Alan Brazil calls for Celtic to compensate abuse victims and disagrees with separate entity claim

I don’t think it’s fair for people to say “he should’ve done this or that or sooner or in this or that media”etc. He done what was needed to get the beast jailed and he’s done what he feels he can or needs to. Maybe he doesn’t want to sit and answer questions for some rag journo. Well done to him for getting the beast the jail and hopefully helping other victims with the timing of this book release whether intentional or not.
Alan Brazil has got a massive massive platform to get a message across an important message at that.

I couldn't care less whether it be Celtic or us but he still has a duty as a citizen to push this further.

It's not only him that took that brave step to come forward however he has a platform where others have not.

Reactions: TQ3
Alan Brazil has got a massive massive platform to get a message across an important message at that.

I couldn't care less whether it be Celtic or us but he still has a duty as a citizen to push this further.

It's not only him that took that brave step to come forward however he has a platform where others have not.

If it happened to you do you honestly believe you would talk about it openly in front of your wife an kids? He has got on with his life and made a good career for himself on the radio but he has no obligation to anyone to let people know what some dirty evil pervert did to him whatsoever.

I know mate but he’s maybe not comfortable about talking about it and opening up to questions. He maybe clams up with anxiety etc. He got the message over by getting the beast the jail, he doesn’t owe anybody else anything.

Think about a time where youve perhaps took a second prize and not wanted to let on to anyone what happened.

Then compare it to what happened to Brazil and imagine what that must be like to talk to anyone about
It took my brother a long time to discuss it,it destroyed his footballing career in the process.

He refused to go on the Celtic boys club tour to America although he was their no 1 goalie,he suddenly packed his bags and left,we as a family wondered why however never questioned him ( he was 13 ).

He was the very first person to come forward against Cairney,Cairney's case went unproven back in "98 and he walked free.

We chased and we chased which eventually led to him being jailed.

They didn’t.
They stated "The Club is very sorry that these events took place" but wiped their hands of any connection.
That is NOT an apology in any way shape or form, they are not admitting any guilt at all.
I believe that Alan Brazil is trying hard to believe that it is some kind of an apology as he feels used as he still supports the club that allowed this to happen to him, but it isn't his club are not saying amende honourable.

Last edited:
I know mate but he’s maybe not comfortable about talking about it and opening up to questions. He maybe clams up with anxiety etc. He got the message over by getting the beast the jail, he doesn’t owe anybody else anything.
Exactly. Don’t think we should underestimate just how difficult it would be to come to terms with being abused, let alone to speak about it in public. At the time it happened to Brazil it would have been a taboo subject. He has been incredibly brave in all he has said and in going public initially and getting a conviction it has given others the confidence to come forward. Who are we to tell victims how to act and cope with no idea of the hell they’ve been through.

It took my brother a long time to discuss it,it destroyed his footballing career in the process.

He refused to go on the Celtic boys club tour to America although he was their no 1 goalie,he suddenly packed his bags and left,we as a family wondered why however never questioned him ( he was 13 ).

He was the very first person to come forward against Cairney,Cairney's case went unproven back in "98 and he walked free.

Sorry to hear that mate. :(

I chose my words carefully because thought I remembered you were close to a victim.
Utter scumbags mate.

The responsibility is never on the child. I think it can be too easy to assume that everyone who suffered abuse knows a lot more and therefore have a responsibility to tell all. Sometimes they do know more but thats not always the case, it can happen in very isolated circumstances to kids even when there are more kids suffering at the hands of an abuser. Even as an adult coming forward is a monumental act, so why is it a victims responsibility to come forward (if you did know more as an adult) knowing your evidence would be weak and you are in for a devastating onslaught. Thats some weight to carry, yes so is remaining quiet but maybe if the compliant public said enoughs enough and supported them, maybe then we would see more survivors coming forward. The responsibility rests with that club, the sfa, and this government who all need held to account.

Last edited:
You'll never see me slagging Brazil in here.

That man turns to the bottle every day for a reason. The fact he managed a successful football and media career is a credit to him.

Amen.

He's screwed the nut (extent) and carved out a good career.

I won't buy his book but I'll still listen to his part time gig on TS.

