Ajax v Real Madrid

Absolutely nothing wrong with that goal. Terrible terrible decision.

Come on Ajax. Intae them

So much for VAR only being used when it’s clear and obvious. The fact they took 3 minutes to make the decision says it all. Complete bullshit.

They then only add on 2 minutes of injury time...

The impartial punditry of Owen and McManaman ex of Real Madrid.

What a shock. They think it shouldn’t be a goal.

Pish. Utter pish

This is what everyone wanted wasn't it?

Offside decided to the last millimetre by frame by frame dissection of the footage

Why are folk getting annoyed now?

Even the pundits.

The box is open and there's no putting it back now.

If VAR stops an offside goal from being awarded then it has done its job.

It’s not the intended purpose. It’s being used inconsistently. That’s a massive issue. It’s not a level playing field if referees pick and choose when they can use it.

Real Madrid to cheat there way to yet another champions league? I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if they won it again with a shit load of dubious decisions along the way.

Courtois makes an arse of it. Over protected and should have let the goal stand. No other player on the park gets that level of license to muck about.

So much for VAR only being used when it’s clear and obvious. The fact they took 3 minutes to make the decision says it all. Complete bullshit.

Yes. Although I am a fan of VAR, the clock has to stop.

The impartial punditry of Owen and McManaman ex of Real Madrid.

What a shock. They think it shouldn’t be a goal.

Pish. Utter pish

The same Michael Owen who was bouncing around the studio when Barca scored the sixth v PSG.

He barely has a recollection of playing for Real. Cannot stand him.

It’s not the intended purpose. It’s being used inconsistently. That’s a massive issue. It’s not a level playing field if referees pick and choose when they can use it.

My understanding is that the VAR "team" work behind the scenes "checking all goals, incidents in the penalty box, red cards and cases of mistaken identity" and relay their findings to the referee if his decision differs from theirs. The ref doesn't get to pick and choose when he uses it, although his decision upon seeing the footage is final.

This. If you can take one look and it's so obvious that the ref / linesman has made a cock of it that you can overturn it in seconds, then fair enough. Anything else will kill the game as a spectator sport. If you lose that spontaneous eruption when you score, the game is done.

My understanding is that the VAR "team" work behind the scenes "checking all goals, incidents in the penalty box, red cards and cases of mistaken identity" and relay their findings to the referee if his decision differs from theirs. The ref doesn't get to pick and choose when he uses it, although his decision upon seeing the footage is final.
The VAR team dont make a decision. They highlight incidents for the ref to have a look at and the ref decides what happens from there

The team looks at stuff, but they can recommend to the referee to take a look when it’s a clear and obvious error.

In this instance, it wasn’t clear and obvious, so shouldn’t have been used, regardless of whether it was the correct decision. I can guarantee within the next few weeks, there’ll be a decision ignored that should have gone to VAR. Its the inconsistency that bursts my head, happens all the time in countries that use VAR.

You should watch the Aussie A League and MLS. Perfect examples of VAR being an absolute farce and used whenever they feel like it.

Thought VAR was going to roll in and save football from biased decisions?

It’s a fucking nonsense system and should be halted until it’s improved. The fact every competition using it can make their own rules about what it’s for is a joke.

The team looks at stuff, but they can recommend to the referee to take a look when it’s a clear and obvious error.

In this instance, it wasn’t clear and obvious, so shouldn’t have been used, regardless of whether it was the correct decision. I can guarantee within the next few weeks, there’ll be a decision ignored that should have gone to VAR. Its the inconsistency that bursts my head, happens all the time in countries that use VAR.

I haven't seen the term clear and obvious being mentioned in relation to its use but the fact is the team seen it and called it differently from the ref, they were right, the ref was wrong and after seeing the footage the ref agreed.

This is what everyone wanted wasn't it?

Offside decided to the last millimetre by frame by frame dissection of the footage

Why are folk getting annoyed now?

Even the pundits.

The box is open and there's no putting it back now.
People that are out of touch with the fans want it IMO. Such as managers and players. It can be a safety net to catch players and managers if they make a lady's front bottom of something, like Courtois here for instance.

I haven't seen the term clear and obvious being mentioned in relation to its use but the fact is the team seen it and called it differently from the ref, they were right, the ref was wrong and after seeing the footage the ref agreed.

Which is fine, if applied consistently, but it won’t be. The World Cup was another example of it being used as and when they felt like it. The group stages it was used once a game, the knockouts it was barely used and incorrect decisions were missed.

We either utilise it properly, or we don’t. This in between just makes it an uneven playing field.

Clear and obvious error is the exact wording FIFA use in their VAR guide.

Back