Airdrie Fans attacked at the Piggery

Statement from the Airdrie Supporters' Trust:

TRUST STATEMENT – 21st January 2019

Re. INCIDENT AT CELTIC PARK 19TH January 2019

Following on from Saturday’s Scottish Cup tie at Celtic Park, we wish to address the incident which occurred on the corner of London Road and Kinloch Street prior to the start of the match.

Airdrie Supporters Trust had organised six family buses to take over 300 supporters, almost a third of which were under 16s, in a convenient and safe manner to the game. Arrangements were made for these and any other supporters buses going to be parked on Springfield Road with Celtic Football Club.

On arrival at the game, the fans disembarked and walked onto London Road when they were stopped from proceeding along Kinloch Street by Police in attendance. No explanation was given for this happening. We were held here for around 15-20 minutes during which time a very unsavoury atmosphere built up with large numbers of Celtic fans passing through the area as well as those who had been drinking in a nearby pub.

There was a sudden build-up of opposition supporters on the corner of Kinloch Street who proceeded to throw glass bottles, stones, coins and various other objects at the gathered Airdrie supporters. With virtually nowhere to move to a number of Airdrie supporters were struck by these objects. Most seriously of all a 75-year-old fan was struck on the head by one of the bottles and required a lengthy spell of treatment from Paramedics. On top of those struck by the objects, a large number of the children and females in attendance were left in an extremely distressed state.
We feel that the handling of this event was very poorly managed, and left six family busloads of supporters in a very vulnerable situation. With this in mind we will be asking to discuss the matter with the members of the Airdrieonians FC board with a view to following up the incident with Celtic FC and the SFA.

Airdrie Supporters Trust

It's quite clear that, all jokes aside, Celtic Park is not a safe place to go and watch football, especially for children. And the Police have zero interest in changing this. Hopefully other clubs start calling out this shameful club in a similar manner.

That's an absolute disgrace that this happened, fucking shambolic from the Police and the Scum. Young kids with their families and the poor auld fella that got injured subjected to this disorder is not on.

I fucking hate that mob of shite with a passion.

Anyone that knows Airdrie Trust can advise that their treatment is exactly what Rangers had from 2016 onwards until we all complained and our SLO got it changed

The resultant changes then coincided with our safety being resolved but Celtic FC / Police Scotland causing a crush of their supporters.

These shouldnt be treated as directly related incidents as prior to our forced removal from football there was no license for Celtic to walk through the Rangers end and we didnt have to queue up to cross a road. There was no crushing of Celtic fans.

@Greg Marshall may be able to assist

Following on from Saturday’s Scottish Cup tie at Celtic Park, we wish to address the incident which occurred on the corner of London Road and Kinloch Street prior to the start of the match.

Airdrie Supporters Trust had organised six family buses to take over 300 supporters, almost a third of which were under 16s, in a convenient and safe manner to the game. Arrangements were made for these and any other supporters buses going to be parked on Springfield Road with Celtic Football Club.

On arrival at the game, the fans disembarked and walked onto London Road when they were stopped from proceeding along Kinloch Street by Police in attendance. No explanation was given for this happening. We were held here for around 15-20 minutes during which time a very unsavoury atmosphere built up with large numbers of Celtic fans passing through the area as well as those who had been drinking in a nearby pub.

There was a sudden build-up of opposition supporters on the corner of Kinloch Street who proceeded to throw glass bottles, stones, coins and various other objects at the gathered Airdrie supporters. With virtually nowhere to move to a number of Airdrie supporters were struck by these objects. Most seriously of all a 75-year-old fan was struck on the head by one of the bottles and required a lengthy spell of treatment from Paramedics. On top of those struck by the objects, a large number of the children and females in attendance were left in an extremely distressed state.
We feel that the handling of this event was very poorly managed, and left six family busloads of supporters in a very vulnerable situation. With this in mind we will be asking to discuss the matter with the members of the Airdrieonians FC board with a view to following up the incident with Celtic FC and the SFA.

Airdrie Supporters Trust

It's quite clear that, all jokes aside, Celtic Park is not a safe place to go and watch football, especially for children. And the Police have zero interest in changing this. Hopefully other clubs start calling out this shameful club in a similar manner.

They are fücking vermin to a man.

Reading the statement from the Airdrie trust tells me that yet again the hierarchy of Police Scotland have a hell of a lot to answer for.

They couldn't police a chimps tea party and it's long overdue they took on the scum element of Shame FC who've been out of control for a long, long, time.
They should also be targeting Shame Fc's board who've created a monster they can't control and in fact pander to.

Scotland's shame indeed.

