Alan Rough - any use?

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
When I watch old tournament footage he stands stock still as shots fly in.

Yet he was around for ages, and had 53 caps. So older bears, was he more than tubby and hopeless?

Played for Michael Jackson FC so....

Rough got the number of caps he did as Scottish keepers were to be blunt crap! Even the Gas Meter was only just better than okay. The English media back then dined out on how bad Scottish keepers were and for an extended period they were not wrong. Since then we have had Leighton, Goram, McGregor and even that impacted dog’s anal gland Gordon. We had demonstrably better goalies until now.

Find some old clips to look at he was bloody useless. If he was the best around back in the day it must of been a poor crop thank feck for goram and McGregor coming along two of Scotlands finest.

I thought he was sh#te especially for Scotland
In saying that he had a belter of a game at Ibrox one day for Hibs - He kept Everything out until late on when big Dave MacPherson scored

He saw off David Harvey, Bobby Clark, Stewart Kennedy, Jim Blyth, David Stewart, George Wood and Jim Stewart in the mid to late seventies, was still number one ahead of a young Leighton in 1982 and was still number 2 to Leighton in 1986 (famously replacing Leighton when he lost a contact lens the night Stein died in Wales in 85 and played at Wembley against England in 1986.

I thought he was useless against Peru and Iran in 1978 and I was only 5 years old.

I know he's hated on here but Leighton was a significant upgrade.

In terms of goalkeepers, only Jim Leighton and Gordon have more caps for Scotland.

I only remember him from the football phone in in the mid 00s

He saw off David Harvey, Bobby Clark, Stewart Kennedy, Jim Blyth, David Stewart, George Wood and Jim Stewart in the mid to late seventies, was still number one ahead of a young Leighton in 1982 and was still number 2 to Leighton in 1986 (famously replacing Leighton when he lost a contact lens the night Stein died in Wales in 85 and played at Wembley against England in 1986.

I thought he was useless against Peru and Iran in 1978 and I was only 5 years old.

I know he's hated on here but Leighton was a significant upgrade.

For some reason I thought Jim Stewart was English?? Every day is a school day!

Still remember singing with everyone else, "Jimmy, Jimmy giez a wave!" (He did!)

decent goalkeeper at his time i guess, i suppose the best of a bad bunch
spent most of his career at partick thistle......says it all really then went really downhill joining the poets

Leighton before he went to Man U was a fine keeper. After that he was never as good.

For some reason I thought Jim Stewart was English?? Every day is a school day!

Still remember singing with everyone else, "Jimmy, Jimmy giez a wave!" (He did!)

Jim Stewart went to W Germany as 3rd choice keeper in 74 whilst at Killie. He played for Scotland at my very first football match, 1978 v Norway. A 3-2 victory and Stein's first game in charge. Stewart was at Middlesborough and was part of a team that consisted solely of english based players.

He never played for Scotland again. I thought he was brilliant when he signed for us, particularly in the 81 SC Final, the first game, when Redford missed a penalty.

I was about 8 though, so I'm not sure my views are that credible.

Worked in Grieves part time when he played for Thistle.
I worked with Rough in the early seventies, we were both apprentice electrician's with Scotts. He was playing with Thistle then, he was offered full time contract while working at Yorkhill hospital, don't think he finished his apprenticeship, surprised if he worked part time after that, could be wrong never met him afterwards.

There was a game at Ibrox in Souness's first season where we drew 1-1 with Hibs, and we would have won by 6 or 7 if not for Rough.
He was often useless, but that day he gave as good an away goalkeeper performance as I've ever seen at Ibrox.
Was my second Rangers game, first game was 0-0 against Aberdeen a month before then that fecker delayed me seeing my first Rangers goal in the flesh as he looked unbreakable that day until McPherson popped up with the goal!

He was one of those goalies who looked great so long as he was kept busy but he couldn’t keep his concentration when he had periods of inactivity Nd would then lose a howler.

That’s why he looked great for Thistle but was crap for Scotland.

Jim Stewart was the first of what you would call a modern keeper. Look back at some of the youtube vids and you will see how he commanded his box etc.
It's not a coincidence that he was our goalkeeper coach for so long.

How did the Partick Thistle goalie get 50 caps for Scotland? Who did us and them have between the sticks back then? Surely better options than the partick goalie!!

Never saw him play live, but I've seen the howlers and the Toshack save.

I know Derek Johnstone and Derek Parlane both thought Peter McCloy was a far better keeper than Rough.

How did the Partick Thistle goalie get 50 caps for Scotland? Who did us and them have between the sticks back then? Surely better options than the partick goalie!!
We had McLoy who was better, Kennedy also better but he was hung out to dry aftet the England game he still was a big part of our treble 3 years later, Jim Stewart
They had Latchford ( English ) for years and Bonner ( Irish)
Aberdeen had Clark Dundee Hibs had McAlpine.

There was a game at Ibrox in Souness's first season where we drew 1-1 with Hibs, and we would have won by 6 or 7 if not for Rough.
He was often useless, but that day he gave as good an away goalkeeper performance as I've ever seen at Ibrox.
Remember it well. Prick had the game of his life.

Back