Ajax Want Season Null and Void

Orangeandblue

The article from Skysports quotes the Marc Overmars but the Dutch media
are reporting Overmars, Erik ten Hag and the rest of the club.

Zowel trainer Erik ten Hag als directeur voetbalzaken Marc Overmars is van mening dat de KNVB moet besluiten om niet meer verder te spelen. Dat geldt ook voor de rest van de club, waardoor de Amsterdammers hun standpunt hebben bepaald.

Both trainer Erik ten Hag and director of football affairs Marc Overmars are of the opinion that the KNVB should decide not to continue playing. This also applies to the rest of the club, so the Amsterdammers have determined their position.

Last edited:
Calls out UEFA for the sham organization that it is. Another team, who are placed to win their league, showing class and default human extinct in these unprecedented times, and having their priorities in order.
If it's good enough for the true Kings of Europe, then it's good enough for me. And it SHOULD, be good enough for the gutter rhats that infest and run our game. We will see.

The sky article doesn’t mention Overmars wanting the league declared null and void, just that he wants it declared finished.

The articles is the Dutch media say "put a line through the season". That can only mean one thing.
Skysports have their own agenda.

OVERMARS WANTS TO STOP After clubs like ADO Den Haag, Fortuna Sittard and PEC Zwolle, Ajax has also expressed itself against UEFA's plan to play the league in the summer months. The frontrunner believes that this season should be put an end to.

Last edited:
Overmars, with Ajax ahead albeit on goal difference, stated "The league is dead, life is more important."
Doesn't say null and void but clearly not interested in finishing the season or claiming a title that hasn't been won.
That's my take on it but it's conceivable that things may have been lost in translation.

Watched some of the Dutch news this morning here in the Dam' and Overmars didn't miss anyone with his comments.

The players and staff are not focused on football... they are focused on health and wellbeing of their family, friends, and health workers and rest of the nation. It will take a while before footballers are ready to get back to training and start playing again and will only happen when they are sure this is over.

Competing self interest will continue to drive the individual leagues. It’s up to uefa to provide some strong leadership unfortunately that ain’t happening.

Ajax and Juventus showing the way. there cn be no completion of the season. This isn't even at its peak yet, probably another two weeks away from that. If it takes as long to come down the hill as it took to go up the hill we are looking at the end of June into July at the earliest.

That is into the next season. It is completely daft to think we can do anything else other than move towards the next season.

Imagine the outcry if we were say 10 points ahead of the mentally challengeds and were putting the same pressure on they are to be declared winners.

Would have all the usual suspects saying stopping 9 in a row is more important to Rangers than lives etc.

Media in this country is beyond poison.
If Celtic don't get awarded this title then that's exactly how they will spin this with the assistance of their friends in the media.
It will be portrayed that they wanted to win it on the pitch, however, due to the world wide pandemic that wasn't possible as the league had to be cancelled. They will point out (aided by all the quotes in the media since the close down) that most people considered that they had done enough to be awarded the title but "stopping 9 was more important to Rangers than life itself" and that's why the title was not awarded.
You can read them like a book - not a very pleasant book but an incredibly predictable one.

Imagine the outcry if we were say 10 points ahead of the mentally challengeds and were putting the same pressure on they are to be declared winners.

Would have all the usual suspects saying stopping 9 in a row is more important to Rangers than lives etc.

When we where doing 9 in a row we were constantly told it was bad for Scottish football, the same people rounded on us and gloated on our demise yet at no point have they ever questioned Celtics dominance in this period which without doubt is bad for Scottish football. They also have no opinion either on the only Club in the World wanting to be made Champions of their League at this time when football doesn't really matter. What is UEFAs deal anyway are they scared if the leagues are all void there might be no CL next season if that's the case so be it, Celtic and UEFA really are from the same mould all about self interest.

Last edited:
If Celtic don't get awarded this title then that's exactly how they will spin this with the assistance of their friends in the media.
It will be portrayed that they wanted to win it on the pitch, however, due to the world wide pandemic that wasn't possible as the league had to be cancelled. They will point out (aided by all the quotes in the media since the close down) that most people considered that they had done enough to be awarded the title but "stopping 9 was more important to Rangers than life itself" and that's why the title was not awarded.
You can read them like a book - not a very pleasant book but an incredibly predictable one.

It really is unbelievable the bias shown towards us.

The media in the country are total poison, the dehumanising of anything Rangers/Protestant is off the scale now.

