Alan Devonshire

West Ham had another left footed midfielder, a bit later, maybe late 90s, early 00s. Dodgy semi mullet, English I think. Who was that?

Great player back in the day.

Saw him in a recent documentary and you wouldn't recognise him now.

Manages Maidenhead these days.
Met him a couple of times to get a few things signed; him and his assistant former NI internationalist Keith Rowland... both of them brand new... Alan asked me into the clubhouse to get a beer with him, and talk football.
Top guy, Happy Birthday Alan.

A fantastic player.
Seen am interview recently where he stated part of his pre match ritual for home games was to arrive a couple of hours earlier than anyone else so he could sleep in one of the stadium offices or gym.
Waking up in time for a warm up then go out and play.
Different times.

I remember a feature in Football Focus just after he signed for West Ham when they took him back to his factory and filmed him driving his fork-lift.

Just a few years later, I was driving my own fork-lift around a German metalworks... But sadly the local club, Borussia Mönchengladbach, never came in for me...

From what i can remember West Ham around his time were always good to watch, they always seemed to be on the tv on a Sunday evening on ITV, in my memory anyway.

From what i can remember West Ham around his time were always good to watch, they always seemed to be on the tv on a Sunday evening on ITV, in my memory anyway.
They had some great players. Billy Bonds was a terrific leader - the kind of player supporters love because he always left it all out on the pitch.

I really liked David Cross as well - big old-fashioned centre-forward who had a real eye for goal.

Great player back in the day.

Saw him in a recent documentary and you wouldn't recognise him now.

Manages Maidenhead these days.
I can't believe he's still there. He managed a team in the league I was playing in and left to join Maidenhead Utd and took half the team with him. That was about 25 years ago. Looks like he had a few spells at Maidenhead going by wikipedia.

they’ve helped redress the balance ever since then as they’re fucking brutal to watch. Ex’s family are all Irons so I’ve been to the Boleyn dozens of times to watch them. Was a good day out all the same.

Agreed, great player who was overlooked because of the love in Hammers fans had with the ridiculously overrated Trevor Brooking.
Brooking was a Rolls-Royce of a footballer in a terrific Hammers' side, alongside Devonshire and Billy Bonds. But I guess, opinions and all that.

Back