Fair play, it's something but far from calling them out as he should. He is quite straight forward in commenting on other subjects, he should tear through that club for what happened to him.

Alan Brazil has spoken out publicly a few times. Here he is in the Scottish Sun back in 2016.

Rikki Brown talks about the abuse and references Alan Brazil.

Last edited:
Well done to Alan for speaking about it. Those that know us know we’ve been working on this for a long time to get to the truth what really happened under the name of that club.
In recent months we know of other survivors that have come forward. What Alan Brazil has done will encourage others to speak about it.
A certain convicted beast was due at court yesterday. This has been delayed again due to a backlog of unrelated cases.

Must say I've always liked Alan Brazil, he is the opposite of the stereotypical Celtic fan. By listening to him over the years I'd say he is a Tory voting Unionist, and he was honest saying it was shite without us in the top flight.

I'm surprised he put this in his book, but fair play to him, must be hard. As others have said, no wonder he drinks the way he does. Hopefully proper justice and recompense is served to him and all the other victims of this disgusting cover up.

Here’s Alan from 2011 when he talks about the Kelly’s knowing what was going on.

But I tell you who did know — The Kelly family who ran Celtic at the time.

“They stood by him. One of the Kellys was even with Torbett in court. That p****d me off big style.”

That should be front and centre of everything.

Here’s Alan from 2011 when he talks about the Kelly’s knowing what was going on.

But I tell you who did know — The Kelly family who ran Celtic at the time.

“They stood by him. One of the Kellys was even with Torbett in court. That p****d me off big style.”

Kelly- Another individual that was thought could be hidden forever.

People being critical of Brazil need to reign it in he is limited in what he can put down in print as the filths lawyers would be all over him if he put down anything not yet proven in court.
I can remember him giving evidence at the original Torbett trial when there was probably less sympathy afforded to victims of abuse
Only an independent public inquiry will bring out all the truth but that will only come when the seemingly never ending court trials are concluded
Its the least that Alan Brazil and all the victims deserve

I look forward to listening to Alan Brazil and Ali McCoist they are great together fantastic banter and well done Allan for coming out i’m going to court , you’re a brave man

They are fcking pure scum,my mate played for them and was subjected apparently the collumbridge was one of the places,does not say to much but admits it happened

My heart goes out to Brazil, 47 years ago when I was a young 21 yo guy I was abused in my work by a bigger stronger man than me, to all the other men it was a big laugh and a joke, but I was absolutely terrified of him, I know I should have reported him, but back in the early 70's it just wasn't talked about like it is today, I didn’t want to talk to my parents as I was too embarrassed.
The guy as now dead and there is nothing that can be done, but it does leave you with a scar deep inside, these men need closure and that rancid club are torturing them to this day by not taking responsibility .

Alan Brazil, the former Scotland footballer, has said that the abuse he suffered at Celtic Boys Club still casts a shadow over his life, and has called for victims to be compensated.

Brazil was sexually assaulted by Jim Torbett, the coach, while playing for the club at the age of 13.

The retired footballer, now a radio presenter on TalkSport, revealed he could recall the incident vividly and still pictured the “leer” on Torbett’s face as he molested him. He said he was contacted regularly by other victims and had backed their claims for damages.

Torbett, 73, the founder of Celtic Boys Club, was jailed for two years in 1998 for molesting players, including Brazil, between 1967 and 1974. He was jailed for a further six years in 2018 for sexually abusing boys between August 1986 and August 1994. Three other men linked to the club have been jailed for abusing boys in recent years.

Legal papers were lodged in June on behalf of a survivor who is seeking compensation from Celtic FC. The case is expected to be heard within months and another 20 people are set to sue the club. This year Celtic FC said they were “very sorry” the abuse happened but have insisted the boys’ club was an entirely separate entity with which it had “historic connections”.

Writing in his new autobiography, Only Here For A Visit, Brazil, 61, said: “For years, Celtic’s official line was that the Boys Club was a separate organisation, that they were not legally culpable and therefore wouldn’t be issuing an apology.

“I understood why they took that position because Celtic are a business and issuing an apology would have opened them up to maybe hundreds of compensation claims. But when I was a kid, I didn’t see any separation between Celtic Boys Club and the ‘big’ club. I wore the same strip, my blazer had the same badge and I was watched by Celtic scouts. As far as I was concerned I was playing for Celtic’s junior side. To say there was no connection isn’t right.

