Albertz or Gazza

Albertz or gazza?

• Albertz

Votes: 138 41.9%
  • Gazza

Votes: 191 58.1%

• Total voters
Loved Albertz but Gazza was 5 times the player at his best. Like it wasn't even close.

That said, Albertz gave more for longer in a Rangers shirt.

Initial thoughts were that the OP has been doing some serious lunchtime drinking, but there's probably not that much in it when you look at their time with us. Can't make my mind up.
Aye i thought the same. Gazza the better footballer but albertz was there longer and won more trophies.
Gazza won 4 trophies with us and albertz won 7 but as much as i loved the hammer i voted gazza the man was a genius footballer.

We are privileged to have had someone with Gascoigne's ability play for us. It's not belittling Albertz by saying my answer would be Gazza by a mile.

He is the most gifted player I have ever seen play for us, and a hero to many fans who are now in their mid to late 30's. I can still recall the excitement that summer when he signed, everyone at school cutting about with bleached hair.

A more fitting debate is Gazza v Laudrup.

Last edited:
Gazza was the best English player of his generation and clearly world class in his time . So gazza for me . But I’d give my right arm for Albertz in this team - the goals from outside the box we miss !

Semi professional and amateur team management
And you would pick Albertz over Gazza? I take it your amateur team weren’t very successful then Albertz was a fantastic player for us however Gazza was in a different planet he was the best player in my lifetime to wear the famous jersey by a fair distance and I am 59 !

What a nasty, nasty question OP :D

Albertz is my all time favourite player so Der Hammer for me.

They were terrified of him like I've never seen them terrified of any player.

Literally every time he had the ball in the opponents half, it was a potential goal. Every free kick was a potential goal.

Add to that that he was so strong, so so strong. If he picked the ball up in the centre circle and wanted to drive into the opponents box, he could do it and there was nothing bar a foul anyone could do about it. That's actually my only criticism of big Jorg, that he never done that even more often than he did.

An Albertz today is a 50m player, easy. We've never, ever replaced what he gave us. We had many shit hot players in Gazzas position in later years, but nobody ever gave us what he did.

That's not me saying Albertz was a better player than Gazza by the way, but there's a very strong case for saying Albertz contributed more to Rangers in many, many ways
I totally agree with you here, that left foot shot will probably never be replaced and his passing and crossing were so precise i cant think of many that didn't hit the foot or head it was aimed for, what a player, and Gazza wasn't bad either.

Albertz for me.

Both performed well domestically, but Albertz delivered more in Europe.
Albertz also never let us down with his behaviour.

As good as Gascoigne was for us, we didn’t get as much out of him as we should’ve done.

I’d argue that Albertz gave us everything he had, whereas Gascoigne underachieved.

And you would pick Albertz over Gazza? I take it your amateur team weren’t very successful then Albertz was a fantastic player for us however Gazza was in a different planet he was the best player in my lifetime to wear the famous jersey by a fair distance and I am 59 !
Just out of interest, my amateur team (formed in 1956 and still going) , won three consecutive league titles during my period and have never won another either before or since.
However, that's not the point. I am not arguing that Gazza may not be the most talented individual player that we have ever signed, I am just opting for who I would choose to have in my team.
Based on the current vote, there are quite a high percentage who all should not consider football management as a career

Reactions: Gee
Not much respect being shown for Albertz here. If you’re looking for the most assists against Celtic? It’s Albertz. Most goals against them? It’s Albertz. Big goals in Europe? It’s Albertz. Big goals and overall longevity for Rangers? It’s Albertz.

Again, I don’t think the OP is asking who was the more gifted player, which would be a one sided debate because it’s Gazza without question. But rather who was the better player ‘for Rangers’.

Debate going on about who you think was the better player for us?

Edit 15/07 16:33 - just to clarify, appreciate both were quality and that gazza was the highest level but my question was around their contributions to Rangers
That's brutal!! :eek: Gazza at his peak was world class and levels above The Hammer who gets my vote here thought based on the contribution to us criteria as he did contribute more over longer for us!! Who would I pick to play for us now? Gazza easy without a second thought!!

That's brutal!! :eek: Gazza at his peak was world class and levels above The Hammer who gets my vote here thought based on the contribution to us criteria as he did contribute more over longer for us!! Who would I pick to play for us now? Gazza easy without a second thought!!
Aye it’s split 50/50 pretty much. For me I’d take big Jörg

Gazza was clearly the better player but Albertz contributed more to Rangers.

This, his record in big games was tremendous. Interesting to see how many goals and assists he got Vs them, if you look back at the old YouTube clips/highlights Albertz was involved in nearly everything positive.

Gascoigne was of course a genius in his own right but Albertz contributed more over his time with us.

We sold Gazza at the right time. I don't think he quite had the career his ability deserved and he only has himself to blame for that. Everybody who knows anything about football knows how good he was. But he wasn't brilliant for the amount of time he should have been, and for that he only has his own mentality to blame.

Gazza was a better player but comparing their 2 spells with us, Albertz contributed more.

Loved them both.

We are privileged to have had someone with Gascoigne's ability play for us. It's not belittling Albertz by saying my answer would be Gazza by a mile.

He is the most gifted player I have ever seen play for us, and a hero to many fans who are now in their mid to late 30's. I can still recall the excitement that summer when he signed, everyone at school cutting about with bleached hair.

A more fitting debate is Gazza v Laudrup.
For me that’s not even a debate

In terms of contribution to us?
Gascoigne lit up Ibrox, he had genius, he made dreams come true; he doesn't make mere contributions in this comparative sense. Those years he was here were sprinkled with magic. The composer Shubert once said, 'some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same'; that's Gascoigne, that's why his Rangers Years video on Youtube has had near on half a million views. Laudrup once said of Gascoigne that 'he glided with the ball in a way that made him virtually untouchable for opponents'. Contribution? Gascoigne's contribution never goes away.

Dodging the issue but i was devastated when we let Albertz go..... i was sad to see Gazza go also but the timing was probably correct (again debatable).

I loved both, but I absolutely loved the Hammer so i went Big Jorg with a heavy conscience. How good would either be in the current team with their goals and match changing impact, sadly we will just have to imagine.

Gascoigne lit up Ibrox, he had genius, he made dreams come true; he doesn't make mere contributions in this comparative sense. Those years he was here were sprinkled with magic. The composer Shubert once said, 'some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same'; that's Gascoigne, that's why his Rangers Years video on Youtube has had near on half a million views. Laudrup once said of Gascoigne that 'he glided with the ball in a way that made him virtually untouchable for opponents'. Contribution? Gascoigne's contribution never goes away.
There’s no doubting gazza’s contribution and his talent was world class. But in terms of big games and big goals you’d have to argue Albertz done it more often. It’s around a 60/40 split in favour of gazza but it’s clear it’s not a landslide

Yeah but Albertz still gave Rangers more

Albertz was head and shoulders above Gazza for rangers and could easily be named in the top 3 foreign rangers. Gazza obviously had the better career but at rangers albertz done more than him.

Last edited:
I thought this was based on contribution and not ability? Gazza is possibly the most gifted player to play for us, but for his contribution over the piece, and in big games home and abroad, Albertz is a clear winner.

I thought this was based on contribution and not ability? Gazza is possibly the most gifted player to play for us, but for his contribution over the piece, and in big games home and abroad, Albertz is a clear winner.
Yes mate my question was around contribution to us

Back