AGM today

Of course the question wasn't put forward in good faith, but Club 1872 gave warning last week that "five year plan" would be part of their rhetoric.

Frankly, given that warning, Douglas Park should have had a far, far better answer prepared than the one he gave. His flippant, insubstantial answer handed them another bullet to fire at him.
Or you could say act with disdain and you will receive it in multiples!

Our STs are already at what Id consider a high price.

Broomloan/Copland front and Govan east corner you could maybe make an argument should be around £30/40 more expensive but that’s at an absolute push

They’re currently £26.8 per game in those sections, £24.11 per game if you take away both Celtic games which are £50 each.
Like many other I'm sure I'm )5+

I think he is trying to protect his manager and at the same time deflect from himself.

He'll be finding players and recommending them with a heavy dose of influence, he's director of football ffs. The manager might feel obligated to agree to some and Wilson can be safe in the knowledge he said 'its pure your decision but'

For example, don't tell me GvB scouted, hunted and recruited that utter dud Matondo.
I think you maybe partly correct, any manager who feels obligated to agree is a weak manager, i very much doubt Ross Wilson scouted the duds, thats why he has a scouting department.

Is it true that Bennet got a loan repaid early and charged 14% for the privilege?
Surely if you have an emotional tie to a business/club you don't rip it with the interest/fee rates, if contracted rate is 6% you don't rip it with an early redemption fee of 14% when you claim to have an emotional tie, you, well I would, take a nominal sum to cover admin if I was getting my money back as quickly as he did.
Questions that should have been asked at AGM imho.

Is anyone actually satisfied with the AGM, the questions and quality thereof, the answers and satisfied the immediate future will be fruitful?

Reading some of the thread and going by what a mate who was present, it seems a bit shit and certain members of the board or paid execs just proved they aren't best in class.
A major problem for me is that none of them are held to account for the fc--uk ups.

Not Australia.

Not Elite/Hummel - and yes I do take on board this organisation might be having its last stand. However, our board did knowingly sign a contract with them knowing full well, we were still in Ashley's financial headlock.

Not the Sportemon Go fiasco. What next, a retro top sponsored by Spangles?

Whether people like to admit it or not. Gio failed us to the extent the filth have all but won this title, which equates to two automatic CL windfalls for them. They're guaranteed money for next season which means they can budget accordingly, while we'll still be scouring for bargain basements, loans and Bosmans.

And how do the people who brought Gio to the club get rewarded? We are to believe they still picked Michael Beale, with no managerial CV whatsoever worth talking about, out of a field of excellent managers following a week of 'intense negotiations.'

Let's look at the board's overall record in terms of managerial recruitment since March 2015.

Warburton - Failure.

Pedro - There are simply no words can describe how this man was even thought of, never mind the selection process, which saw him pass with flying colours. - Failure.

It is a commonly held notion and widely accepted that Gerrard was King's project. He was the main instigator and guiding force in him coming to Ibrox.

So, back to the board.

Gio - Failure.

It's not a record that warms the cockles is it?

Or you could say act with disdain and you will receive it in multiples!
Which is fine, and understandable, except that the C1872 board weren’t the whole audience. Those who were there to respectfully and constructively engage with the PLC deserved a more considered response IMO.

Is it true that Bennet got a loan repaid early and charged 14% for the privilege?
Surely if you have an emotional tie to a business/club you don't rip it with the interest/fee rates, if contracted rate is 6% you don't rip it with an early redemption fee of 14% when you claim to have an emotional tie, you, well I would, take a nominal sum to cover admin if I was getting my money back as quickly as he did.
Questions that should have been asked at AGM imho.
Early repayment clauses don’t work like that. There is normally either a fixed fee or a set percentage, but paying early always results in a reduced payment, not increased, due to the removal of interest over the period the loan is no longer being repaid for. There would be no point in paying a loan off early if it was not to reduce the total payable amount.

I would guess that is absolute nonsense.

In large gatherings like our AGM with limited time for questions it isnt appropriate to ask a question with little relevance to the majority. Its selfish and stops others from getting answers to more important issues.

Completely agree, which is why the point an earlier poster made regarding all shareholders getting to submit questions electronically and then everyone votes on what question they want answered and then the most popular questions getting asked. Shouldn’t be too much of a hassle to organise, but it would mean the board facing some very tough questions when they were all likely pleasantly surprised with how easy a ride they got yesterday.

