Alan McGregor

Yes. If we are 6-0 up (or even 2-0 up) then losing a last minute goal from a keeper mistake has no impact. Perhaps you should listen to what our manager has to say on this.
I listened to what he said, it still doesn’t alter the fact that we win 1-0 without McGregors mistake.
That is a indisputable fact that you just can’t seem to grasp.

I listened to what he said, it still doesn’t alter the fact that we win 1-0 without McGregors mistake.
That is a indisputable fact that you just can’t seem to grasp.

I'm quite clear on the fact that 1-0 wins a game thanks.

Made some good saves ahead of the mistake. It was poor but if we're 3-0 up at that point, as we should have been, it doesn't really matter.

My favourite Rangers goalkeeper was Chris woods and still is as he was the best I’ve seen at coming and claiming crosses into the box.

People acting surprised at mcgregor mistake can’t have been watching us for twenty years , best shot stopper I’ve seen for us alongside Goram but he has dropped crosses like that at least once a season every season he’s played for us, it’s nothing new. Unfortunately on Saturday it cost us big time and it was too late to do anything about it.

Teams would still give their right arms to have him in goals for them even at 39 , can we get off his back and support him please

How do you get this credit in the bank, asking for Morelos and Tav?
On a serious note, he gave me a fright in the first half as Goldson let a long ball drift over him expecting rightly Greegs would come off his line and claim it, he never and it resulted in a scramble, think there was one earlier in the season too, a ball to nothing, keepers all day and he just stood.

One of the best goalkeepers ever to play for the Glasgow Rangers.

Made one mistake. Possibly Father Time is catching up. That’s it.

Was just a basic goalkeeping error. Nothing more, nothing less! Extremely disappointed to draw that game on Saturday but McGregors got more than enough credit in the bank for me to be calling for his head. There’s other issues that need looking at before we get to replacing our no1

Not an age thing, always been his weakness.

Shouldn't have even been a issue with the chances missed
The fact is that at that stage those chances were gone and it was an issue. He should be doing his job correctly. He didn't actually even need to come for that cross.

How do you get this credit in the bank, asking for Morelos and Tav?
On a serious note, he gave me a fright in the first half as Goldson let a long ball drift over him expecting rightly Greegs would come off his line and claim it, he never and it resulted in a scramble, think there was one earlier in the season too, a ball to nothing, keepers all day and he just stood.

There was another moment during the game where he just kicked the ball out of the park. I think he was attempting a pass but it's hard to tell with how bad it was.

The amount of times he's bailed us out he was due an error which resulted in points lost. Even during the game he made some key saves that other SPFL goalkeepers wouldn't.

The saves he made were no better than the saves McCrorie made against Celtic.

All goalies drop clangers now and then. It’s easy to read too much into it based on age.

But it is clear when someone gets to a certain age they need to be phased out
He's always had the odd clanger in his game what keeper dosnt was magnificent in Prague hecwont get any stick from me remember what it was like before he came back.

McGregor will make 2 or 3 big mistakes in a season - one of them came in the final minutes on Saturday but the idea that it signals the end of his career is bonkers.

The transition of McGregor to McCrorie (probably via McLaughlin) is very important, and we need a settled defence in front of the goalkeeper to help it succeed.
The situation with Goldson is starting to disrupt the continuity of this team over the longer-term. Add in Helander’s injury and Katic out on loan and we don’t have the opportunity to try to establish a new partnership in the centre. Regardless of whether Goldson moves on in January, we need to bring a central defender into this squad to give us some options.

Then we can start to look at the position with the goalkeeper; for now though, I can only see McGregor as the first choice.

It was an error, but McGregor is nowhere near showing signs of age, I would argue the only one that is is Davis and its happening rapidly.

McGregor if he wants, could play another 2-3 years.

His positioning and reaction at 3 out of the 4 Malmo games were suspect.

He made 2 saves against Ross County where he didn’t clear danger he pushed straight back in to play, one resulted in their penalty the other a goal. He made a save against Lyon but again didn’t clear the danger and it let to the farce of their second.

He is nearly 40, his reactions are not the same as last season.

Goalkeepers are there to make saves, Gordon made more and better saves than McGregor did at the weekend, the Lyon keeper made more and a better save than McGregor at Ibrox.

He will continue to make brilliant stops but will let more in than he used to.

If at the other side of the pitch our players do their job it wouldn't matter.

It was a mistake but I know for a fact nobody would be more angry about it than McGregor himself.

I literally was happy and almost celebrating seeing him going to deal with the cross at their goal. It looked like he had it all the way and was going to relieve the pressure but sadly not.
Me too - thought sure he would have dealt with it comfortably.

The more you watch it, the clanger from Greegs is just bizarre,tbh. He's not really one for coming off his line and looked like he didn't know whether to catch the ball or punch it. But he's saved us more than let us down, so he's more than forgiven. The media praise for Hearts today, however, has been laughable.

McLaughlin is only a stop gap until a better replacement for McGregor is found. Sorry to upset his fanboy club on here.

In the top 2 goalkeepers our country has EVER produced. Our club has been lucky enough to have benefited from both of them. He’s made mistakes, all GKs do, he’s made high profile big game mistakes like all other top GKs (a couple of OF howlers spring to mind) still absolutely exceptional, still an elite performer, deserves every bit of the backing and respect he will undoubtedly receive from Gerrard and us fans

Back