Alan Hutton retires from football

Mr Goodbear

Sorry if there is already a thread on this, I couldn't see it but ex-Rangers player Alan Hutton has announced his retirement from football aged 35.

Wonder that no Scottish clubs seemed interested.

Fantastic player for us. Still looked relatively at it in the Liverpool Legends game.

All the best Alan.

Agree that he looked like he cold still be playing - maybe the likes of a St Mirren or something like that. On the other hand, he's probably made enough dough to decide he doesn't want to lower himself to hoofball.

I was gutted when he left, think he was to. Good luck for the future

He absolutely was. I met him and McGregor a couple of days before he left. I asked if he was leaving and he said very strongly "not if I've got anything to do with it", at which point McGregor pulled him away in a 'let's go before you say anything more' type maneuver, which given what we know now shows just how distraught he was that he was being forced out the club

All the best to him on whatever he decides to do next. Was disappointed when he left as he was in great form but did get a good fee for him

He was on the Jim White show talking about it
Said Middlesbrough were interested but He wanted to stay in Birmingham because his eldest is playing in the Coventry Academy I didn’t want to leave the area for the sake of a one year contract

By all accounts he had a very good last season at Villa, he would surely have had decent offers from other championship team.

Can only think he’s happily settled with the family and doesn’t fancy another move or being away from home half the time week.

Good luck to him, Turned into a great player for us and got us a lot of money.

I reckon he could have continued for a couple of years if he'd wanted to but probably didn't fancy the clubs who were interested.

He was an excellent player for us before the move to Spurs.

Saw a clip of Inter v Spurs from 2010 recently. He was in a starting line-up alongside Bale and Modric.

kJhxI2o.gif

Met him the week after he broke his leg, got talking to him briefly, wishing him a speedy recovery etc.

Asked for an autograph and literally the only thing I had on me to sign was my ticket from the previous game in which he had broken his leg.

Kilmarnock I'm sure, ticket was still in my wallet.

Played for Rangers, played his part in some great memories, made us a nice sum of money and has had a very good career and no doubt set his family up.

All the best.

As others have said, he was brilliant for us. However, he didn't really fulfil his potential in England. He was pretty poor at Spurs before doing alright with Villa.

Some of they rampaging runs from right back were incredible, especially in his final 6 months. Just got to the stage where he was just constantly getting fouled every time he had the ball. 3-0 game against the poets in 2007 is a game he sticks out for me.

The spell he had prior to leaving us was incredible, power/pace and a directness that was fun to watch

Despite being disapointed he left I was proud he went on to play at such a high level with Spurs given he came through our youth set up

Good luck to him

When he broke his leg it was right in front of me in the govan front

Horrible noise you knew one or both of them was fucked in that challenge

Cant for the life of me remember who it was against seem to remember a white shirt so going to say killie or st johnstone

Didnt fancy Hutton when he 1st broke through and though he was nowhere near the player Phil Bardsley was, but he did indeed come good

Back