As pointed out, the AGM of a business is not the place to make queries about low-level customer service complaints. If you were a McDonalds shareholder you wouldn't ask their board why they didn't give you napkins at the drive thru. It is no different for Rangers. Trivial pish which should be dealt with by the relevant departments outside of an AGM clouds the issues pertinent to the success of the business which ARE more deserving of discussion in that particular forum.

You’re right about the AGM not being the place for CS enquiries but the demographic of our shareholders isn’t akin to that of McDonald’s - or pretty much any other organisation. Shareholders in Rangers have made an emotional investment, not a sound financial one they expect any return on therefore questions like the ones yesterday are going to inevitably arise. I’m pretty sure those asking the questions that folk are complaining about aren’t on social media or FF so the AGM is their place to raise their grievances.

Having watched it back I didn't think it was any different to any other AGM there has been in the past. Yeah some surprising omissions from questions like the Sydney tournament but with that being with lawyers we wouldn't have got any answer anyway.
Think a question like "Who from our board planned and agreed to an Australian friendly with a disgusting football club we share the city with. And the proper backlash from our support, put an end to it. Will the board member who booked us onto this debacle, be removed from post as obviously unfit for the role"?
Nothing affecting outside litigation amongst that, and gets the point across to the board.

If they hadn’t have put their own money in to cover the covid loses we wouldn’t have a team at all. I think people just expect things to be like the first 10 years of the Murray era where we didn’t give a %^*& about how much debt we we’re getting in as long as an king or a joe Lewis pumped millions in to us everything will be ok.

We need to start realising that we can’t just spend millions we don’t have and that we need to start trading within our means even if it means we don’t win the league for a few years.
So why have they allowed the first team wage bill to rise by 64%? Rewarding mediocrity

I think you're reading a bit too much into Park's comment to John Bennett. He said he was lost because the questioner, confusingly and perhaps suddenly, ended the conversation at that point by saying that "there were other people here waiting to ask a question", as if he had a contingent with him, who had supplementary questions, rather than him meaning that he was finished with his line of questioning. It was a bit confusing at the time, and having watched the video back, this reaffirms it in my mind.
I’m not reading much into it other than I don't want the Chairman saying into the Mic that he’s lost during questioning. Especially when Bennett was dealing with the question no problem.

I can't get my head round people thinking Ross Wilson identifies all these players, does the negotiations, manages the contracts etc himself

It's utterly mental.
Does anyone think this?

Ultimately he oversees recruitment and our recruitment record is piss poor so unfortunately he is the fall guy.

Gio wasn’t the guy who couldn’t beat his man for 6 month or who was over weight sulking through games, or who wouldn’t come for crosses in his 6 yard box but he pays the price for overseeing it.

Early repayment clauses don’t work like that. There is normally either a fixed fee or a set percentage, but paying early always results in a reduced payment, not increased, due to the removal of interest over the period the loan is no longer being repaid for. There would be no point in paying a loan off early if it was not to reduce the total payable amount.

I would guess that is absolute nonsense.
Yes I agree if loaned by a bank.
Now read my comment again, I clearly make the distinction that he is supposed to have an emotional tie.
As someone who has ran businesses for over 20 years, you give preferential treatment re rates etc. That clearly hasn't happened here.
That's is of course assuming it is Bennet's own personal funds that has been used.

Don't guess, just makes a fool out of you and I.

Yes I agree if loaned by a bank.
Now read my comment again, I clearly make the distinction that he is supposed to have an emotional tie.
As someone who has ran businesses for over 20 years, you give preferential treatment re rates etc. That clearly hasn't happened here.
That's is of course assuming it is Bennet's own personal funds that has been used.

Don't guess, just makes a fool out of you and I.
I have read your comment again. It contains absolutely nothing I terms of evidence or fact and when you look at the content, makes no sense.

6% is a preferential rate, particularly when we know that King was forced to loan the club money at 8%. You have alleged that Bennet has charged 14% as a result of an early repayment. If this is correct and the 14% equals a significant discount on the total cost of the original loan over the original loan term, then the figure 14% is a red herring. If you are stating that the 14% represents an overall increase in the value of the repayment, you would be mistaken.

If the thrust of your point is actually that directors should be loaning the club money at preferential rates, you will be delighted to know that the Bennet loan, with or without the 14%, is a preferential rate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with individuals seeing a bit of a return on loaning the club money. At all.

