Alan Ball’s Wee Bud Story

And still fondly remembered :)

Alan Ball came out to the oil platform I was working on & before his night time after dinner speech, the OIM invited half a dozen of us for " afternoon tea" with Bally & Ron Yeats.
He mentioned his time with Vancouver & told him I had a family connection with Bud , right away he says ask him about the "cigar".
I pressed him but he wouldn't elaborate.
Next time I met Bud he told me the story
Vancouver Whitecaps were doing really well, & the manager ( Tony Waiters, I think) got the players together & said I've just signed the player whose going to win us the super bowl & he took them to a hotel to meet this player.
Alan Ball !!!!
So he's standing at the bar in a suit with a drink & a large cigar.
The rest of the players think big time Charlie so they lift him up & fling him fully clothed right in the swimming pool.
Bally gets out remove,s his clothes & strolls back into the hotel bollock & continues to smoke his cigar.
Bud only had good things to say about Alan Ball & I must say he was one of the best speakers I've heard.

It's always good to hear stories about the old characters that used to be in the game. Unfortunately, like Bally says, it is frowned upon. Too much money in the game now to allow someone with natural talent to be themselves and enjoy the game.

I was at a Jim Davidson gig and Alan Ball and his Mrs sat next to us, nice guy and had a beer at the interval and after, his daughter was in Davidson’s troupe of dancers.

Wrote about it before on here. If you ever get the chance Alan Balls autobiography is a fantastic read (not the latest biography the man in white boots the original & old one)

Anyway he loved & adored Jock Wallace from their spell at Colchester where he was jocks assistant. Half a chapter or so is devoted to the big man & how much they laughed working together

He talks of how jock loved rangers & pretty much hated anything green

Well worth a read for football lovers & anyone wanting to learn more about a true Rangers legend

Day we won the league 3-0 at Dundee Utd a fellow bear/Scot watched the game in my house then walked up to local for a swalliethon to celebrate. We kicked off around 1pm so the English games were on telly (last day of EPL) when we were there Got talking to guys I know about Everton and asked this guy best player ever seen play for Everton. Right away he said Alan Ball. He put his phone on table and told me to text a mutual acquaintance who was actually in London for Fulham v Everton game. If he (Ron) doesn't say Alan Ball I'll buy everyone in the pub a drink (40+ in there). Ron immediately replied with Alan Ball. Got sold by Everton without his prior knowledge.
Great story about Bud one of my favourite ever Rangers players. WATP

I once met Alan Ball.
One of the nicest blokes I ever had the pleasure to spend some time with.
A legend on and off the park.
What a loss he was to us all in and out of football.

Day we won the league 3-0 at Dundee Utd a fellow bear/Scot watched the game in my house then walked up to local for a swalliethon to celebrate. We kicked off around 1pm so the English games were on telly (last day of EPL) when we were there Got talking to guys I know about Everton and asked this guy best player ever seen play for Everton. Right away he said Alan Ball. He put his phone on table and told me to text a mutual acquaintance who was actually in London for Fulham v Everton game. If he (Ron) doesn't say Alan Ball I'll buy everyone in the pub a drink (40+ in there). Ron immediately replied with Alan Ball. Got sold by Everton without his prior knowledge.
Great story about Bud one of my favourite ever Rangers players. WATP
Graeme Souness also said that Zico and Alan Ball were two players he couldn't get near when he wanted to slow them down by any means.

Sadly fun is verbotten noawadays Alan. There is always someone offended

My abiding memory of wee Bud was him sitting on the ball against the mighty Bayern. If a Rangers player tried that today theyd be slaughtered by everyone, including our own fans

Back