They will go after us big time if the mentally challengeds don't get awarded the league

When we where doing 9 in a row we were constantly told it was bad for Scottish football, the same people rounded on us and gloated on our demise yet at no point have they ever questioned Celtics dominance in this period which without doubt is bad for Scottish football. They also have no opinion on which either on the only Club in the World wanting to be made Champions of their League at this time when football doesn't really matter. What is UEFAs deal anyway are they scared if the leagues are all void there might be no CL next season if that's the case so be it, Celtic and UEFA really are from the same mould all about self interest.

The favorite go to line was Rangers/Scotland need a strong Celtic blah blah

Time has proven we don't need them or want them a total stain on society in West of Scotland.

The sooner folk on here realise that this isn't going to happen, the sooner we can start to focus on improving our run for when it does resume - because it will.

I know all of the arguments against it, I know what is going on, I know the timescales involved here, but I'm also a realist.

There is ONE QUARTER OF A BILLION POUNDS being spoken of in England if the season is declared null and void, meaning that a good few down there, never mind here, would go to the wall.

We are already seeing players refusing to accept pay cuts or deferrals, the wage figures down south mean that clubs cannot afford it, pure and simple. 4 and 500k is being shelled out down there. Multiply an average of 200k per week by 30 players and then a share of 3/4 billion pounds to pony up on? That's why they need to see it out and get the tv money flowing again, hence the closed doors even being acceptable to many of them.

Don't shoot the messenger, don't misinterpret me as being an advocate for it happening, but do please accept that we are going to fall into line with England, and England ain't going there......

It really is unbelievable the bias shown towards us.

The media in the country are total poison, the dehumanising of anything Rangers/Protestant is off the scale now.

They will go after us big time if the mentally challengeds don't get awarded the league
Not if every League ue in World football does the same, I am getting of the opinion that if they really want it this badly just give it to them it says who they are and what they are all about more than any words, also if they don't get awarded watch them about turn and make themselves it to be the moral crusaders.

Not if every League ue in World football does the same, I am getting of the opinion that if they really want it this badly just give it to them it says who they are and what they are all about more than any words, also if they don't get awarded watch them about turn and make themselves it to be the moral crusaders.
I believe this is exactly what they will do, try to claim the moral high ground, we will see quotes like “everyone knows Celtic were the best team but this is more important than football so we decided not to fight this decision because that’s the type of club we are.”
They have shown many times they have no shame.

I think people in power are maybe reading this quarantine thing wrongly.
Quarantine is NOT a cure, its purely to slow it down, slow it down so the NHS can deal with it. Its still gonna be out there in 4 months, id be amazed if we get to see any football this year !
They should be more concerned weather or not we get next season started !

The sooner folk on here realise that this isn't going to happen, the sooner we can start to focus on improving our run for when it does resume - because it will.

I know all of the arguments against it, I know what is going on, I know the timescales involved here, but I'm also a realist.

There is ONE QUARTER OF A BILLION POUNDS being spoken of in England if the season is declared null and void, meaning that a good few down there, never mind here, would go to the wall.

We are already seeing players refusing to accept pay cuts or deferrals, the wage figures down south mean that clubs cannot afford it, pure and simple. 4 and 500k is being shelled out down there. Multiply an average of 200k per week by 30 players and then a share of 3/4 billion pounds to pony up on? That's why they need to see it out and get the tv money flowing again, hence the closed doors even being acceptable to many of them.

Don't shoot the messenger, don't misinterpret me as being an advocate for it happening, but do please accept that we are going to fall into line with England, and England ain't going there......
But we are not England nor do we have mega tv deals so ur argument fails ,Clubs in Scotland need punters through the door so no closed door games no point if no money through the gate no massive penalty clause for the clubs on tv deals . Line through the season let clubs sort player contracts as most end on 9th june and start preparing if possible for a new complete season with a full league program to aim for rather than some rehash of 16/14 teams of 26 or 30 games next season losing at least 8 games from the league to end this one sometime MADNESS

They sit top. I would have more respect for him if he said null and void the season but he just wants it finished now. Not so sure he would be saying the same if Alkmaar were above them on goal difference.

For what its worth I would love for the season to be declared null and void but we might not be playing football before Christmas. If this is the case finish this season after Christmas and start a new season in August 2021.

It’s all if, buts and maybes. No one knows how long this will go on for so I don’t see the problem with holding off on any decisions.

