Alan Brazil calls for Celtic to compensate abuse victims and disagrees with separate entity claim

ML9

AB has consistently mentioned this throughout his media career, I recall one piece where he said he seen beast Torbert(I'm sure the last time he had seen him)at a race day and seen red making a bee line to him though the crowds slowed his way allowing the monster to get away.

Its not new news

Davester

Must be very difficult for him as a born and bred tarrier to go through what he has, and speak up against his own club. Takes a brave fella. Sad that these folk need to demand action, when every right thinking person would take it as read. Grim.

Chas

Alan Brazil should be applauded for taking this stance. The horrendous abuse he and his teammates have suffered is unimaginable, Celtic need to support the victims, not ostracise them.

weebaggy

I think that shows what a strong hold they have mate. Brazil has been incredibly brave to call for justice. Pity he’s one of a very few from that rancid club.
I'm sure Brazil doesn't need Celtc's hush money as much as many others sadly do.

I live for the day the lid is lifted and as I follow BN94's post their day of reckoning hopefully is imminent.

roffey

Official Ticketer
It’s really sad that Celtic are not closing this issue. They have the power to do so one way or another.

JW1988

There’s 2 things that still stick out here bar their lack of real apology

the sentencing is atrocious, such leniency after ruining lives doesn’t sit right & the fact that it’s STILL not been investigated properly

Kentbear

I am sure in Brazils first book he also talked about the time he seen Torbett at a race meeting, there was a lot of rage going on but i cant remember exactly what, anyone read it and remember?

AZBlue

So should he have left it out? The thing that has haunted him and shaped him as a man. The thing that he wakes up to every day.
Should he have left it out of his autobiography?
I'm saying this is not new news. Bringing it up again at this point is to help sell his book. Sounds like a few on here will be buying TBH.

Wilkinsvolley

Official Ticketer
I am sure in Brazils first book he also talked about the time he seen Torbett at a race meeting, there was a lot of rage going on but i cant remember exactly what, anyone read it and remember?
He chased him but lost him from what I remember. I think he said he was glad he never caught him as he wasn’t sure what he’d do.

arnietac1

Official Ticketer
I'm saying this is not new news. Bringing it up again at this point is to help sell his book. Sounds like a few on here will be buying TBH.

Jesus wept...you really have not got a clue. "Please buy my book. Although it is about my life as a footballer I have written about how i was abused as a child to hopefully shift a few more copies"

Really?

Hurleyreyes

Or maybe he's included it in his book to highlight it again and help those people who suffered abuse and don't have a voice get some form of justice?

Who knows.

But if you want to dismiss him as trying to use it to sell his book (like filth fans also will do I imagine) then carry on.

Kentbear

He chased him but lost him from what I remember. I think he said he was glad he never caught him as he wasn’t sure what he’d do.
That sounds about right, there must be a copy of the book around somewhere with the exact transcript, its quite hard to imagine Brazil chasing anybody right enough, although 10-15 years ago he might have been less round.

IbroxForever

Should have also said fair play to Alan Brazil for saying this no matter where he has said it, i cant imagine the courage it must have taken.

AZBlue

Jesus wept...you really have not got a clue. "Please buy my book. Although it is about my life as a footballer I have written about how i was abused as a child to hopefully shift a few more copies"

Really?
What did I say? "Call me an old cynic if you like".

instructor

You need more people with the bravery of Alan Brazil to come out and say the same, I think there have been some others, Pat Nevin I think?

Balogun1

They've backed themselves into a corner. Man city and Chelsea showed them a way out. They didn't take it.
They have far greater exposure to this, having employed a network of bheasts. They also have far shallower pockets than the owners of Chelsea and man city.

Hopefully they are sued to within an inch of their lives.

BlueHaze

Fair play to Brazil for having the courage to bring this up but he has been able in his own way to live with it have a career in the game and broadcasting,What about the young men who’s life’s have taken different paths,Went in downward spirals and some who couldn’t live with the consequences of the abuse they suffered.

