that and what new approaches he might employ counteracting it now.

I agree.

Killie at home
St J at home
Hibs at home

All 1-0 wins and not pretty to watch

It’s going to happen to all teams at some point.

But I totally agree that the 55 season is looked back on being more free flowing that it actually was.
I think up until Xmas we were great, after that it became more laboured.

Take nothing away from the achievement though.

To go unbeaten throughout an entire league campaign, win every home game and record over 100 points was absolutely sensational.

You appear to be imagining that I’m somehow downplaying our achievements that season. I’m not. I am however pointing out that from Xmas onwards there were quite a few games that we laboured in as Gerrard and Beale persisted with their favoured tactics and gameplan.

I’m also pointing out that this was the only season they were there where that persistence paid off against stubborn low block defensive teams.

My original post was essentially about what Beale may have learned about that and what new approaches he might employ counteracting it now.

I don't need to imagine things when they are in type?

"we did just enough to get over the line" we won the league by 25 points, in what way is that evidence of a side "just doing enough to get over the line"

From Christmas onwards?

Rangers 5 Ross County 0
Rangers 4 Dundee United 1
Rangers 3 St Mirren 0
Rangers 4 Celtic 1
Rangers 4 Aberdeen 0

Even a few of the 1-0 games were dominant game control.

Gerrard and his coaching team evidenced a learning, in a season when they played ten man defenses only interested in not losing they won 32 of 38 games, across a season 38 game season of course some games would seem "labored" playing football against sides like that

We had shown struggles, a pretty clear show was demonstrated of over coming that

You are talking complete nonsense

Last edited:
I don't need to imagine things when they are in type?

"we did just enough to get over the line" we won the league by 25 points, in what way is that evidence of a side "just doing enough to get over the line"

From Christmas onwards?

Rangers 5 Ross County 0
Rangers 4 Dundee United 1
Rangers 3 St Mirren 0
Rangers 4 Celtic 1
Rangers 4 Aberdeen 0

Even a few of the 1-0 games were dominant game control.

Gerrard and his coaching team evidenced a learning, in a season when they played ten man defenses only interested in losing they won 32 of 38 games, across a season 38 game season of course some games would seem "labored" playing football like that.

We had shown struggles, a pretty clear show was demonstrated of over coming that

You are talking complete nonsense
Jeezo pal!

I’ve already explained the ‘doing just enough to get over the line’ bit was in reference to individual games from Xmas onwards, not the season as a whole. I’m not sure what it is you’re not getting there.

1-1 v Motherwell
1-0 v Hibs
1-0 v St. Johnstone
1-1 v Hamilton
1-0 v Kilmarnock
1-0 v Livingston

These were all games in a six week period from the middle of January to the start of March where we weren’t playing with the same intensity we had been earlier in the season.

I’ve already acknowledged though that you do have to expect periods like that during a season and the important thing that year was that we did just enough in those games to continue our march towards the title.

In the other two and a half seasons that wasn’t always the case.

Jeezo pal!

I’ve already explained the ‘doing just enough to get over the line’ bit was in reference to individual games from Xmas onwards, not the season as a whole. I’m not sure what it is you’re not getting there.

1-1 v Motherwell
1-0 v Hibs
1-0 v St. Johnstone
1-1 v Hamilton
1-0 v Kilmarnock
1-0 v Livingston

These were all games in a six week period from the middle of January to the start of March where we weren’t playing with the same intensity we had been earlier in the season.

I’ve already acknowledged though that you do have to expect periods like that during a season and the important thing that year was that we did just enough in those games to continue our march towards the title.

In the other two and a half seasons that wasn’t always the case.

a tragic desperation to try and be right on the internet, shambles lol.

He forgot to mention 4-4-2(yeah cos no one plays that way anymore)

The way to win that league, or to make sure of 3 points against sides that crowd the penalty box is to play with 2 strikers. Move them around, work the centre backs put them under pressure then they make mistakes.

We should have a strong physical forward in the squad that wins headers and someone like Wright should only be used as a partner for Colak. 2 strikers in recent games we would have picked up some more points never again should one man be left isolated in a match against an spfl side it is embarrassing.

At least Beale has seen it before and knows all about the league but if we keep playing EPL systems or using the English coaching manual which is about not giving Spain, France or Germany the ball back cos they will beat us.. we will just drop more silly points playing around in front of these sides.

Maybe he will use 3-4-1-2 which seems to be quite popular at the WC, dont need so many defenders in most games and it would allow Kent or Tillman to play behind our forwards.
Don’t necessarily agree with some of your points but you make some good arguments.

Definitely agree we need variety in our system and set up. Our biggest issue for a while has been struggling to get the first goal and on top of that an inability to kill teams off with the 2nd or 3rd goal. Chance creation and conversion has been shite for ages with the exception of Colak

In that scenario the players need to use their imagination to create something. The management team can give them a shape and some instructions but they’re the ones that ultimately need to take responsibility for creating chances and scoring goals.

We were at our best against the 10 man defence when Alfie, Roofe, Kent and Hagi were all fit and available
Hopefully he can find a system that can include all of our main attacking options.

Back