Alan Hutton retires from football

Was gutted when he left and always thought he’d return.

That game against the scum we won 3-0 in 2007 is among one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from a rangers player in an old firm.

He’s one of the people, all the best to him

Always thought he would come back
I would have taken him on a year deal and let Flanagan go if he was able to demonstrate his fitness. Not one for taking back ex players for the sake of it but he was performing well at villa only a few months Ago.

Was gutted when he left and always thought he’d return.

That game against the scum we won 3-0 in 2007 is among one of the best performances I’ve ever seen from a rangers player in an old firm.

He’s one of the people, all the best to him

They were terrified of him.

He was incredibly aggressive for that full 90.

I guess it's one of those do you really want to drop down and play for St Mirren or so on rubbish money when you probably dont need to

Strangely enough I was going to go onto the post about players you have met or spoken too. I met him at London heathrow airport hotel a couple of years after he joined Spurs. His wife / girlfriend was away up getting coffees / orange juice before they had breakfast and I took the chance to speak to him about life at Spurs, Guy was very approachable and pleasant. A Good player and career wish him all the best for the future.

Had we kept him back in 2008 I think we would have gone on to win the UEFA CUP and the SPL.
Another what if, but the form he was in at the time he should have been kept till the end of the season and who knows might have sold him for more then.

Given the number of players who end up writing books or on radio saying their only regret was that they retired too soon and the silly money chucked about by clubs who really can't afford it you would think that more good, honest pros would just carry on plugging away at it at a lower level until they feel that the body can't take it and/or they can't do themselves justice.

Dorrans could've quite easily said enough's enough after all those injuries but instead he's stuffing his pockets at Dundee with the possibility of a large chunk of cash if they go up via the play-offs. Hutton's less of a risk than him and a better player too, albeit in a different position, but you would think that McInnes or the Edinburgh clubs would've considered offering a year to him.

Of all the right-backs I've seen at Ibrox he was the best going forward but defensively there was a touch of the Tavernier's. Every time you thought he'd cut out all errors an unexpected mistake came out of nowhere, such as his nightmare at Tynecastle. Given the lack of defensive duties in Scotland he could and would have been a Rangers legend had he been able to play 500 games for us. At Spurs it stopped him making it at the very top level.

As a teenager he made his first start for us at Firhill. It was a December Sunday afternoon, shortly before Christmas. I spoke with ex-Jags midfielder Jamie Mitchell about the game and despite being one of us I could sense disappointment regards that day. The rain was bucketing down onto a pitch that was close to waterlogged in places and two experienced Thistle players, Martin Hardie and Alex Burns, targeted 18-year-old Alan. The first half was truly horrendous. Thistle took the lead early, we were so bad that Eck threw on Canniggia for Latapy after half an hour. Boab Malcolm replaced Alan at the break and goals from Mols and De Boer after half-time saved us.

It was clearly too soon and he didn't appear again until the next season. This time he was ready and in 04/05 I knew we had a player on our hands. He was knocking the ball past players and leaving them standing. Then the leg break, something which didn't seem to have any long-term effect and he deserves so much credit for coming back stronger, faster and fitter than ever.

When he left I was gutted. I think he would've come back had the club not gone through all sorts of shit down the years but it wasn't to be.

Good luck in your retirement Alan.

He was unplayable when Walter came back, shame he left but the money offerd couldn’t be turned down.

He absolutely was. I met him and McGregor a couple of days before he left. I asked if he was leaving and he said very strongly "not if I've got anything to do with it", at which point McGregor pulled him away in a 'let's go before you say anything more' type maneuver, which given what we know now shows just how distraught he was that he was being forced out the club
He did. He just had to say no, I'm not going.

Real favourite of mine, and as already stated, who knows what could have been if it had been different. Wish him all the best.

As others have said, he was brilliant for us. However, he didn't really fulfil his potential in England. He was pretty poor at Spurs before doing alright with Villa.
TBF i'm certain he played most of their games when they got into the champo and tore inter apart, whilst not playing too badly . You are right though, never fulfilled his potential

Met him years ago when he was recovering from his broken leg. He took time to talk to the Bluettes and sign stuff for them. Top bloke.

Used to see him in Asda Kilmarnock sometimes. He lived in Hurlford.

Surprised he didn't get at least another championship club in England, he done pretty well anytime I seen him last season down there.

Met him and most of the first team squad at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto during pre-season in 2005. He was really easy to chat to, seemed a very down to earth guy. I always rated him attacking wise, he had some brilliant performances for us. Lyon away sticks out in my mind, but also his performance for Scotland against Italy. Basically unplayable both games.

Shame he didn’t get the chance to return to us at some point, wish him all the best.

When we sold him with the form he was in for us and also for Scotland he was hands down one of the best right backs worldwide at the time.

He was tearing teams like France and Italy apart and was a massive player for us at the time also. Not just in the league but he was outstanding in most of the european games (as was most of the squad). But he was the standout nearly everygame he played.

Latest posts

Back