Alan Brazil calls for Celtic to compensate abuse victims and disagrees with separate entity claim

I'm saying this is not new news. Bringing it up again at this point is to help sell his book. Sounds like a few on here will be buying TBH.
Or maybe he's included it in his book to highlight it again and help those people who suffered abuse and don't have a voice get some form of justice?

Who knows.

But if you want to dismiss him as trying to use it to sell his book (like filth fans also will do I imagine) then carry on.

He chased him but lost him from what I remember. I think he said he was glad he never caught him as he wasn’t sure what he’d do.
That sounds about right, there must be a copy of the book around somewhere with the exact transcript, its quite hard to imagine Brazil chasing anybody right enough, although 10-15 years ago he might have been less round.

Should have also said fair play to Alan Brazil for saying this no matter where he has said it, i cant imagine the courage it must have taken.

Jesus wept...you really have not got a clue. "Please buy my book. Although it is about my life as a footballer I have written about how i was abused as a child to hopefully shift a few more copies"

Really?
What did I say? "Call me an old cynic if you like".

You need more people with the bravery of Alan Brazil to come out and say the same, I think there have been some others, Pat Nevin I think?

They've backed themselves into a corner. Man city and Chelsea showed them a way out. They didn't take it.
They have far greater exposure to this, having employed a network of bheasts. They also have far shallower pockets than the owners of Chelsea and man city.

Hopefully they are sued to within an inch of their lives.

Fair play to Brazil for having the courage to bring this up but he has been able in his own way to live with it have a career in the game and broadcasting,What about the young men who’s life’s have taken different paths,Went in downward spirals and some who couldn’t live with the consequences of the abuse they suffered.

Fair play to Brazil for having the courage to bring this up but he has been able in his own way to live with it have a career in the game and broadcasting,What about the young men who’s life’s have taken different paths,Went in downward spirals and some who couldn’t live with the consequences of the abuse they suffered.

He is an alcoholic. Others take their own lives, Others become abusers themselves.

All at the hands of an evil bastard.

Celt*ic looked away while their own children were abused, shameful .Stein showed great naivety at best and the club's reputation and bank account came before the children's welfare . Fast forward to 2020 and now the celt*c fans become culpable because their silence is condoning their club's neglect, DISGUSTING in an age where the celt*c fans hold themselves as the paragons of virtue . They've spent years on their computers researching EBT's yet have NO interest in the serial child abuse at their club and also slander anyone who tries to shine a light on the horrific behaviour of several of their CONVICTED abusers. A public enquiry must happen and while It won't be the celt*c fans who demand it hopefully that will be another of their regrets as they are held to account, eventually.

I am sure in Brazils first book he also talked about the time he seen Torbett at a race meeting, there was a lot of rage going on but i cant remember exactly what, anyone read it and remember?
It was at York races he spotted him, but lost him in the crowds.

Alan Brazil has called for Celtic Boys Club victims to be compensated by the Hoops as he revealed the abuse he suffered at the hands of Jim Torbett still casts a shadow over his life.

The talkSPORT breakfast show host was just 13-years-old when he was assaulted by the coach during his time with Celtic Boys Club.

Brazil eventually testified against Torbett in court in 1998.

The beast was jailed for two years for abusing him and two other boys between 1967 and 1974.

Some 20 years later Torbett was found guilty of sexually assaulting another three boys and sentenced to six years.

Writing in his new autobiography, Only Here For a Visit, Brazil recalls the abuse Torbett subjected him to.

He said: “Before a big European tournament, he invited a big gang of us round and I remember him touching and kissing some of the lads, before dishing up ice cream.

“He sat down next to me, started kissing my head and put his hand between my legs.

"I recall that I was wearing my Boys Club blazer and grey slacks, and can still picture the leer on his face.

"I froze for a couple of seconds, then a couple of lads walked in, at which point I jumped off the couch, ran to the bathroom and locked myself in."

Brazil admits Torbett is the only person he's ever hated in his life as the beast's abuse still casts a shadow over him.

