Alan Mcgregor

Giving up the game, must be hard for some players, I think that is what he craves right now.

Will get the cup games this year as McLaughlin did last year. Until McLaughlin makes a couple of clangers then shagger will be reinstated.

What else is he going to do? He's unlikely to sign for anyone else now. Another year's contract with the club he loves, the chance of playing even if occasionally. I'd think that would be very attractive compared with the alternatives (not that I have any specific knowledge of what those are).

Would not surprise me if he was starting Tuesday night,big game player

He’ll get the domestic cups and is getting paid s good wage to sit on the bench most weeks. Not too bad a deal.

I also don’t get the impression he has any interest of going into coaching/managing or media work. Can’t blame him for wanting to play as long as he physically can.

The Killie keeper looked woeful today. I know McGregor is past his best but he’d still be what, the third best keeper in our league, behind Jon and Craig Gordon.

IMO Greegs is an important part for this season,be it in goals or for his respect from his fellow players,knowing he is there as the best back up a first team keeper can have.

Personally I think he’s been asked to stay on as the manager is unsure about McCrorie being ready as no2. Could be completely wrong but I think McGregor was planning to retire last season.

Getting paid handsomely to watch the game as opposed to paying to get in. Could be called upon to play at a seconds notice and get to be hero in the Cups. Tough job, but someone has to do it :))

As above, no way he was kept on under false pretenses.

Has it ever been confirmed if he is doing some coaching too?

He's not daft. He won't be going into punditry I can't imagine and he's said he doesn't fancy coaching so staying on keeps him out of trouble whilst he works it out.

Mental decision keeping him on tbh.

If he was given another year and was still first choice then it'd make sense to an extent. I mean, it'd be the wrong decision but it'd still make more sense. Keeping a 40/41 year old keeper as a backup makes zero sense given that he'll be severely lacking in sharpness if/when he is called upon.

No, but he probably will.

FWIW I don't think either are good enough.
Agree I’d have McCrorie ahead for the cup games. His last loan spell suggests he isn’t at the right level but I’d rather see the younger lad get the opportunities to develop as he could well have a future here.

He won't be happy he is not number 1, if you hear ex players who played with him they say he wants to play every game, he will leave in Jan if doesn't get in team by then

In my opinion he has been retained not just because his ability but because he helps fill out the European squad as one of the few players at the club who meets the homegrown criteria.

We can only register

-17 'foreign' players ( English included)
- 4 players trained at other clubs in Scotland (minimum)
- 4 players trained at Rangers (minimum)

Jon McLaughlin doesn't meet the trained in Scotland criteria since he started out in English football but McGregor and McCrorie can be registered as home grown leaving room for other players in the squad.

If we signed a 'non home grown' back up keeper then we lose a much needed slot in the euro squad.

We're currently very light on homegrown players.

Only Scott Wright , Scott Arfield , Ryan Jack and John Souttar qualify as trained in Scotland.

Only the aforementioned Robbie McCrorrie and Allan McGregor meet the trained at club criteria. ( u21 players likely King and Lowry are exempt from registration)

We currently have 22 'foreign' 1st team players on the books. Which can be shaved down a few if you don't count surplus players like Katic but we're still going to have to leave someone out of the Euro squad at this rate and releasing McGregor would only have complicated that.

It's for this reason you will see top English clubs retaining or signing older English keepers, like at Man City where Scott Carson and Richard Wright have helped them round out their squads in the past.

Last edited:
Does anyone think he regrets staying on to be number 2? Surely not the way he wanted to go out.
I think McCrorie may, will be interesting to see if he is still hear after the window or if he starts the QoTS game. I suspect that Euro squad rules may play a factor.

In my opinion he has been retained not just because his ability but because he helps fill out the European squad as one of the few players at the club who meets the homegrown criteria.

We can only register

-17 'foreign' players ( English included)
- 4 players trained at other clubs in Scotland (minimum)
- 4 players trained at Rangers (minimum)

Jon McLaughlin doesn't meet the trained in Scotland criteria since he started out in English football but McGregor and McCrorie can be registered as home grown leaving room for other players in the squad.

If we signed a 'non home grown' back up keeper then we lose a much needed slot in the euro squad.

We're currently very light on homegrown players

Only Scot Wright , Scott Arfield , Ryan Jack and John Souttar qualify as trained in Scotland

Only the aforementioned Robbie McCrorrie and Allan McGregor meet the trained at club criteria. ( u21 players likely King and Lowry are exempt from registration)

We currently have 22 'foreign' 1st team players on the books. Which can be shaved down a few if you don't count surplus players like Katic but we're still going to have to leave someone out of the Euro squad at this rate and releasing McGregor would only have complicated that.

It's for this reason you will see top English clubs retaining or signing older English keepers, like at Man City where Scott Carson and Richard Wright have helped them round out their squads in the past.
Excellent post

Back