Albion Rovers - looks bleak

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
A once proud club (supported by a couple of pals of mine) with their own assets (stadium etc) but adrift at bottom of League 2. The general feeling is that if they drop out the leagues it will be flats soon...local council very unwilling to find a sportsground they can use and local people tend to support ra hoopsh.

A shame, they once played in cup finals, and in the top division.

Great wee stadium too as it has a wee pub inside it and terracing where people can abuse linesmen and players!

My dads second team, he's always looking out for their results. His words were that they've always been the same, as soon as they get out of the bottom tier they drop straight back down. Hope they can sort out their problems, only hope for them is winning the play off.

How did they manage to become so shit?

I remember they took us to a replay in the cup and the games were televised. They made like quarter of a million off of those ties alone I'm sure.

I remember they took us to a replay in the cup and the games were televised. They made like quarter of a million off of those ties alone I'm sure.
Ally McCoist's team was not a benchmark even for shit teams.

Chills just thinking of McCoist playing one up at home to Albion Rovers and scraping a last minute draw.

Anyway, I hope they get OK. Crooks and capitalists running clubs into the ground is sad at any level.

1 league win all season, not great.
Do they go straight down or is it a PO?

They would play the winner of a play off between Lowland League (Certainty to be East Kilbride) & whoever wins the Highland league (Looking like Brora Rangers, Cove Rangers or Fraserburgh).

Hoping for EK myself as i stay there & have a mate playing with them.

They would play the winner of a play off between Lowland League (Certainty to be East Kilbride) & whoever wins the Highland league (Looking like Brora Rangers, Cove Rangers or Fraserburgh).

cheers mate, see AR had an attendance of 183 at a game the other week. Not great. Good luck to EK.

Was it not Cove Rangers who weren't that keen on getting promotion? Something to do with the expense of being in the league i think

Yes I think the travelling for them was a bit of an issue. I'm not sure what would happen if they actually won the play offs?

They're favourites to win the HL again which would see them play off with East Kilbride then Albion Rovers.

On an even sadder note, their Goalkeeping Coach passed away over the weekend.

Rovers used to get around 750 - not great but the recent fall off has been due to bad results, bad management and as mentioned a quandering of cash gained from playing us. Fans can't see where any of it went (Ramsden tie and two S Cup ties).

I know every team has their own financial difficulties and local complexities, but you would really think/hope these teams would have been set up for at least a decade with 4 games a season against Rangers in the lower leagues. Maybe this is fantasy on my part but when the part time sides draw Rangers or Celtic in the Scottish cup they say how it will set them up for a couple of years but I guess this is more to do with tv money and 50% of a away game at Ibrox. Ultimately its just sad and imagine the boost a Colts team from us or them would add to attendances yet there seems to be a fair bit of resistance

Playoff against winner of lowland league Vs Highland league, so probably East Kilbride or Cove Rangers

Speaking of the Highland League, just looking at the current standings just now and Fort William are rock bottom after 26 games with -7 points and a -171 goal difference.

Wtf?

How does that work out?

Say it's Albion Rovers v Brora Rangers in the playoff and Brora Rangers win and get into league 2 , where does Albion Rovers go?

Speaking of the Highland League, just looking at the current standings just now and Fort William are rock bottom after 26 games with -7 points and a -171 goal difference.

Wtf?

9 point penalty for fielding ineligible player in three games.

Only managed two points so far. Were 1-0 up in last game only for match to be abandoned, think it was weather related.

Anyway, I hope they get OK. Crooks and capitalists running clubs into the ground is sad at any level.

Likewise. Met a boy I knew from years back at a wedding a few months ago and he is a director.

Don't think he is either a crook or capitalist and most of their board look to be hardcore supporters but probably lack the backing. Kevin Harper as manager doesn't look to have been a great choice either.

Albion Rovers refused to share a Stadium with Airdrie knowing that it could possibly put them in danger over the next decade.
I'll let you guess the reason.

To be fair (and I'm not defending any nefarious reason that may have been) If they can't get 200 at cliftonhill they'll get even less at Airdrie.

Likewise. Met a boy I knew from years back at a wedding a few months ago and he is a director.

Don't think he is either a crook or capitalist and most of their board look to be hardcore supporters but probably lack the backing. Kevin Harper as manager doesn't look to have been a great choice either.
Yes fair shout mate. I shouldn't have made that a more general point in football rather than pinning it on Stirling Albion.

the local celtic population came out in support of them for it

If Brora Rangers a highland league team were to replace Albion Rovers a lowland league team?

Surely it isn't a straight swap with Albion Rovers going into the highland league? Although nothing would surprise me with the spfl :D

How does that work out?

Say it's Albion Rovers v Brora Rangers in the playoff and Brora Rangers win and get into league 2 , where does Albion Rovers go?

Albion Rovers would go into the Lowland League.
If a North League club lost the play off they would go into the Highland League.
Effectively could mean odd number of teams in either Lowland or Highland League

Formartine United already scudded Albion Rovers in the Scottish Cup. Could see either EK or Cove giving them a bit of a doing in the playoff.

Was it not Cove Rangers who weren't that keen on getting promotion? Something to do with the expense of being in the league i think

No mate it as alleged that Brora Rangers didn’t want promotion I can 100% guarantee that Cove want league status.

All that is wrong about Scottish football summed up in one team.

They serve no purpose but get money from the member clubs to keep them afloat.

A total ambivalence to clubs such as them

I agree mate there are simply too many clubs most of whom should be amateur or semi professional. Teams with stadiums like Hamilton have no place in a top league. All top level teams should have a grass pitch and 4 proper stands no gazebo type stuff. Those that don’t meet that criteria shouldn’t be in the championship or premiership.

Wtf?
Pretty standard performance from the Fort.

Tbf you at the likes of Edinburgh city going up. Possible chance of winning the league this season too

Yes I think the travelling for them was a bit of an issue. I'm not sure what would happen if they actually won the play offs?

They're favourites to win the HL again which would see them play off with East Kilbride then Albion Rovers.

On an even sadder note, their Goalkeeping Coach passed away over the weekend.

It was Brora Rangers mate
No mate it as alleged that Brora Rangers didn’t want promotion I can 100% guarantee that Cove want league status.
I knew it was a Rangers, just wasnt sure which one :D

Albion Rovers refused to share a Stadium with Airdrie knowing that it could possibly put them in danger over the next decade.
I'll let you guess the reason.
The actual reason is that their support is too small and localised to survive a move to Airdrie where the stadium is not particularly handy for getting to anyway...they'd be skint in a season or two without any assets.

I had an Uncle play for them. Highlight of his career was going up against Alex Miller in a pre-season friendly at Albion Rovers decrepit wee home. My Uncle had just come to Rovers from the Juniors and was a strong and talented right-winger, capped at Junior level by Scotland - but he never got a sniff all game. Said that just bumping into Miller was like getting hit with a block of concrete. He came home battered and bruised aright.

If I'm honest, I wouldn't miss them if they disappeared.

Latest posts

Back