Akinfenwa claims racism by being called a Water Buffalo

The world has gone mad. Whatever is said now will give someone something to complain about. I live in England and am sometimes called Jock - is it racist ?

As per title he claims someone in fleetwood called him a fat water buffalo and he is claiming racism. I think its clear the comment is in relation to his build but of course in todays world the racism card is pulled out.
I just thought the story quite interesting considering a lot of us and Morelos himself refer to him as el buffalo.

Racism isn't a "card". He says he feels dehumanised and that's his right to say that.

Just because something has no racist intent doesn't mean it's not racist.

Anyway, if Morelos felt the same about "El Buffalo" then I would hope that we would respect that and stop.

Of course, that has nothing to do with his skin colour and everything to do with his build and style of play. But still, if he judges it inappropriate then it's a different ballgame.

Hun is a sectarian word. Celtic fans saying that it isn't doesn't make it true. We demand that they stop and they should - and anytime they use it they should be called out on it. Bigotry, plain and simple.

Neither of these things offend me or particularly bother me. But that isn't the point.

He’s not fat. I’m sure he was hired to bring down the red road flats, guys a unit
He's very strong and carrying a lot more muscle mass than your average football player, but he's also a fair bit fatter. Cant have your cake and eat it. Or maybe he has.

Jumping on the victimisation band wagon!!!!!
If he jumped on ANY kind of wagon given his "bulk" it would need to be pretty damn sturdy!! You are spot on! his statement is pathetic, and, as others have said, just devalues the effort of real anti-racism campaigners.

Racism isn't a "card". He says he feels dehumanised and that's his right to say that.

Anyway, if Morelos felt the same about "El Buffalo" then I would hope that we would respect that and stop.

Of course, that has nothing to do with his skin colour and everything to do with his build and style of play. But still, if he judges it inappropriate then it's a different ballgame.

Hun is a sectarian word. Celtic fans saying that it isn't doesn't make it true. We demand that they stop and they should - and anytime they use it they should be called out on it. Bigotry, plain and simple.

Neither of these things offend me or particularly bother me. But that isn't the point.
I get what you are saying to an extent but where does it stop? The bit in bold suggests you agree that is was said in the context of his build and style of play and of course he has the right to be aggrieved a bit as it was said in a derogatory manner but in my view it wasnt racist. As has been posted in the thread he posted a photo comparing himself to a buffalo at one point. Footballers get abuse constantly from opposition and get called all sorts some of which will be racist/sectarian which is clearly wrong but is it going to get to the stage you cant give an opposition player any stick because you will offend them.
I think there is definitely still racism issues especially in england but i just dont think this is an example of it. Just my opinion though and obviously cant say for sure what the guy saying it was thinking or how exactly it was said.
Just thought it was an interesting story considering we have a player who calls himself el buffalo.

That's all well and good if you completely ignore the fact he's referred to himself as a water buffalo on twitter.

The guy who has nicknamed himself 'The Beast' feels dehumanised?

A shame really, I think Akinfenwa always came across as a likeable guy who was more than happy to poke fun at his size.

Just seems like someone else who needed to board a bandwagon now.

Some people just like using racism card at every point possible - why not, it seems to work.

Somehow, I don’t think that the insult came from anybody whose native language is English.

His Wikipedia says ‘He runs a clothing label called Beast Mode On which plays on his strong man reputation’. So he makes money from styling himself as a Beast for commercial purposes but doesn’t want compared to one. Indeed he has made a decent career out of his body shape, which is by any measure an unusual body shape for a highish level professional footballer and fair play to him for that.

However, a water buffalo is a bovine, and ask any farmer and he’ll refer to his bovines as his beasts, so I’m struggling to understand how or when bovines became a race, unless of course anyone can claim them being compared to any non-human can be seen as racist, so they could be considered a race.

Anyway styling yourself as a beast then claiming racism when you are referred to as that which you have used for commercial purposes really isn’t on.

On question time a few weeks back, this old fella bring up the point about, any black person or BAME, when they come under any form of criticism they play the race card, I’m not for racism, but they old fella was right. Nothing unexpected came next, the interviewer subtly had to go to the next question.

Back