Airdrie Sign Thomas Robert

ArfieldGer

The Diamonds have landed a sensational transfer coup by securing the signature of French midfielder Thomas Robert amid interest from top-flight clubs around Europe.

The 19-year-old can play on either wing or behind the strikers, and joins Airdrie from Montpellier - the club where his father, Newcastle United and France legend Laurent Robert, began his stellar career.

The French side were keen to keep Robert, but the player rejected the offer of a four-year deal, instead seeking guaranteed first-team action. Offers from Ligue 1 and Bundesliga clubs followed, but Thomas has chosen to follow in his father’s footsteps with a move to the United Kingdom and we are delighted that he has rejected interest from high-profile suitors in the Scottish Premiership and English Premier League to begin his time on these shores at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Thomas told airdriefc.com: “I’m very happy to sign for Airdrie, it’s a club with a good structure and a good stadium.

“I think this is a good opportunity for me to come to the UK and play first-team football.

“When I met with the people at the club I got a good feeling from them - and for this reason I think it will be a good platform for me to come and show my abilities in a competitive league.

“I can’t wait to get started!”

And Director of Football Stuart Millar said: “We are delighted to acquire the services of such a talented young player. Thomas could have joined any club in Europe but showed a desire to continue his football education at Airdrieonians as part of his longer-term plan of joining a top club in the UK - a decision we are naturally thrilled about.

“Thomas will excite our fans with his pace and dribbling ability, although we must allow him time to settle in a new country.

“We are very grateful to his representatives for entrusting our club with such a gifted young player.”

Needless to say, everyone at the club is excited at the prospect of seeing Thomas wearing the Diamond, and we are delighted to welcome him to the club. Bienvenue à les Diamants, Thomas!

He obviously knows he'll get game time at Airdrie and would ultimately look to move into England at some point.

It might not be a bad move for him.

If wullie mckay is involved it will probably be something dodgy where him and player pocket the fee when he moves on.

Fat 19th Century Terrorist %^*& must be due a heart attack

Good move for him as he will shine with Airdrie as there are no other players there anywhere near him in skills. Watch for a move to the scumhut or ourselves in January once the Scottish media start falling over themselves to bray out his name.

Amazing coup for Airdrie -
Really struggling to think why he sees them as a good move - & can only think they're the only ones that have guaranteed him a 1st team start (barring injury)
Best of luck to him anyway- & I'll be interested to see how he gets on

I know Harry Redknapp was linked taken over Airdrie but was classed as a load of crap. But this reminds me of a signing from the Stevie Archibald era. And if that’s the calibre their signing they will walk that league.

They literally mothballed their youth team and academy 1 hour before signing him. If they have spent a lot the kids and their parents will go ballistic.
My mate was there number 2/3 GK (20 Y/O). Seems he’s been released also, mixture of they couldn’t offer him a proper contract in current climate and he wanted more game time. So he says...

What are Airdrie paying a week? Maybe £100?

Maybe he’s got a uni course to study for, and doing this part time.

Gone to a team that won’t start playing until mid October.

I’m going to guess at this moment in his career he’s not very good.

He obviously knows he'll get game time at Airdrie and would ultimately look to move into England at some point.

It might not be a bad move for him.
Not enough teams in Scotland make these sort of signings....ie throw money at a youngster like him then turn a profit a year later by selling good on them.

Or Peter paid for him for there vote to end league

Honestly never heard of the guy, is he any good? Wonder if he is using it for first team football in Scotland, in the hope that one of the big two snap him up then he gets his move to the EPL. Great result for Airdrie though, given what I have read about him.

Sounds fishy, although there may well be other reasons behind it that we don’t know about. McKay has had a few links with French players over the years, a few certainly came to us via him over the years, seems to be a market he knows well.

You never know though. Novo went to Raith, then onto Dundee, then onto us. Also, Tony Andreu was at Livi, then Hamilton, then got a good contract at Norwich. So there is a pathway for foreign players to come through at a smaller club, then get a real step up within a few years.

I would say fair play to the lad, he wants to play football and has been brave enough to try a foreign league at a young age.
Hope he succeeds.

He will be somewhere else within a very short space of time, probably the January transfer window, and it is highly likely that the boy and the crook who represents him will pocket about 90% of the money.
It’s even possible that he will move somewhere else without kicking a ball in Scotland.

Back