In an ideal world we keep this season running, get our act together quickly, claw back the points and win this league.

The desire to complete the season at all costs due to the potential financial hit to clubs south of the border and, potentially, in other major leagues across Europe is short sighted and very narrow minded reeking of self interest.

Yes there will be a significant financial hit to the major clubs, however, they are not only best placed to withstand that hit but also best placed to negotiate a better deal for themselves.

The delay in completing the season and in distributing prize money will have a greater affect on a greater number of teams further down the food chain right across the continent. These clubs are less capable of taking that hit and cannot necessarily wait for the delayed pay out. Are the big boys going to bail them out? I don't think so.

The delay in completing the season is also likely to impact on next season with the real possibility of a somewhat truncated season with certain tournaments (league cup for example) likely to fall by the wayside and potential scaled back European competitions. This will mean less games and, therefore, less money coming through the gate and reduced sponsorship and TV deals.

It is indeed all about the money but at times like these the strong should undoubtedly shoulder much of the burden and short term plans must be made to save as many as possible without having a detrimental future effect. This desire to conclude at all costs is about saving the big boys taking a significant hit in the short term but cares little about the present impact on those below them or the potential future impact on all including themselves.

In Scotland we do not need to be driven in this manner as we don't have the TV deals and Sponsorship deals that the major leagues have. Our clubs are more reliant than any other Association on the gate receipts. That being the case we, more than any other league in Europe, have the opportunity not to follow but to do what is right for all.

Just my opinion though

Which is why we should let them have it. The title will forever have an Asterix against it as a tainted title to add to the list they have. We can mock their 8.5 in a row where we weren't competing for 6 of them forever.

If they are so desperate to win it then let them have it. Our position must be that if titles are handed out then relegation should be as well. Let Anne Budge take up the fight. Tie the rats together by the tail and let them fight it out.

Makes little difference to us in the long run. As far as I am concerned our 9 in a row was won fairly and squarely on the pitch with them chasing us all the way.

They sit top. I would have more respect for him if he said null and void the season but he just wants it finished now. Not so sure he would be saying the same if Alkmaar were above them on goal difference.

I can speak Dutch and have read a few different articles and he
IS saying null and void. At no point does he claim Ajax should be
awarded any title. Doorstrepen means put a line through which
I read as Null and Void.

This crisis is certainly showing what teams have a bit of class and integrity about them and have their priorities in the right place.

Unfortunately this is true. Null and void simply won't happen. The majority of English Premier League clubs outside the top six (and many in the Championship) will go bust if the season is declared null and void. It's as simple as that.

Behind closed doors isn't a great option but the most likely one at the moment. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the season simply deferred i.e restarted again in say January 2021.

And given the knock-on impacts on CL, Europa qualification etc every league in Europe will fall in line with what England does here.

Man Utd, Juve, Barca and Real probably hold enough away to come together collectively and put this sham to an end

Watched some of the Dutch news this morning here in the Dam' and Overmars didn't miss anyone with his comments.

The players and staff are not focused on football... they are focused on health and wellbeing of their family, friends, and health workers and rest of the nation. It will take a while before footballers are ready to get back to training and start playing again and will only happen when they are sure this is over.
Especially his point that we here in Holland are not reliable on tv monies like the big ones.

Has any team in the European leagues actually won their countries league yet ?
Surely the most sensible answer if nobody has is to null and void every league so nobody wins and all leagues stay with the same teams for next season whenever that starts

The main flaw in that argument is that the majority of clubs in Scotland - and that's what we are talking about here - are dependant upon bums on seats, punters through the gates, however you want to describe it. That's not the case in England where, by and large, clubs survive on tv money. TV cash is very important in Scotland but its not critical in the way it is down South. Worth noting also that the quarter of a billion pounds rumour represents a pro-rata refund for the games not televised and not, as the media in Scotland would have you believe, the entire seasons tv contract being claimed back. In Scotland Sky and BT 'might' try to claim their money back, and it would obviously have a big impact, but nothing like the consequences for some of the smaller clubs down South like, for example, Bournemouth who pay transfer fees and salaries entirely based upon tv money.

I've no idea how things will play out in Scotland - though I could probably have a good guess. What I will say is that it is in the interests of everyone that they make the call now. End the season. Pay out whatever cash the SPFL have to clubs to help them through the Summer. Plan on next season (whenever it starts). Let clubs put season tickets on sale for a known number of games (38) with only the start date uncertain. Sort out player contracts, who's being released etc with a degree of certainty about next season. Because the longer the football authorities delay and obfuscate the more difficult it will be for our clubs to come through this.

