Alan McGregor

Made one mistake sells a goal. Morelos makes 3 mistakes by not putting the ball in the back of the net. That’s football

Ok so he ballsed it, however there have been a few signs age may be catching up, he is undoubtedly a shot stopper, cross balls even Andy Goram was suspect, how many have their heart in their hands with extremely dodgy kick outs close to the box. I would not like to see a player that has given great service to this Club be remembered for silly mistakes, be better if we used him sparingly.
Absolute nonsense. He made a mistake after several outstanding saves

He’s hopeless at cross balls.

Genuinely get the fear when we concede corners late in tight games as I know he’ll never come off his line to relieve pressure the way McLaughlin does.

Today there are no excuses, a dreadful misjudgement.

For me, I’d have McLaughlin in goals on Thursday. Been assured in games he’s played in so far.

McGregor has been questionable for a few goals this season IMO

That said, Morelos is a bigger culprit for the result today for me. Missed a glaring sitter and numerous decent chances he completely scuffed and fluffed

I’m not going to blame him for today. He kept us in front with two very good saves prior to his gaff. Once again we were very slack leading up to their goal. Tav giving away a stupid foul that led to the corner.

It was a poor second half after one of our best 45 minutes of the season.. If we had played with the same pace and urgency in the second period then maybe the manager wouldn’t have felt the need to make substitutions. the ones he did make allowed Hearts to get a grip on the game

All in a really disappointing day that had promised so much

He made a mistake which is totally out of character and he also made two big saves. He's the best keeper we have at the club and i'm sure he'll continue as no.1.

Imagine agility and sharpness would be an age symptom .

Today was a basic misjudgment error that can happen at any moment in a keepers career.
We often have Davis on the post but for some reason not today.

McGregor's always been a great shot stopper but I've always felt uneasy at his reluctance to claim or clear crosses coming across his goal area.

Perhaps annoyingly ironic in that he came off his line to punch clear today, but made a hash of it, actually thought it seemed a pretty straightforward catch if he'd chose that option instead.

I'd be a bit tempted to give McLaughlin a run, others clearly will disagree, his willingness to come of his line and command his area edges it for me.

McGregor is usually above criticism on here for some reason but let's be honest, he's been poor all season. Decision making against Malmo was shocking, today he turned into Barkas in the last minute. His passing, commanding of his box and all round play is far too erratic.

Give McLaughlin a run of games.

BTW the saves McGregor made today are saves you'd expect any competent keeper to make. Far too many making out as if it was Gordon Banks' level of saves.

His mistake looks even worse on tv, absolutely horrendous and regardless of our wastefulness beforehand we were still winning when he decided to jump under the ball.

This is solely on him.

He’s struggled from corners throughout his career, made some excellent saves today.
We need to be looking at a replacement for the summer

McLaughlin should be no 1, this season he’s just looked the better goalkeeper. McLaughlin comes and catches that ball out the air and we win that game. Plus the saves he made weren’t out of the ordinary, they were saves you’d expect your keeper to make.
Aye OK LOL.

The 2 saves he made were outstanding

This exactly, people seem to have forgotten this has always been part of his game
agreed how many times over the years have we either yelled at shagger from our seats either live or watching the telly… “come for the ball”…. and of course he seldom ever did… he was my POTY last season… but as some have said…he needs to be playing every week or his skills will decline faster…

Thought he did well actually coming for it to clear the danger and it was his all the way, yet somehow he missed it.
It's a howler, and we got punished for it. Not sure its anything other than that.

He made some decent saves however I feel the backline is calmer with McLaughlin behind them who is much better with the ball at his feet

A season to far maybe?

Love McGregor he has been a magnificent servant

Greegsy has plenty credit in the bank. He's by far our best goalie. Yes he had a howler at the corner today. These things happen from time to time unfortunately. We should have been out of sight. As a team we seem so fragile in last 5/10 mins if only winning by one goal. Killing games off is a far bigger worry for me than Greegsy being our number 1.

Never feel confident when opponents have a corner and of course it was a bad mistake from McGregor. He's magnificent shotstopper and saved our ass 3-4 times before that, so I think it was whole team that let them in the game and let us down. If we'd been playing like we played 3/4 of the game and had killer instinct in front of the goal, we wouldn't be here discussing one specific mistake.

An average keeper concedes 3 to the Hearts forwards yesterday. Shagger kept us in the game when our finishing was shocking. Despite his blunder we should have won that game 4 maybe 5-1.

Typical knee jerk stuff. We cannot expect to win games when scoring only 1 goal. Yes, he made a bad mistake but the game should have been out of sight.

Should be played every game if fit,end off. The keepers position doesn't and shouldn't be rotated just to keep reserve keeper happy.

McGregor is 1 of the best shot stoppers I've seen in my lifetime and think he has been a magnificent servant to the club however I dont believe as of next season he goes in as number 1, we try to play football from the back and to do that you need a goalkeeper who is comfortable with the ball at his feet and is sharp enough to start counter attacks. McGregor surrenders possesion of the ball far too cheaply far too often.

The game has moved on now and next season we either go straight to McCrorie or we buy a new keeper

It’s a tough one. It was a cross he should have dealt with comfortably and it ultimately cost us the points.

He made some good saves as well.

