Alcohol at the football

Johnny Yen

When we are all back in the grounds whenever that will be, could the government relax the rules on booze being sold pre and post match to the normal punter?

Given the dire financial circumstances of many clubs, this would be a guaranteed money spinner.

Would they consider it? Even on a temporary basis?

kkB0hkg.gif

It’s not happening.
If they sold drink on the concourses and had the game on the TV’s about a third of the crowd would stand down there watching it.

Well there’s a simple solution to that, booze isn’t sold during the game or you don’t put the game on tv during it.

We should have it in Scotland. Would be a good money spinner for a lot of clubs.
Don’t sell it at games like Old Firms, Edinburgh Derby’s or us against the sheep. Outside those types of games, I can’t see the problem.

No one is going to convince me that watered down Tennants being sold at a £5 per pint will Cause trouble at games against Ross County and Hamilton etc.

It's a nope for me.

Look at how many of our players have been assaulted by scumbags from Hibs, Motherwell etc. Adding in an extra opportunity to get drunk is only going to add more ussues.

Add in to the fact I can't be bothered getting up let person after person out early so they can go get a pint. It's bad enough for people leaving to get food. Up and door more than a lady of the nights knickers.

As far I remember, the bars closed once the 2nd half got underway.

No reason, why we cant. We're not much different from england.

It's a nope for me.

Look at how many of our players have been assaulted by scumbags from Hibs, Motherwell etc. Adding in an extra opportunity to get drunk is only going to add more ussues.

Add in to the fact I can't be bothered getting up let person after person out early so they can go get a pint. It's bad enough for people leaving to get food. Up and door more than a lady of the nights knickers.
Well they weren't serving drink in the ground and it happened. I doubt one pint at half time is going to throw them over the edge.

Why do people on here always look at the worst scenario. It would work no problem.

Shouting at the boy to run the bus to get the driver to stop haha
Mind on the way back one day the driver was asked to stop as the boys wanted a cargo. "Cannae, need to get this bus back by 6 and its tight as it is"

Bus convener comes up and relays the news.

Then....a voice...."Haw Driver, if you don't stop you'll no have a bus tae take back."

Stopped in Stonehaven and ended up in a running battle up the main street! :)) :)) Happy days

It's a nope for me.

You are missing the point bud, there would be no booze sold during the game, it would strictly be pre and post match.

Couple of pints an hour before the game maybe and another couple after the game.

Im sure they could implement a system which would allow us to do this.

not sure if our kiosks have the facilities to serve alcohol,possibly could have pop up kiosks selling plastic bottled beer,

Every ground I have been at in England beer has been pish at least a week since last pint poured . Also not top grade beer being sold to a captive audience .

Mind on the way back one day the driver was asked to stop as the boys wanted a cargo. "Cannae, need to get this bus back by 6 and its tight as it is"

Bus convener comes up and relays the news.

Then....a voice...."Haw Driver, if you don't stop you'll no have a bus tae take back."

Stopped in Stonehaven and ended up in a running battle up the main street! :)) :)) Happy days
Hahahaha! The stuff we say when drunk, our old bus driver was class he would let us smoke down the front the lot as he smoked about 40 going up himself

You are missing the point bud, there would be no booze sold during the game, it would strictly be pre and post match.

Couple of pints an hour before the game maybe and another couple after the game.

Im sure they could implement a system which would allow us to do this.

I'm just going buy what happens in England, pre, half time and post game.

Having lived through the late 70s/early 80s I can’t see the police, or the licensing authorities, giving ground on this one.

Not when we are likely to still be told to socially distance for a while - last thing we need is even more pissed folks at games.

They sell beer in Holland but they call it festival beer which has an Alco content of 2.5%. makes you more piss than get pissed. Given that it is served in plastic cups then I prefer just to leave it and go for a good pint afterwards.

It should happen. The current rules are ridiculous, costs clubs money and only results in a mad rush to get to the game by a load of tanked up fans that hammer into it in the basis that they won’t get any more for a couple of hours.

Though logic and the SNP don’t align, so %^*& all will change.

Not even a fraction of half a chance of it happening. A huge percentage of the Scottish population simply can't moderate their alcohol intake, and can't regulate their own conduct while under the influence of it.

You only have to look at Kelvingrove Park on a sunny day to see the effects of alcohol on ordinary Scottish people, and you only need to look at Hampden Park a couple of seasons back to see how existential the propensity for major violence at football games still is.

Until Scotland is able to rid itself of our toxic relationship with alcohol, the status quo will remain, and the many will be punished for the actions of the few. Blaming the SNP is the ostrich syndrome, multiplied.

Just imagine sitting in your seat with a freezing cold beer.
Stop.....don’t imagine it as it’ll never happen sadly.
The minority would ruin it for the majority in no time.

Please no! It’s bad enough in an all seated stadium trying to watch a game with adults and kids constantly wanting to go to the toilet and food outlets and you’re up and down from your seat like a yo yo to let them pass, alcohol will just make it worse.

I go to games in England.

I prefer the pub before and after to the overpriced watery guff beer they sell in most grounds. Chang, Singa, coors and such garbage.

Would be good if it was a nice pint.

Having had a drink at quite a a few English grounds, I’d rather not. It tends to be lukewarm, overpriced crappy lager. Better off in a pub before and after, leave the grounds to shitey pies and Bovril. :cool:

I go to games in England.

I prefer the pub before and after to the overpriced watery guff beer they sell in most grounds. Chang, Singa, coors and such garbage.

Would be good if it was a nice pint.
Start following Tottenham and you'll get some nice craft beer freshly brewed in the ground :p

It should happen. The current rules are ridiculous, costs clubs money and only results in a mad rush to get to the game by a load of tanked up fans that hammer into it in the basis that they won’t get any more for a couple of hours.

Though logic and the SNP don’t align, so %^*& all will change.
Exactly allowing a beer or 2 in the stadium might mean less folk tanning vodka or buckie on the bus

Ffs, they only need to follow the English model, drink sold before game and at half time. Anyone who has attended EPL games can see it works perfectly well.
Absolutely mate. I went down to Blackburn for a chelsea game a few years back. Was in a pub at the away end of the ground, beer was rotten.

Decided to go in the ground and had a few in there. A lot better and never even bothered at half time. Not like you can take the drink to your seat.

Back