Alan Shearer. Signed at 15, hat-trick on first team debut at 17.

RFC80UK

With the talk of Millwalls Lovelace being signed at just 16, made me think of other great talents at that age. Plus how hard it must be to leave home that young.

I was 7 nearly 8 and a season ticket holder at the Dell when Shearer made his first team debut for Saints at 17 and scored a cracking hat-trick. What a career he went on to have.

Just so happens the Daily Echo had printed this yesterday. https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20235009.tough-decision-15-paid-off-alan-shearer-southampton/

Could Lovelace be a Shearer for us? Who knows.

Last edited:
I remember droning on and on to @gersintaethum that we should have been bursting the bank to sign Shearer from Southampton in the early 1990's.

8 Diddy rule aside, we'd have got him for less than Duncan Ferguson.

My old man was the same, was massively wanting Shearer to join us. Some signing that would have been!

Still wonder if in his quieter moments he regrets turning down man utd.

Yes newcastle were his home club and im sure he loved his time there but fact is he won nothing with them.

Still has his title medal from blackburn of course but should he have won more?

Maybe he's not that bothered.

Yes newcastle were his home club and im sure he loved his time there but fact is he won nothing with them.

He’s always said he didn’t regret it for a minute, I tend to believe him. He knows he’s always going to be at worst in the top 3 greatest ever Newcastle legends, probably means more to him than the medals at Man U.

He definitely should have won more but I think for Shearer, getting to play as the main hero for Newcastle, his home team, was the biggest trophy he could have ever had.

On one hand he didn't win much and could have if he'd gone to Manchester United probably.

But he was one of it not Newcastle all time top scorers, at time of his retirement pretty high up the England list too and probably only likes of Jimmy Greaves and a few others ahead in England top tier too.

For instance if I had been good enough to play for Rangers in a lean time and break pretty much every record going and had turned down a powerful English club where I could've won more I'm not sure if I'd regret it that much. I'd be sad I didn't win more but I'd still be thrilled and content I got to burst the net with Rangers a lot.

There’s probably a bit of regret that he didn’t win more but he was a club where he earned god like status and in his home city where everyone loved him, that will probably mean more and the feeling will last a life time.

Would you regret it if you got to sign for rangers?

sure his bank manager isn't

With the talk of Millwalls Lovelace being signed at just 16, made me think of other great talents at that age. Plus how hard it must be to leave home that young.

I was 7 nearly 8 and a season ticket holder at the Dell when Shearer made his first team debut for Saints at 17 and scored a cracking hat-trick. What a career he went on to have.

Just so happens the Daily Echo had printed this yesterday. https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20235009.tough-decision-15-paid-off-alan-shearer-southampton/

Just like our own DJ, young kids who went on to have long and fine careers.

Messi left Argentina at 13 and at 17 Ronaldinho won the Ballon d'Or and when asked how it felt to be the best player in the world, he replied "I'm not even the best player at Barcelona".

Ronaldo (R9) scored 5 goals in one match for Cruzeiro when he was 16/17 as well.

Messi left Argentina at 13 and at 17 Ronaldinho won the Ballon d'Or and when asked how it felt to be the best player in the world, he replied "I'm not even the best player at Barcelona".

Ronaldo (R9) scored 5 goals in one match for Cruzeiro when he was 16/17 as well.

Ronaldinho won Ballon d’Or at 17? He was still in Brazil then was he not? 25 he was I’m sure.

Shearer's record at Southampton is shit but fair play to Dalglish for spotting his potential

Shearer's record at Southampton is shit but fair play to Dalglish for spotting his potential

17 years of age till 21 years of age and approx 45 goals in approx 155 top level games was not bad at all given his age, quite a few folk saw what was coming next. He was fantastic at Southampton. Wallace and Le Tissier either side.

he was one of england's best strikers ever, plus he hated roy keane, would have love to see those two have a scrap

Maybe “playing for the team he loved” matters to some in England as well.

Kind of special talents.

Kind of special talents.

Whats-App-Image-2022-06-24-at-1-20-38-PM.jpg

Remember when 30 goals for a striker was a brilliant return...

My old man was the same, was massively wanting Shearer to join us. Some signing that would have been!
Shearer was absolutely world class at his peak. A supreme old school centre forward that was as hard as nails. The fact that he ragdolled a player such as Boumsong when he was an old man says it all.

Whats-App-Image-2022-06-24-at-1-20-38-PM.jpg

Remember when 30 goals for a striker was a brilliant return...
It still is. Messi and Ronaldo rewrote what was brilliant.

There are very few ever who will get 30 a season several years in a row.

Shearer was one of them, I loved him, he had absolutely everything, and would have been even better if he didn’t suffer two very serious injuries.

Greame Souness told me he was looking at Shearer when ' that bastard Kenny signed him ' lol Souness and Dalgish were and are still very close

Us it not Shearer that scored a goal in his full debut games for every team he played for..... cant mind if it was him or someone else of his era

Yep, he set a record at £3.6m going to Blackburn.
One season before we signed Ferguson, Just after we had signed Paul Rideout.

Walker was always going to sign Shearer and god knows how much Murray would have gone too if we went into a bidding war with him

Back