I say all that as someone who is vocally opposed to the current board. We all dream of a rich benefactor willing to gift the club millions but in the real world, people lending us required cash in order to operate, at a sensible rate, is as good as we should ever expect. It is fucking easy to spend other folk’s cash.

Oh, and it is assuming that makes a fool of folk. Guessing in the absence of fact is pretty much all we can do…

In the last 5 years

Financially stable
Squad value much higher
Merchandising much better (despite the legacy issues)
Stadium improvements made
Edmiston House project
Stopped the tainted 10
European successes
Cup drought ended

Yet some people want a new board

Fucking ridiculous.

Really?

- Financially stable? A company that needs to be bailed out via director loans is not financially stable. In the past 5 years the directors have had to agree to underwrite £7.5million to see us through to the end of a season. That's not financial stability.
- Squad value? The club's 2 biggest assets are about to walk away for free. The 3rd biggest asset has downed tools and is worth a fraction of what he was worth 18 months ago.
- Merchandising - the countless issues fans have with Castore will tell you that things aren't better. Castore is not a legacy issue.
- Stadium improvements? Debatable whether or not the stadium has been upgraded. New disabled supporter facilities will be very welcome.
- Edmiston House - lets wait until it's opened before we judge it a success or failure.
- Tainted 10 - Celtic imploded. It's an outlier compared to our performances in every other season.
- European successes - we made a European final. It was very welcome as a distraction to our league form and brought in a tidy profit. But in this same 5 year period we saw some European humiliations.
- Cup drought ended. How many cups have we won over the 5 years?

If we're looking at the past 5 years then it's been a reasonable job following the spiv years, but its far from being a glowing endorsement of the performance of the board.

Really?

- Financially stable? A company that needs to be bailed out via director loans is not financially stable. In the past 5 years the directors have had to agree to underwrite £7.5million to see us through to the end of a season. That's not financial stability.
- Squad value? The club's 2 biggest assets are about to walk away for free. The 3rd biggest asset has downed tools and is worth a fraction of what he was worth 18 months ago.
- Merchandising - the countless issues fans have with Castore will tell you that things aren't better. Castore is not a legacy issue.
- Stadium improvements? Debatable whether or not the stadium has been upgraded. New disabled supporter facilities will be very welcome.
- Edmiston House - lets wait until it's opened before we judge it a success or failure.
- Tainted 10 - Celtic imploded. It's an outlier compared to our performances in every other season.
- European successes - we made a European final. It was very welcome as a distraction to our league form and brought in a tidy profit. But in this same 5 year period we saw some European humiliations.

If we're looking at the past 5 years then it's been a reasonable job following the spiv years, but its far from being a glowing endorsement of the performance of the board.
Spot on, and that's before you even kick a ball with MyGers, the Sydney friendly and now more court cases.

Really?

If you can't see progress on every one of those fronts then I really don't know what to say.

The irony is that by asking about a "5 year plan" would suggest improvements over those 5 years.

Maybe he should have been asked what was his 1 week plan

You’re right about the AGM not being the place for CS enquiries but the demographic of our shareholders isn’t akin to that of McDonald’s - or pretty much any other organisation. Shareholders in Rangers have made an emotional investment, not a sound financial one they expect any return on therefore questions like the ones yesterday are going to inevitably arise. I’m pretty sure those asking the questions that folk are complaining about aren’t on social media or FF so the AGM is their place to raise their grievances.

Its not the right place to raise individual grievances. There were around 2,000 shareholders in attendance with limited time to ask questions. Its not appropriate for individuals to ask specific questions that relate to them only. Questions should be relevant to the majority otherwise its a waste of time attending.

Its not the right place to raise individual grievances. There were around 2,000 shareholders in attendance with limited time to ask questions. Its not appropriate for individuals to ask specific questions that relate to them only. Questions should be relevant to the majority otherwise its a waste of time attending.
I said as much in the first line of my post but it’s not as simple as that at Rangers.

The poster I responded to compared us with McDonalds. The shareholder demographic for them is wildly different to ours.

If you can't see progress on every one of those fronts then I really don't know what to say.

The irony is that by asking about a "5 year plan" would suggest improvements over those 5 years.

Maybe he should have been asked what was his 1 week plan

Small progress in some areas from a disastrous starting position isnt exactly progress worth celebrating.

That we needed directors to basically underwrite our club to see out the end of a season drives a huge hole through your argument.

I said as much in the first line of my post but it’s not as simple with that at Rangers.

The poster I responded to compared us with McDonalds. The shareholder demographic for them is wildly different to ours.