WinkieWATP

Fair play to Brazil for having the courage to bring this up but he has been able in his own way to live with it have a career in the game and broadcasting,What about the young men who’s life’s have taken different paths,Went in downward spirals and some who couldn’t live with the consequences of the abuse they suffered.

He is an alcoholic. Others take their own lives, Others become abusers themselves.

All at the hands of an evil bastard.

Ianferguson

Celt*ic looked away while their own children were abused, shameful .Stein showed great naivety at best and the club's reputation and bank account came before the children's welfare . Fast forward to 2020 and now the celt*c fans become culpable because their silence is condoning their club's neglect, DISGUSTING in an age where the celt*c fans hold themselves as the paragons of virtue . They've spent years on their computers researching EBT's yet have NO interest in the serial child abuse at their club and also slander anyone who tries to shine a light on the horrific behaviour of several of their CONVICTED abusers. A public enquiry must happen and while It won't be the celt*c fans who demand it hopefully that will be another of their regrets as they are held to account, eventually.

JPS Blue

It was at York races he spotted him, but lost him in the crowds.

Born under a union jack

Alan Brazil has called for Celtic Boys Club victims to be compensated by the Hoops as he revealed the abuse he suffered at the hands of Jim Torbett still casts a shadow over his life.

The talkSPORT breakfast show host was just 13-years-old when he was assaulted by the coach during his time with Celtic Boys Club.

Brazil eventually testified against Torbett in court in 1998.

The beast was jailed for two years for abusing him and two other boys between 1967 and 1974.

Some 20 years later Torbett was found guilty of sexually assaulting another three boys and sentenced to six years.

Writing in his new autobiography, Only Here For a Visit, Brazil recalls the abuse Torbett subjected him to.

He said: “Before a big European tournament, he invited a big gang of us round and I remember him touching and kissing some of the lads, before dishing up ice cream.

“He sat down next to me, started kissing my head and put his hand between my legs.

"I recall that I was wearing my Boys Club blazer and grey slacks, and can still picture the leer on his face.

"I froze for a couple of seconds, then a couple of lads walked in, at which point I jumped off the couch, ran to the bathroom and locked myself in."

Brazil admits Torbett is the only person he's ever hated in his life as the beast's abuse still casts a shadow over him.

He added: "I've only hated one person in my life and that's Jim Torbett. For as long as he's alive, there will be a shadow hanging over me.

"Who knows how many kids would have gone on to be professional footballers had their lives not been ruined by Torbett.

"It's frightening that those evil b******s destroyed the lives of so many people.

“I don’t wish anyone to die, I’d rather that they just threw the key away and just let him rot because he’s destroyed so many people’s lives.

"These people are monsters.”

Three other men linked to the boys' club have been jailed for abusing young boys in recent years.

Legal papers were lodged in June on behalf of a survivor who is seeking compensation from Celtic.

The test case is expected to be heard in court within months and another 20 people are set to sue the club.

Earlier this year, Celtic said they were "very sorry" the abuse happened but have insisted the boys' club was an entirely separate entity with which it had "historic connections".

Brazil insists that for him, the matter is now over with, but he admits that he didn't see any separation between the clubs at the time.

And he is adamant that other victims of abuse at Celtic Boys Club should be compensated by the Hoops for what they were forced to endure.

He said: “For years, Celtic’s official line was that the Boys Club was a separate organisation, that they were not legally culpable and therefore wouldn’t be issuing an apology.

“I understood why they took that position because Celtic are a business and issuing an apology would have opened them up to maybe hundreds of compensation claims.

"But when I was a kid, I didn't see any separation between Celtic Boys Club and the 'big' club.

"I wore the same strip, my blazer had the same badge and I was watched by Celtic scouts. As far as I was concerned I was playing for Celtic's junior side.

"To say there was no connection isn't right.

"This terrible story should not be about business and lawyers and money.

"It should be about the victims and Celtic supporters, people who have loved the club all their lives and feel let down.

“Celtic did finally make some sort of apology in 2020, but the victims of the abuse deserve more than an apology, they deserve to be compensated.”
I hope justice is served

change consent