Albertzs long range shots

Daleboy91Watp

Due to my age I don't recall much of Ibrox before 98' really but I'm sitting here thinking I've yet to see someone who can strike a ball like this man. Is there anyone that any bears/ettes could come up with to be close?

Albertz is unmatched in my lifetime. What a player to have in your side, you could be toiling and struggling to find openings and sometimes it didn’t matter because he could just drive one in from 30 yards.

The way he hit free kicks was brilliant, you don’t see it now days, everyone goes for the Juninho technique but very few strike the way the way he could.

7e4e48fb-af14-4bd0-9298-5ec749cd6eaf.gif

7c4e9735-9fbc-471a-8646-aabc948a0074.gif

Adidas recorded an Albertz shot at 89mph , Alan Shearer was close at 84.. was a random thing at a Predator boot launch

Not us but Peter Lorimer had a reputation for giving the ball a fair skelp
Augentaler for Munich did us with one too

Happy to admit I cried when he left.

My absolute hero.
Same mate, my favourite player ever. met him at the HIVS cup final under Warburton, knelt down and kissed his left foot and then proceeded to burst out greeting. A highly embarrassing episode for him I'm sure but I something I'll remember forever.

Ronald Koeman could whack a ball but wasn't a match for Der Hammer.

Didn't he keep injuring our Goalkeepers during training? I'm sure either Klos or Niemi ended up with metal screws in their hand after saving an Albertz shot.

A massively underrated one is his goal against Aberdeen in the Orange Cup Final. I think it kind of gets forgotten about because it bounced over the line then back out to be headed back in by Rod Wallace (and they had Robbie Winters in goal) but it was still an incredible strike. He was closer to the half way line than the goal I reckon.

Free kick v hibs at Easter road. Think he scored a near identical one at Ibrox. Was from wide and curled in with ridiculous power.

I might be wrong but did he not score a ridiculous goal away at Haka in a CL qualifier as well?

When we got a free kick just outside the box and big Jorg stepped up I felt like it was a penalty to us, such was my confidence he would score.

Always remember a last minute free kick v Hearts at Ibrox when it was 0-0. Big Jorg stood over it and the whole stadium knew he would score it. And he did.

Ronald Koeman could whack a ball but wasn't a match for Der Hammer.

Didn't he keep injuring our Goalkeepers during training? I'm sure either Klos or Niemi ended up with metal screws in their hand after saving an Albertz shot.
Was Niemi he done.Ended up with broken and dislocated fingers.:eek:

The Hammer was my hero back then.
Absolutely love that man.
In his dvd at the end when he’s clearly emotional after being entered into the hall of fame, I was greeting like a wee lassie so I was. :))

Reactions: ao2
It always frustrated me that most of his penalties he hit low - and so missed some. Striking them the way he did free-kicks, he’d never have missed.

Aswell as the sheer power, he could also bend free kicks into the top corner with great accuracy.

How I wish we could have him again. I thought Advocat's treatment of him was shocking.

Don’t think Dick appreciated the smoking and his lack of tracking back. Jorg admitted that on 9 in a row thing on the BBC he didn’t drink but after training under Smith the Players would hit the pub so he smoked instead, he said Smith would shout from the touch line track back, but he said he couldn’t cause the fags.

Don’t think Dick appreciated the smoking and his lack of tracking back. Jorg admitted that on 9 in a row thing on the BBC he didn’t drink but after training under Smith the Players would hit the pub so he smoked instead, he said Smith would shout from the touch line track back, but he said he couldn’t cause the fags.
Cruyff did as well sure and he wasn't too bad,mate.

I might be wrong but did he not score a ridiculous goal away at Haka in a CL qualifier as well?
The volley that stands out for me was the one away to PSV in 99, what a strike.

One of my favourite ever rangers players.

Opposition teams absolutely shat themselves (rightly so), when a freekick anywhere outside the box was awarded, and chants of ALBERTZ....ALBERTZ....ALBERTZ rose all around the stands.
Hairs in the back of your neck went up, awaiting the inevitable piledriver that was headed goal bound!
Very rare to see anyone take on a shot from anywhere close to distances the big man did with ease.

Big Amo could give it some on occasion, Coop has been mentioned but I can’t think of anyone who could hit the ball as hard, as accurately and as often as The Hammer. Not even Konterman :))

Albertz's shots were hit super hard. but I think the gaffer in his playing days was better by some distance and his shots had a lot more variety

When he took penalties he very rarely skelped them. I remember one he took v hearts at tynecastle belted it down the middle it hit roussets leg and came out. The ball took its first bounce close to the halfway line. Roussets leg must have been red raw for days

In terms of consistent straight line power, you'll struggle to name many players who were as good/better than Albertz. Batistuta comes to mind but I'm sure there are a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Back