Alan McInally on Gillette Soccer Saturday

Jeff Stelling introduces the show with a reference to it being 25 years ago to the day since Bayern Munich were 1-0 down at half time in the Olympic Stadium to “the mighty Raith Rovers”, asked McInally if he was playing that night and he replies”naw I was injured and at half time I’m thinking if this stays the same I can never go back to Scotland”

He did come back........2 years before that game in 1993 to sign with Kilmarnock ‍♂
Wonder if he beat his wife that night..... allegedly

Jeff Stelling introduces the show with a reference to it being 25 years ago to the day since Bayern Munich were 1-0 down at half time in the Olympic Stadium to “the mighty Raith Rovers”, asked McInally if he was playing that night and he replies”naw I was injured and at half time I’m thinking if this stays the same I can never go back to Scotland”

He did come back........2 years before that game in 1993 to sign with Kilmarnock ‍♂
I wonder if he was "sitting there thinking"......just like Charlie?

Was at a night with Souness and somebody asked if anybody he worked with in England for Sky were Rangers fans. Souness said McInally is a massive Rangers fan and always talking to him about the Bears and hoping we win.

He’s actually quite a good bloke. I worked with him a long while back and had a great laugh with him. He was (and still is as far as I know) a bear.
I’ve been in the pub with him and Ally at the same time and they loved winding each other up. But not as much as McInally and Simon Stainrod who loved/hated each other and baited each other endlessly

Every time I see him I just think he was the big diddy that kept McCoist out the team for the opening game at Italia 90. He was absolutely honking and we lost 1-0 to Costa Rica.

I have met him on a couple of occasions. Never hides the fact he was a Bluenose and prod.
He can be quite funny but most of the time is a grade A weapon who was always on the ponce.

:D :D :D :D

Say what you want about the guy but he was terrifying in the rescuers down under

Screen-Shot-2016-01-27-at-3.04.11-PM.png

Met him in a lounge at Heathrow once, came across as an alright kinda bloke. Also, when staying in the same hotel as the BBC crew in Parma 1998, heard him telling bears in there to lay off him as he was one of us.

He was in the town square in Parma in 1999, the second time we played them (won 2-0 at home, lost 1-0 away) doing his bit for STV with Raman Barbedwire, and some bluenose had chinned him about being a 19th Century Terrorist covering our game, McInally apparently had to be held off him saying 'get your facts right before you call anyone a 19th Century Terrorist', or words to that effect.

I’ e met him a couple of times. The reports of him being an arsehole are absolute nonsense. Anyone who was in Parma when we qualified for the Champions league and was in the main square would know this. He was chatting away to all the Rangers fans, taking pictures, shaking hands being very pleasant indeed. Despite the chants of Rambo how’s the wife. Later he even hid behind a car and jumped out to scare me and my mates. He was great fun and obviously used to be a Rangers supporter. A year later I was working at Ibrox and he recognised me and said hello and introduced me to Mick McCarthy. I would bet my bottom dollar that the arsehole bookie meeting never happened.

I don’t mind McInally he’s quite good entertainment when he’s on and much better than the likes of Clinton Morrison. Actually find myself watching the BT Sports show more often than Gillette Soccer Saturday nowadays.

A friend had the ingenious plan of trying to get cheaper drink in a Bayern fan bar near Munich station by pretending to be McInally’s son.

Barman said he had no recollection of McInally ever playing for Bayern and told him to %^*& off.

Good to see his time at Bayern, in Munchen is well regarded by the locals.

Reactions: VGM
I used to drink in trader joes after work and him, Delacunt, McNee, Bobby Williamson and McInally used to come in after filming Scotsport Extra Time. McInally seemed decent although loved himself, I was doing a pish and he was on his mobile moaning about missing out on the St Mirren job!

I remember him on that Channel Four show 'Under The Moon'. He sat there singing along with a celtic alarm clock playing the Fields of Athenry.

Cracking big bluenose.

I’ e met him a couple of times. The reports of him being an arsehole are absolute nonsense. Anyone who was in Parma when we qualified for the Champions league and was in the main square would know this. He was chatting away to all the Rangers fans, taking pictures, shaking hands being very pleasant indeed. Despite the chants of Rambo how’s the wife. Later he even hid behind a car and jumped out to scare me and my mates. He was great fun and obviously used to be a Rangers supporter. A year later I was working at Ibrox and he recognised me and said hello and introduced me to Mick McCarthy. I would bet my bottom dollar that the arsehole bookie meeting never happened.
It most likely did happen. You hear conflicting stories all the time of ex and current footballers being either the nicest guy on the planet or a complete cock.

Is this hearsay or genuine mate? Would love to tell my old man bout this if it’s true
I was there as were many other bears.
He was given the mic to talk about the game and the crowd started chanting ‘Rambo, rambo give us the sash’.
He said something along the lines of ‘you know who I support’ then started singing

He was in the row behind us on a flight from London to Stuggart for the 3-2 game in 2007. We were the only bears on the flight as I remember, at customs we were talking to him his words were "what they (tims) dont know is I'm one of you's (bears)".

I remember him on tv (Scotsport or something?) trying to have a conversation with Stephane Chapuisat about the Bundesliga, or maybe a game involving Dortmund via a satellite link.

Anyway, the bold Rambo was giving it ‘Hiya Chappy, how are you?!’ and doing the old pals act.
Chapuisat clearly didn’t have a f88king clue who he was. It was maximum cringe.

Was it McCoist that told the story of rooming with him in Italy 1990 and first thing he did was put a big poster of himself in the Munchen gear on the room door?
I was at a night out and he was at the table behind us and when guys were going up to him and asking for his autograph on the menu he would go into his pocket and pull out a photo of himself in his Munich clobber sign it and hand it over, it may well be what happened in Germany I don’t know but this was 4 years after he had left them

Rambo.

The ego has landed. Über Bluenose. Couldn’t really make it at the Piggery, moved to Villa and started banging them in. Got his move to München and had his own wee segment on Scotsport showing his Bundesliga goals (didn’t take up too much airtime). Became pundit and co-commentator. Couldn’t hide his affections covering our CL games. Generally speaks sense about the game.

Can never get my mind around why Roxburgh started him in Genoa against Costa Rica over Super, but truth be told, I don’t mind him in the slightest despite acknowledging why he grates on some people.

Think I remember seeing him playing for Bayern against us at Ibrox in the European Cup years ago. Sure we got humped 3-1 or 3-0 that night.

Back