He added: "I've only hated one person in my life and that's Jim Torbett. For as long as he's alive, there will be a shadow hanging over me.

"Who knows how many kids would have gone on to be professional footballers had their lives not been ruined by Torbett.

"It's frightening that those evil b******s destroyed the lives of so many people.

“I don’t wish anyone to die, I’d rather that they just threw the key away and just let him rot because he’s destroyed so many people’s lives.

"These people are monsters.”

Three other men linked to the boys' club have been jailed for abusing young boys in recent years.

Legal papers were lodged in June on behalf of a survivor who is seeking compensation from Celtic.

The test case is expected to be heard in court within months and another 20 people are set to sue the club.

Earlier this year, Celtic said they were "very sorry" the abuse happened but have insisted the boys' club was an entirely separate entity with which it had "historic connections".

Brazil insists that for him, the matter is now over with, but he admits that he didn't see any separation between the clubs at the time.

And he is adamant that other victims of abuse at Celtic Boys Club should be compensated by the Hoops for what they were forced to endure.

He said: “For years, Celtic’s official line was that the Boys Club was a separate organisation, that they were not legally culpable and therefore wouldn’t be issuing an apology.

“I understood why they took that position because Celtic are a business and issuing an apology would have opened them up to maybe hundreds of compensation claims.

"But when I was a kid, I didn't see any separation between Celtic Boys Club and the 'big' club.

"I wore the same strip, my blazer had the same badge and I was watched by Celtic scouts. As far as I was concerned I was playing for Celtic's junior side.

"To say there was no connection isn't right.

"This terrible story should not be about business and lawyers and money.

"It should be about the victims and Celtic supporters, people who have loved the club all their lives and feel let down.

“Celtic did finally make some sort of apology in 2020, but the victims of the abuse deserve more than an apology, they deserve to be compensated.”
I hope justice is served

I’m glad he has went back to his terrible story and gave his updated opinion on it. He is the most high profile victim of those scummy Bassa’s, and for him to dismiss the clubs claims of being separate is a big statement of support to other victims. Well done Alan, but also I’m very sad that as a young lad your dream of playing for your team was stolen off of you. I still dream of playing for Rangers and I am nearly 50. ( I blame Davie Weir for the latter rush of hope!)
Truly disgusting, and sickening that some people still put the name of the club ahead of children, not realising that the name of the club is at its absolute lowest because of that stance, show some common decency and hold your hands up.

Taken long time for him to be this open - perhaps have a wee word in Jim Whites ear . Maybe he will stop sucking Celtic's boaby ?

5Live? Hopefully loses his job as a result then the horrible little lady's front bottom. Nothing funny about child abuse in the slightest.
In this main thread mate.

I'm saying this is not new news. Bringing it up again at this point is to help sell his book. Sounds like a few on here will be buying TBH.

He's been a presenter with a popular radio station for over a decade. He earns fortunes. The book is a small part of his income and he said he has no interest in compensation money that the other victims are looking for.

The man stood up as a witness to put Torbett away when loads of others didn't.

For me his only motive is to help the other victims.

He was a young boy from Simshill desperate to play for Celtic. When he played for the boys club he was the star man and under normal circumstances would have been offered a contract. Torbetts influence was such that he phucked it for him and he left for Ipswich as a teenager.

I like the guy and reckon if called to give evidence he would be back up the road to help the other victims.

Should have also said fair play to Alan Brazil for saying this no matter where he has said it, i cant imagine the courage it must have taken.
While every utterance on the subject via Brazil will be of great value to the victims he should spend a little time with the Scottish media to take advantage of his platform to highlight celti*s neglect of their own.

While every utterance on the subject via Brazil will be of great value to the victims he should spend a little time with the Scottish media to take advantage of his platform to highlight celti*s neglect of their own.
Spot on mate. Unfortunately the Scottish media are quite clearly shite scared to run with this. They should be ashamed of themselves.
The freedom of speech we have in this country is a privilege that others don’t have, journalism in all forms should be all over this, exposing wrongdoing is surely top of their principles when choosing that career.
Absolutely baffling that they aren’t.