NS.

I’m 34 you banger :))

I’ve just managed to live my life without instigating or getting involved in violence.

If that makes me the weirdo or the odd one out I’m completely comfortable with that.

I hate Celtic fans as much as anyone but I don’t want to physically harm any of them.

Their hurt and tears from losing on the pitch and being shown up is more than enough.

You never had it so good son.

Game, slippers,dinner then bed.

And a wee tuck in, there ye go noo.

I don't mean that....I mean it was at one stage very hazardous even if NOT looking for trouble, and was certainly an eye opener. It was nothing like it is now.

Definitely! My first match at the Piggery was in about 1971 or 1972. There was absolute carnage going on for hours before and after the match. The (Corporation) bus I was in leaving the ground had virtually no windows left unsmashed by the time it had reached George Square. The bricks the yahoos had chucked at the bus were picked up from the floor/seats of the bus and hurled back at them. It was totally mental, and a little bit frightening for a solo-travelling 14/15 year old bear as I was back then.

My sister was a nurse in a hospital that handled many of the casualties from these matches. She told me that they had to have a squad of hospital porters in A&E keeping both sets of fans apart. She hated Old Firm match days!

Nowadays it is pretty easy to avoid trouble if you want to. Back then, that wasn't the case. Trouble was going on all around you, and all you could do was dodge it as best you could.

Gb,smv,section b all silly little boys.Who gives a %^*& about any of these fannies.

Airdrie Supporters Trust

The problem here as far as I can see is police Scotland.
Their policing of large crowds and in particular football fans is woefully inadequate.
They seem to be light years behind their counter parts in the rest of Britain,and it's going to lead to fatalities if not addressed and corrected.
Here in Northern Ireland certain games with the potential for trouble the PSNI will be dressed in full riot gear,letting you know they mean buisness and won't be taking shit.

Last edited:
When opposing fans attend the San giro the police can't seem to make a safe enough segregation between the two sets of fans, when we beat them in December you couldn't get within 200 yards of them, bet the police would shit it if a couple of thousand bears turned up just to make the bears with tickets get in safely. (not that I am suggesting this)

Gb,smv,section b all silly little boys.Who gives a %^*& about any of these fannies.
These type of people are

The problem here as far as I can see is police Scotland.
Their policing of large crowds and in particular football fans is woefully inadequate.
They seem to be light years behind their counter parts in the rest of Britain,and it's going to lead to fatalities if not addressed and corrected.
Here in Northern Ireland certain games with the potential for trouble the PSNI will be dressed in full riot gear,letting you know they mean buisness and won't be taking shit.
Police Scotland riot squad in training....

xZW4Igx.jpg

A 75 year old bottled over the head ? The police are just as culpable as the rhat who threw the bottle. They set the whole scenario up and allowed it to happen.
As for the SFA getting involved..... their initials stand for See F*ck All.

there is NO safe passage for away fans at Celtic fans .no area or streets which are easily accessible for away fans .it's mental and someone is going to killed or murdered going there .the police have let this fester

there is NO safe passage for away fans at Celtic fans .no area or streets which are easily accessible for away fans .it's mental and someone is going to killed or murdered going there .the police have let this fester

Our SLO got us safe passage back in September 2018, as per pre 2012. Following 4 chaotic trips on our return.

Then someone creates a crush and somehow our safe passage was the reason.

What happened in the 14 years prior to 2012 where there was no issue at the new Piggery.

Something stinks and continues to be allowed to stink, by Police Scotland and Celtic FC

The videos are shocking in that the police do not arrest any of them. Supporters of any other club would be lifted on the spot. The cops hands are tied. Someone higher up is instructing them not to arrest the poets. What other explanation is there?

So if you're a Cop sergeant and you see a group of innocent people being bombarded with missiles do you
(A) Surround/Ring the victims menacingly with your Jason Truncheon's drawn Kettling them into one large mass for the Mass Dodgers to aim at with impunity.
(B) Deal with, arrest and disperse the violent fans throwing things and causing an affray/BOTP.
(C) Nothing as you are far too busy investigating the shameful Stonehaven Sandcastle Scandal from last year.

Completely agree.

Is there some kind of behind the scenes agreement that yahoo hooliganism doesn't get reported in Scotland?

Genuine question.

Because that is astonishing that those pictures haven't been headlining the 6 o'clock and 10 o'clock news. They would have been if it was us.

The same thing was asked about the Parkhead mock executions.

Just stop and think for a minute what the reaction would have been if that had been Rangers fans hanging celtic fans in effigy from the club deck, one with a celtic scarf the other wearing a giant cross.

Back