I'm of the opinion there is zero chance of starting a new season in August never mind finishing this one.
We are only at the start of the first wave of this epidemic and don't expect a slow down until the Autumn.

When mathematically the relegation and winners positions can change the only way to determine the final league positions is to complete the games, this clearly will not be possible so they have to declare it null and void any other solution will lead to legal challenges from at least 2 clubs, Rangers and Hearts will not accept this.

They're not saying to declare it null and void, they say they want it stopped.

Some other clubs have said the same as well.

Belgium looking to set a rather unfortunate precedent that will have the Dhims all over it:

The Pro League Board of Directors met today by conference call. The most important item on the agenda was, of course, the question of continuing to compete in the context of the coronavirus crisis.

The current situation, particularly precarious, in which our country finds itself has the consequence that sport is not and cannot be considered the first concern, however entertaining and relaxing it may be.

In this context, it is the responsibility of the Board of Directors to make a recommendation to the General Assembly for the continuation of the competition, taking into account public health, the interests of all stakeholders and the wish of the majority of clubs not to resume competition.

The Board of Directors has reviewed the recommendations of Dr. Van Ranst and the authorities that it is highly unlikely that public matches will be held before June 30.

The current situation does not allow us to know if and when a resumption of collective training can be planned.

In addition, a resumption of competition could not exclude the health risks of the players, employees and all those involved in the organisation of matches and in the maintenance of order. In addition, possible contamination of a player or a core of players may influence the sporting performance of the rest of the competition in an unacceptable manner.

Even if closed-door matches were theoretically possible, the additional pressure that the organization of these matches would put on the health services and law enforcement should be avoided.

In addition, the decisions of the local authorities threaten to make it impossible to run the championship days simultaneously.

The Board of Directors unanimously decided that it was not desirable, whatever the scenario, to continue the competition after 30 June.

In view of the above elements, the Board of Directors has issued a unanimous opinion to the General Assembly in order not to resume the competitions of the 19-20 season and to accept the current ranking of the Jupiler Pro League as the final ranking (subject to the decisions of the Licensing Commission).

The Board of Directors has set up a working group (composed of Mr Croonen, Mr Louwagie, Mr Cordier, Mr Allijns, Mr Bormans and the Management of the Pro League) which will examine the sporting problems and the financial implications of this decision. The possibility of playing in the Croky Cup final and the return leg of the Proximus League final will be among the topics covered in this working group.

The General Assembly will be convened for Wednesday, April 15.

They get away with it.

AZ and PSV are behind Ajax and want to stop the season
After Ajax, AZ and PSV have also indicated to the KNVB that they want to stop this season. Both clubs have just made this known during the telephone consultation with all clubs.

Freek Jansen 02-04-20, 17:35 Last update: 17:44

Through Freek Jansen

Ajax spoke clearly about their position this morning through Marc Overmars. The Amsterdammers think that there should be a line under the current season. This view is now also applicable in Alkmaar and Eindhoven. Both AZ and PSV have advised the KNVB to stop this season.
Also read
Earlier today, both clubs had a telephone consultation with Ajax. AZ and PSV agreed with the words of the Amsterdam club management. They will therefore act together and that has just been repeated in the consultation with all clubs.
In the meantime, the KNVB has invited all clubs from the Premier Division and the Kitchen Champion Division to a video conference. The national football association wants to update the professional football associations next Tuesday about the consequences of the two scenarios that are still on the table for the rest of the season. The question now is whether Ajax, AZ and PSV no longer see any advantage in playing out the competition.

I wonder what UEFA will do if a majority of the big leagues decide they want the season's declared null and void. Would they then just have a Champions League with Celtic and Bruges ?

Class from a big club. Unfortunately yet another quality the Bheasts don’t possess

They want it finished, but not null and void.

Current standings to stand.

Where does it say current standings to determine Champions? Ajax are only ahead on goal difference.

If a team is so far ahead that they can't be caught or have 2 or more to play to win it then i understand why giving them the title. But here we have a game in hand and we have to play them twice and anything can happen.

IMHO Liverpool should be champions of England due to the fact they are so far ahead but it should have an asterisk next to it to point out the reason for being awarded.

But at least Liverpool can handle the situation with a bit of dignity and class that can't be said for a certain team in our country who we will always be ashamed to have to be burdened with.

Back