After Progres Should The Board Have Had A Potential Shortlist Drawn Up?

Warrers

I think they should have. Because at the end of the day thats how every successful business is run. Back up plans in place. Honestly what the %^*& is going on?

They should have had a shortlist in mind even just after they appointed Pedro - Robertson did after all bang on about some ‘database of managers’ in his interview the day Pedro was announced. The 5-1 drubbing and Progres Niederkorn should have accelerated this process.

Quite clearly they haven’t and that is a dereliction of duty. They’ve given up on the season already and they better hope they do get this next manager spot on or else Mark Allen is finished as will those who appointed him.

Yes of course.

Succession planning is a cornerstone of good management.

And the result in Luxembourg was a clear indicator of failure.....

Of course they should. The writing was in the wall for Pedro for a long time and to have just gave up on the season after sacking by him is a disgrace to be honest.

After the Progress result there were plenty of posters on here saying that Pedro would be gone before Xmas, I thought at the time it was to soon myself, but I was wrong.

If the board had hit us with McInness four weeks ago everyone would have accepted it and have been happy as we all said it was probably the best we could do considering the circumstances.
After 4 weeks if they hit us with McInnes everyone will be up in arms, I really hope they've got something up their sleeve for the sake of our club.

Last edited:
If the board had hit us with McInness four weeks ago everyone would have accepted it and have been happy as everyone said it was probably the best we could do considering the circumstances.
After 4 weeks if they hit us with McInnes everyone will be up in arms, I really hope they've got something up their sleeve for the sake of our club.
Yeah same but I worry.

To me at a minimum a competent football club should always have at least a working knowledge of who is ‘on the market’ as far as potential managers go.

Doesn’t need to take the form of a ‘shortlist’ but should be there in the background in case something happens that the club needs to mobilise quickly and find a replacement.

It is readily apparent we didn’t and don’t do this.

Football changes continually. Who would have been on that shortlist beyond McInnes...?
I think every club does it though. Surely after Progres there was a high chance we would be after a new manager. Surely to %^*& we should have been sounding people out!?

I think every club does it though. Surely after Progres there was a high chance we would be after a new manager. Surely to %^*& we should have been sounding people out!?

Given we'd reviewed the position only 3 months earlier and come to the conclusion Pedro was the most appropriate appointment, who would be "sounding out"?

It seems like these are things that are easy to say but are difficult to actually have in place.

Put it this way as a supporter I was already thinking of someone that could replace him. If they didn’t then they are completely inept in their role.

It’s a Football Club Board’s job to succession plan - doesn’t matter if their manager or coach is in the job 5 days or 5 years.

4 weeks of pratting around is doing nobody any favours.

I say this knowing we have proper busen
Given we'd reviewed the position only 3 months earlier and come to the conclusion Pedro was the most appropriate appointment, who would be "sounding out"?

It seems like these are things that are easy to say but are difficult to actually have in place.
Aye but surely a switched on board would be prepared for this? If we were judging any other team we would say their cards were marked after such a poor result.

They sacked Warburton, but had no replacement in mind. They sacked Pedro, ditto.
The bheasts have a major shareholder who takes control at certain times (he appointed O'Neill, Strachan and Brenda). He allowed Liewell to pick Mowbray, Lennon and Deila and accepted they were wrong. Strong leadership, something we lack.

Did you say so at the time?
I don't see your point. Our board are very successful people and in my experience they are so partly because of an ability to plan for most outcomes.

As history has now proven, they totally failed to use this strategy at Ibrox and should be heavily criticized for it .

I said exactly this on a previous thread.

Alarm bells should have been ringing like mad.

We had also been handed our worst Ibrox Old firm defeat and given the sheep their first win at Ibrox in around 25 years.

Whether the should or shouldn’t is kind of a moot point for me. When a football club sack a manager mid season it is always in order to improve results and turn round fortunes. Our Board have been entirely negligent in that endeavour and an entirely salvageable season is now completely fecked!

Now perhaps they have something up their sleeve but come next Sunday we could easily be 12 points off 2nd place and 15 points off the top, with them having a game in hand.

Yet some posters still seem to think the Board are above criticism!?!

Given how short the Pedro era was we should have just been able to revisit the shortlist from when he was appointed.

He never got going, the contingency plan should have been in place from day 1.

Its now november. Other managers situations will be entirely different than June.

Who is available. Who is willing to come. Who can we afford to buy out.

Doesnt leave us many options that would be deemed acceptable.

Definitely. After the Progress debacle , Pedro was a dead man walking.
Any well run company/ business etc will Always have a succession plan in place .
Here lies the problem.

They should have had a shortlist in mind even just after they appointed Pedro - Robertson did after all bang on about some ‘database of managers’ in his interview the day Pedro was announced. The 5-1 drubbing and Progres Niederkorn should have accelerated this process.

Quite clearly they haven’t and that is a dereliction of duty. They’ve given up on the season already and they better hope they do get this next manager spot on or else Mark Allen is finished as will those who appointed him.
I am not a fan of a DoF model and would not be surprise to see it fail.

There is the possibility of course that this database (I can’t help imagining an abacus with little photographs of managers stuck to it) actually only comprised McInnes, McLeish, Davies, Wright, etc.

I am not a fan of a DoF model and would not be surprise to see it fail.
As I posted on another thread, my big concern is that Allen will be looking for some ‘yes’ man coach. I don’t see any manager of any pedigree willing to report to a DoF who’s barely in the door himself and who’s never actually been a DoF.

Possibly but I don’t know how it would look to potential managers if we’re actively working on replacements behind the current incumbents’ back.

We should always have a short list of managers. Southampton operate this way and it's proved very effective at keeping them performing well.

Lots of people said so: H&H pod, me, lots of other posters, my Dad. Who really believed he'd see Jan 1St as manager? I can't believe board seem so shocked by events.

Possibly but I don’t know how it would look to potential managers if we’re actively working on replacements behind the current incumbents’ back.

This is the whole idea of progression planning though - a database of managers and coaches that look a good fit for our business model. Someone leaves or gets the boot, no problem - fire up the database and work through the list until you have a match.

This is what Robertson told us in March we were doing now, yet here we are, into the 5th week after giving Pedro the heave ho and still not a manager or coach in sight.

Because the board don't tell us anything we have no idea what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes. If we haven't had an answer before the AGM, then they better well have one for us at it.

Did you say so at the time?
Is that relevant? Furthermore, what difference would it make if he'd expressed it at the time?

The supporter is entitled to expect high standards of leadership and management from the board without having to lay out a strategy of precisely they think it should be done. We're entitled to count on the expertise of people who have accepted the roles. The average supporter has no idea how to run a club, a business, or manage a football team - it doesn't mean he can't differentiate between good and bad management in any of those fields.

For what it's worth, I've always been of the opinion that a shortlist of attainable, qualified managers should be drawn up regardless of how we're playing. Your manager could be poached by another club, sacked, fall ill etc. It's negligent not to be prepared.

It should have been written in to his contract that if he didn’t get past the 1st 2 rounds in Europe he would be sacked

Pedro should never have got near Ibrox in the first place, but he should definitely have been gone after the Progres game. Our Board has got many things right since they came into control but their decisions regarding the management of the football side during the past year have been poor.

I think it's a bit of a perfect storm of shite tbh. Not a lot of managers of the calibre we need looking for jobs, not a lot of money to buy out others, plus a divided dressing room half of which are utter gash which might put a few managers off.

it should have been done after the 5-1 game when it was becoming obvious he didnt have a clue

Back