I don’t think he will be No1 next season which is a sensible call however, his performance yesterday was not even close to how bad
Alfredo was! He is more culpable than AM

Bad mistake no doubt about it , seemed to have a rush of blood to deal with it and got caught underneath the ball . We didn’t manage the last 10 minutes very well , tav giving a needless free kick away prior to goal .

Nonsense mate, when did McLaughlin last make a save worthy of its own thread on here?
Maybe not it's own thread but we had him to thank for coming away from Dundee with 3 points. If as Gerrard stated at the start of the season that Mcgregor is letting him know when he's available to play then Mclaughlin should be the number 1 moving forward.

Typical knee jerk stuff. We cannot expect to win games when scoring only 1 goal. Yes, he made a bad mistake but the game should have been out of sight.
You’re completely missing the point, we were winning the game until his brain fart. Maybe harsh but he deals with the corner and it’s three points, it’s solely on him.

How many games have we actually won 1-0 this season? Your point doesn’t hold up.

You’re completely missing the point, we were winning the game until his brain fart. Maybe harsh but he deals with the corner and it’s three points, it’s solely on him.

How many games have we actually won 1-0 this season? Your point doesn’t hold up.

I'm not missing the point. I know he made an arse of it. He should have dealt with it. But he has had this type of mistake in him for his whole career. It's not a sudden thing.

My point is that the team should have made sure the game was done and dusted by scoring a 2nd. We had enough chances.

If we had score a 2nd we would have been talking about his mistake not costing us.

He’s always been the same with coming out for crosses or corners etc, you’ve 100% got to catch or punch that, sold us there

There is no argument that McLaughlin is the better keeper. He’s younger but there is no aspect of his game that is better at this stage than McGregor, aside from with the ball at their feet.

Usual overreaction after a poor result. Big error yesterday but he had made a couple of big saves before that.

Always had the view that a goalkeeper is the worst player on the park to make a mistake as it usually ends up as a goal to the opposition.
Greegs has a bit of credit in the bank for me anyway so I’m prepared to cut him a bit of slack for yesterday.he either just misjudged the flight of it,or took his eye of the ball.

I'm not missing the point. I know he made an arse of it. He should have dealt with it. But he has had this type of mistake in him for his whole career. It's not a sudden thing.

My point is that the team should have made sure the game was done and dusted by scoring a 2nd. We had enough chances.

If we had score a 2nd we would have been talking about his mistake not costing us.
What part of ‘we were winning the game’ is lost on you? Half of our wins in the league this season have been 1-0 so clearly another goal wasn’t needed.
You can blame the forwards all you want but chances are missed in every game. McGregor cost us two points yesterday, plain and simple.

There is no argument that McLaughlin is the better keeper. He’s younger but there is no aspect of his game that is better at this stage than McGregor, aside from with the ball at their feet.

Usual overreaction after a poor result. Big error yesterday but he had made a couple of big saves before that.
McLaughlin comes for cross balls and actually leaves his line

He is far superior to McGregor with cross balls

Ok so he ballsed it, however there have been a few signs age may be catching up, he is undoubtedly a shot stopper, cross balls even Andy Goram was suspect, how many have their heart in their hands with extremely dodgy kick outs close to the box. I would not like to see a player that has given great service to this Club be remembered for silly mistakes, be better if we used him sparingly.
Allan MacGregor although at fault for the goal didn’t lose us the game. That makes no sense but hopefully you get my point. He made 3 game saving saves prior to this. He’s always been crap at crosses.

McLaughlin comes for cross balls and actually leaves his line

He is far superior to McGregor with cross balls
He flaps at more than his fair share, he’s just never been punished for it like Shagger was yesterday.

Not trying to have a dig at him, he’s the third best keeper in the league after McGregor and Gordon and I’m quite relaxed whenever he needs to play but I’d rather we stuck with McGregor and rotated less.

I don't really understand what SG is doing with the GK position this season, has it been discussed or confirmed? It appeared for a while McLaughlin was the go to for our league games and McGregor saved for European games but we seem to chop and change at will.

Not that it's any excuse for the mistake made yesterday mind you, however their goal should have been nothing more than a consolation had players like Morelos done their job.

He recently saved a penalty which usually gets some credit and his stats since joining are superb. In fact, I'm struggling to think of any huge mistakes he's made but due to the weird cult status McGregor has on here any other goalie on our books never gets a fair shout.
Weird cult status?

What part of ‘we were winning the game’ is lost on you? Half of our wins in the league this season have been 1-0 so clearly another goal wasn’t needed.
You can blame the forwards all you want but chances are missed in every game. McGregor cost us two points yesterday, plain and simple.

I think we are just going to go round and round on this. I am crystal clear that at 1-0 we are winning the game. I do know how it works. We score more than our opponents then we get 3 points.

If you can't see that "half our wins coming from a 1-0 win" is the issue (your words not mine) then I can't say anything that will make you see otherwise.

I think we are just going to go round and round on this. I am crystal clear that at 1-0 we are winning the game. I do know how it works. We score more than our opponents then we get 3 points.

If you can't see that "half our wins coming from a 1-0 win" is the issue (your words not mine) then I can't say anything that will make you see otherwise.
And here’s me stupidly thinking you get the same amount of points regardless if it’s 1-0 or 6-0.

And here’s me stupidly thinking you get the same amount of points regardless if it’s 1-0 or 6-0.

Yes. If we are 6-0 up (or even 2-0 up) then losing a last minute goal from a keeper mistake has no impact. Perhaps you should listen to what our manager has to say on this.

Back