I agree with your point about our demographic as compared to a McDonalds AGM. What I dont agree with is that individual shareholders at our AGM should use it to air individual grievances during question time.

I agree with your point about our demographic as compared to a McDonalds AGM. What I dont agree with is that individual shareholders at our AGM should use it to air individual grievances during question time.

Where should they be raised? I suspect the guys raising these questions aren’t skilled in social media and our club & board aren’t exactly elite when it comes to communication. Maybe if we were better at that these fellas wouldn’t need to raise these questions in that type of forum.

Where should they be raised? I suspect the guys raising these questions aren’t skilled in social media and our club & board aren’t exactly elite when it comes to communication. Maybe if we were better at that these fellas wouldn’t need to raise these questions in that type of forum.

There is no way to raise individual concerns unless you do as I did many years ago. I wrote directly to SDM and got invited to a meeting with Sandy Jardine and Carol Paton. I dont think this would happen today but a letter may get a written response. Incidentally the meeting was not fruitful. Im being polite.

I had hoped our 'new' SLO would be the person to contact but this would depend on whether he agreed with your point or not. A bit like my experience from years ago.

My point still stands though. Our AGM is not the forum to raise individual grievances.

Might rub people up the wrong way but really hope Roofe and Helander especially move on in the summer if we can get them out on loan or a mutual termination if there contracts are not run out. Really bugs me we have so many injury prone players. Feels like Helanders just always injured. If Ross Wilson wanted to sign a Scottish player for the UEFA rules then why not sign someone that was on decent form like Lewis Ferguson last year when he was wanting to leave Aberdeen the boy from what I believe is being scouted by Juventus now at Bologna and playing well in Serie A. John Soutar just is not realiable enough and we need to sign players who are not going to be injured all the bloody time lol.

I think the board after the AGM must have been buzzing they certainly got away with a few questions I would have loved to ask.

Who signed off on the Sydney cup and what's going on with the Hummel case also.

There is no way to raise individual concerns unless you do as I did many years ago. I wrote directly to SDM and got invited to a meeting with Sandy Jardine and Carol Paton. I dont think this would happen today but a letter may get a written response. Incidentally the meeting was not fruitful. Im being polite.

I had hoped our 'new' SLO would be the person to contact but this would depend on whether he agreed with your point or not. A bit like my experience from years ago.

My point still stands though. Our AGM is not the forum to raise individual grievances.
This is an exceptionally complex and difficult thing to get right to be honest.

Individual concerns are very often actually reflective of more generalised issues and alot of the problem comes from the lack of the right communication skills on the part of the person asking the question. That's not a dig, not everyone is going to be great at articulating a point in a forum like that.

Then there is the sense of priority. Trivial matters to some are important to others and subjectivity comes in.

From the club's POV, the reality is they have a whole host of seriously big issues to cover and deal with, so that ultimately means they have no option other than to sideline or ignore a lot of queries and they have to make that judgement to upset some people quite ruthlessly or nothing would ever get done.

The lack of any really good or valuable customer service set-up will always be a problem and , no disresepct to him, but the SLO has always felt like a tokenism to throw out and be a human shield who is fighting a losing battle trying to handle an onslaught of complaints, knowing full well the majority of them will go nowhere.

To be frank, I thought Club1872's 5 year plan question was as big a waste of the time as anything else said (other than the CoVid belter). They knew what they were doing and that it wasn't going to result in some presentation of the club's roadmap. It was entirely designed to try and make Park look silly and he didn't exaclty cover himself in glory.

The biggest issue with the AGM is that even if the perceived “right” questions were asked I’m not sure I’d believe any answers given anyway because the board have been caught bullshitting the fans one too many times.

There also seems to be a serious lack of accountability too. I mean if nothings Wilson’s fault then what the %^*& is he actually employed to do? I don’t like to have a go at guys like Park who’ve put their hand in their pocket for the club because what they’ve done for us is substantial, but at the same time I get the impression some of them don’t have plans for moving the club forward and most fans won’t be content with winning very little silverware on account of having put money into the club previously.

Don’t know why as it’s so trivial, but still pretty annoyed that the no one was willing to take any responsibly for the picture being sanctioned of our worst ever European result. Bisgrove did his usual weasely answer.

Noticed there was a lot of ignoring of questions. A “we got it wrong” would have been very much welcomed, especially with the £180 three match package question. Robertson “noted the point” the persons question and then deflected.