“This terrible story should not be about business and lawyers and money. It should be about the victims and Celtic supporters, people who have loved the club all their lives and feel let down. Celtic did finally make some sort of apology in 2020, but the victims of abuse deserve more than an apology, they deserve to be compensated.”

Recalling his experience, Brazil said Torbett took him and other young players to his home and gave them ice cream before molesting them.

Brazil, a former Ipswich Town striker, said Torbett’s latest sentence was “ridiculously lenient” and that he did not think he would be able to put his ordeal behind him until his abuser was dead.

He said: “He sat down next to me, started kissing my head and put his hand between my legs. I recall that I was wearing my Boys Club blazer and grey slacks, and can still picture the leer on his face. I froze for a couple of seconds, then a couple of lads walked in, at which point I jumped off the couch, ran to the bathroom and locked myself in.

“I’ve only hated one person in my life and that’s Jim Torbett. For as long as he’s alive, there will be a shadow hanging over me.”

Celtic said they had nothing to add to their statement from February.

It said: “The club is very sorry that these events took place. The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime. Unfortunately it has affected many areas of society. With regard to the allegations regarding historic abuse at Celtic Boys Club (which, so far as we have been made aware, relate to prior to 1997), although Celtic FC is a separate organisation, we take these extremely seriously because of the historic contacts between the two organisations.”

I hate that Club*.

It has caused so much pain to so many innocent lives and then their audacity to serve up that the Boys Club was a seperate entity is a disgrace.
My post isn't about point scoring or that I support Rangers, it's about human decency. Celtic* have covered up for too long. They are accountable for this. Any investigation shouldn't rest till all the victims are given justice.

It said: “The club is very sorry that these events took place. The abuse of young people is an abhorrent crime. Unfortunately it has affected many areas of society. With regard to the allegations regarding historic abuse at Celtic Boys Club (which, so far as we have been made aware, relate to prior to 1997), although Celtic FC is a separate organisation, we take these extremely seriously because of the historic contacts between the two organisations.”

Deflect and deny in one paragraph.

What an utterly cowardly statement. Scumbags.

Disgraceful that the authorities have not pursued the individuals/club and anyone who knew what was going on.I cannot begin to imagine the torment victims could have and still are going through. And due to that the only way they may get some closure probably means they will need to go through it all again in a court of law.

More former Celtic players would do well to follow Brazil's lead and speak out on behalf of the victims.

Too many were/are happy to look the other way.

The pain the victims and their families have to live with on a daily basis must be brought to an end. It's completely unacceptable.

It's time for Celtic to face up to their responsibilities, to say sorry, and compensate the young footballers that had their lives ruined through no fault of their own.

Fair play to Brazil for speaking out. Much though he’s a supporter of them I’ve never seen him as a particularly bitter one, he likes the banter and is quick enough to credit Rangers when it’s deserved. Him and McCoist are good pairing for that.

It‘s a brave move to be so vocal about this and he deserves credit for it, it can’t be easy for him but it’s the right thing to do. I often wondered if his alcohol consumption, generally regarding as a laughing matter and part of his character, actually has a deeper, darker cause that’s linked to his awful experiences at that boys club.

Untill the day comes when that Club holds its hands up and allows for a full and transparent enquiry it will continue to carry the crimes of those who seeked to use its name to satisfy their sordid and disgusting needs against starstruck inoccent children.

They must accept responsibility and then look to compensate each and every life that was ruined.

Brazil has over 1.5 million listeners per week.
I think in England a lot more people are going to be made aware of the goings on at that rancid club by the release of his book.
I salute the mans bravery to speak out on an issue that is taboo.
Who in their past glories I wonder havent?

Deflect and deny in one paragraph.

What an utterly cowardly statement. Scumbags.
The question has to be asked : Why did Celtic FC state that they would carry out an investigation to put to bed these scurrilous accusations once and for all if they were a separate entity?

It is utterly appalling what Alan Brazil and hundreds of others have had to live with for all these years, yet the main stream media and SNP government continue to largely ignore.

Sinister doesn’t come close.

Back