Exactly this, they were kids and some people are loosing site of this fact.
Young boys who should have been having the best time playing for their football team. Bloody tragic what they were put through, as with all other victims of child abuse. It’s lost on Celtic fans that these boys were just like them, in fact one of them. The abuse these victims and their families get on Twitter is disgusting. Only in this nationalist-run backwater of a country would child sexual abuse on this level be ignored purely because the ruling party relies on the votes of the supporters who refuse to believe/acknowledge what went on behind their Club’s closed doors.

It's not before time that Alan Brazil brought this up again he was urged to do so a few months back.

It's a gigantic step forward however he's still in a protective mode i feel.

What happened to these young lads is nothing short of disgusting and for many it ruined their lives.

I get his love for Celtic but he really has to push this and stop hiding.

Got the photo of him on front page of the paper , this when he came out about it when McCann was there . His words any team that anything to do with pedophilia should be shut down. I’ve been saying for ages on here as well ,why has he not said anything. Well now he has but not the same statement.
It’s good he had come out to help them but should have done it sooner.

An alcoholic? The guys been getting out his bed at 0430 for 15 years. Aye he admits he likes a good drink but alcoholics tend not to be as disciplined as that.

Trust me iv lived with it for a long time.
A guy that admits live on air his wife has to hid car keys and even the lawnmower keys to stop him going to the boozer?

My uncle was a functioning alcoholic who would make his work as a scaffolder everyday.

His drinking habits are not the topic of discussion anyway but have without doubt are a direct result of what happened to him as a kid.

I don’t think it’s fair for people to say “he should’ve done this or that or sooner or in this or that media”etc. He done what was needed to get the beast jailed and he’s done what he feels he can or needs to. Maybe he doesn’t want to sit and answer questions for some rag journo. Well done to him for getting the beast the jail and hopefully helping other victims with the timing of this book release whether intentional or not.

Truly disgusting, and sickening that some people still put the name of the club ahead of children, not realising that the name of the club is at its absolute lowest because of that stance, show some common decency and hold your hands up.
It does make you wonder how high up it goes. The easiest (and the most decent) thing for the current Board/chairman and Club as a whole to do would have been to apologise for the abuse that occurred in the Club’s name in the past. The fact they won’t makes you wonder again who they’re protecting and if they still have (or have had until recently) significant ties to their rotten football club.

Sadly back then there weren’t the same protocols as today (police checks etc) for working with children so paedophiles were able to get into positions where they worked closely with children. This happened everywhere. But it seems it wasn’t just one or two in this instance. Still, abusing children was as wrong then as it is now and the fact these men were re-employed by Celtic when it was known what exactly they were is reprehensible.

It does make you wonder how high up it goes. The easiest (and the most decent) thing for the current Board/chairman and Club as a whole to do would have been to apologise for the abuse that occurred in the Club’s name in the past. The fact they won’t makes you wonder again who they’re protecting and if they still have (or have had until recently) significant ties to their rotten football club.

Sadly back then there weren’t the same protocols as today (police checks etc) for working with children so paedophiles were able to get into positions where they worked closely with children. This happened everywhere. But it seems it wasn’t just one or two in this instance. Still, abusing children was as wrong then as it is now and the fact these men were re-employed by Celtic when it was known what exactly they were is reprehensible.
They won’t admit liability as long as there is no appetite to put pressure on them from the Scottish government or media, and they know that.

It's not before time that Alan Brazil brought this up again he was urged to do so a few months back.

It's a gigantic step forward however he's still in a protective mode i feel.

What happened to these young lads is nothing short of disgusting and for many it ruined their lives.

I get his love for Celtic but he really has to push this and stop hiding.

Think about a time where youve perhaps took a second prize and not wanted to let on to anyone what happened.

Then compare it to what happened to Brazil and imagine what that must be like to talk to anyone about and it’s multiplied by a hundred

Last edited:
Back