Zero accountability, no admittance of anything gone wrong. A joke.

Just watching AGM back at the moment.

That Alba fud Alan Harris was one of the very few that actually asked a good question :))

They’d have just said they couldn’t comment because they’re both subject to legal action. They have an answer for everything.
Really do not like Douglas Park for some reason also. Just feel its best he moves on from the club or steps down as Chairman

Just watching AGM back at the moment.

That Alba fud Alan Harris was one of the very few that actually asked a good question :))
Is that him who years ago wanted buses provided only by rangers for travel to away games?

It’s selfish as f.uck.

Really pisses me off.

“Ma grand wean canny get a ticket for Hampden, Mr Chairman”.

Honestly, shut up. Go to a fan focus group if that’s your issue. Not the clubs AGM.

Small progress in some areas from a disastrous starting position isnt exactly progress worth celebrating.

That we needed directors to basically underwrite our club to see out the end of a season drives a huge hole through your argument.
Small progress? Jesus what planet are you on

But il bite...

Achieving 55 was amazing and Celtic only "imploded" after we had built up a lead and put pressure on them. They were not used to it. We were unbeaten and had a vastly smaller budget to them

Our Europa runs are undoubtedly Over-achievements, I can't remember such a sustained period of positive European results in decades. Becoming a CL quality side is the next step to recovery. It also took time for clubs like Brugge and Salzburg to adjust to that level, they had a fair few pumping as well

The director loans are not as big or as many. Turnover is up, debt is down and be no longer have the "going concern" risk in our accounts. Player trading model starting to kick in

Squad value is still high and you have no idea if those 2 players re-sign. It's a damn sight higher than 5 years ago. We've had player sales for potentially £40m and are now at the start of our next cycle. Kamara, King, Yilmaz, Lowry will all make us a profit to name a few

Money has been spent on stadium improvements, both in upkeep and renovations per Gerrards request

The fact we are back to selling strips again that fans buy is us beginning to normalise in that area again.

We can't fix the club overnight, you should be more grateful for the job the board have done as it could be more spivs in charge with 12 in a row coming up

Until you can learn to be a bit more patient then you will drive yourself demented

All about interpretation I guess.

Personally I thought it was pretty nonsensical to ask Douglas Park for a detailed 5 year plan in a very time restricted and informal Q&A session.

Robertson said what Wilson had done behind the scenes was outstanding. Don't think he was trying to suggest every signing was a success. Perhaps going forward more detail on the behind the scenes work would be helpful, so we can all share in his appreciation!

Wilson acknowledged Bacuna hadn't worked out, the player was identified by the management team at the time as someone worth signing on a free, rubbished the figures the questioner quoted and confirmed we'd made a profit on the deal.

Sounded to me like Souttar has been brought in as a squad filler, useful when fit, but was never expected to play 60 games a season.

Other than that, I agree a number of fairly pointless questions.

That aside, it seemed to me the antagonism we see on the FF echo chamber toward Park in particular, the board in general and indeed toward Gio for that matter, is not reflected amongst the wider support, or certainly at least the shareholders amongst the wider support.
The bigger issue is why is the Q&A time restricted?

It’s the one solitary occasion where supporters/shareholders can question the board on their shortcomings over the previous financial year?

Why isn’t the room booked out all day? It’s time restricted for a reason. The board would rather not listen to the supporters.

There should be an organised fan engagement session every 3 months with the board. Not a 30 minute period during the AGM. The lack of connection is something that really grates with me. The Sydney friendly summed up that lack of connection perfectly.

The bigger issue is why is the Q&A time restricted?

It’s the one solitary occasion where supporters/shareholders can question the board on their shortcomings over the previous financial year?

Why isn’t the room booked out all day? It’s time restricted for a reason. The board would rather not listen to the supporters.

There should be an organised fan engagement session every 3 months with the board. Not a 30 minute period during the AGM. The lack of connection is something that really grates with me. The Sydney friendly summed up that lack of connection perfectly.
I'd suggest the bigger issue is how the time is used. At least half of it was taken up with nonsense. On the other hand you can't really submit questions in advance, or the board would be accused of picking and choosing those they want to answer. Don't know what the answer is, but extending the Q&A format as is to 3 hours, 4 hours or indefinitely would be a shambles. I'd also suggest a good proportion of those in attendance don't have a whole day to sit listening to it. Fitting the AGM into a morning or afternoon probably suits the majority.

Back