Albertz or Gazza

Albertz or gazza?

• Albertz

Votes: 138 41.9%
  • Gazza

Votes: 191 58.1%

• Total voters

govanrear1987

Debate going on about who you think was the better player for us?

Edit 15/07 16:33 - just to clarify, appreciate both were quality and that gazza was the highest level but my question was around their contributions to Rangers

Last edited:
Initial thoughts were that the OP has been doing some serious lunchtime drinking, but there's probably not that much in it when you look at their time with us. Can't make my mind up.

Making me choose between my heroes
BpNsf2jCAAAQG_s.jpg

Gazza was clearly the better player but Albertz contributed more to Rangers.

Absolutely this. We got two fantastic years out of Gazza when he was at the peak of his powers.

I don’t think you can argue that over time however Albertz gave us more.

In the year to 18 months we had Gazza at his peak he was untouchable bar compared to Laudrup. Albertz gave a tremendous contribution for longer but Gazza was so good that it’s a no contest for me.

Loved Der Hammer, but Gazza on his day could have graced any midfield in Europe. Truly world class. If he wasnt afflicted by personal demons, he could have been one of the best ever imo

Peak Gazza was easily better. Albertz was the better player for us, he gave us far more, Gazza gave us one brilliant season. I suspect people will just vote Gazza on the basis of being the more gifted player and without actually considering what they both gave to Rangers which is what the OP asks.

Gascoigne , no contest.

Paul Gascoigne in his prime was a world class football player. When he was at Rangers he was head and shoulders above everyone in Scotland with the exception of Laudrup. There should be no debate that he is one of the finest football players ever to grace the game in Scotland.

Albertz was a decent player for us with a good contribution to the club but he is several levels below the quality of Gascoigne.

What a nasty, nasty question OP :D

Albertz is my all time favourite player so Der Hammer for me.

They were terrified of him like I've never seen them terrified of any player.

Literally every time he had the ball in the opponents half, it was a potential goal. Every free kick was a potential goal.

Add to that that he was so strong, so so strong. If he picked the ball up in the centre circle and wanted to drive into the opponents box, he could do it and there was nothing bar a foul anyone could do about it. That's actually my only criticism of big Jorg, that he never done that even more often than he did.

An Albertz today is a 50m player, easy. We've never, ever replaced what he gave us. We had many shit hot players in Gazzas position in later years, but nobody ever gave us what he did.

That's not me saying Albertz was a better player than Gazza by the way, but there's a very strong case for saying Albertz contributed more to Rangers in many, many ways

I think it’s a given that Gazza was by far the better player but I’d pick Albertz simply for being here longer and the quality he gave us right from the start to the end of his career for us. Also delivered for us a lot more in Europe.

What a nasty, nasty question OP :D

Albertz is my all time favourite player so Der Hammer for me.

They were terrified of him like I've never seen them terrified of any player.

Literally every time he had the ball in the opponents half, it was a potential goal. Every free kick was a potential goal.

Add to that that he was so strong, so so strong. If he picked the ball up in the centre circle and wanted to drive into the opponents box, he could do it and there was nothing bar a foul anyone could do about it. That's actually my only criticism of big Jorg, that he never done that even more often than he did.

An Albertz today is a 50m player, easy. We've never, ever replaced what he gave us. We had many shit hot players in Gazzas position in later years, but nobody ever gave us what he did.

That's not me saying Albertz was a better player than Gazza by the way, but there's a very strong case for saying Albertz contributed more to Rangers in many, many ways
Probably because his fitness wasn’t flash as he smoked like a chimney!

Absolutely, absolutely. But he was still shit hot.
Aye. One of my favourite footballers ever.

I loved him as a kid. As I’ve grown up though and watched games back I can see why Advocaat demanded more from him but doesn’t change the love I have for that man.

It's a tribute to Jorg Albertz to be matched with Gazza - clearly a better footballer - in a poll.

I would pick Jorg.

He was a better Ranger.

Gascoigne is the best player I've seen play for this club; he was a genius. I loved Albertz but to compare him to Gascoigne never even crossed my mind before. Statistically, Albertz contributed more; if that's the question then it answers itself, but was that really the question?

I loved Albertz as a man and a player but as time goes on i think he gets remembered as being better than he actually was. Yes he was good but not in the same bracket as Gazza, or Steven, or Durrant, or Barry Ferguson etc. This is probably the same reason Advocaat always had him on bench unless we had injurys
I know i am going to need the tin hat for that tho, haha

Gazza was clearly the better player but Albertz contributed more to Rangers.

Precisely my own thought. Gazza was an incredible talent but the question was 'who was the better player for us'. The Hammer did more for us than Gazza, despite some memorable moments from the latter. Jorg didn't have the same talent but my goodness he contributed a lot during his time at Ibrox.

Gascoigne , no contest.

Paul Gascoigne in his prime was a world class football player. When he was at Rangers he was head and shoulders above everyone in Scotland with the exception of Laudrup. There should be no debate that he is one of the finest football players ever to grace the game in Scotland.

Albertz was a decent player for us with a good contribution to the club but he is several levels below the quality of Gascoigne.

You're doing Albertz a bit of a disservice there, IMO. He was far better than decent, he was an outstanding player for Rangers and regularly done it on the biggest of occasions.

You're doing Albertz a bit of a disservice there, IMO. He was far better than decent, he was an outstanding player for Rangers and regularly done it on the biggest of occasions.
He didn't find it easy to get into the midfield that Gascoigne was in; he started by being played left-back. Maybe that adds more clarity about who was better.

Back