Alcohol at the football

Not even a fraction of half a chance of it happening. A huge percentage of the Scottish population simply can't moderate their alcohol intake, and can't regulate their own conduct while under the influence of it.

You only have to look at Kelvingrove Park on a sunny day to see the effects of alcohol on ordinary Scottish people, and you only need to look at Hampden Park a couple of seasons back to see how existential the propensity for major violence at football games still is.

Until Scotland is able to rid itself of our toxic relationship with alcohol, the status quo will remain, and the many will be punished for the actions of the few. Blaming the SNP is the ostrich syndrome, multiplied.
So ban all alcohol then champ? I've saw plenty folk at games in England smashed

Not a chance. %^*& my bus is bad enough on trips to aberdeen etc last thing they’ll want is us drinking more at HT
A watered down pint of beer at half time isn’t going to do anything.

If folk want to get steaming they will get steaming as you say before the game.

So ban all alcohol then champ? I've saw plenty folk at games in England smashed
Precisely, we constantly hear about Scotland's toxic relationship to alcohol which is hard to argue. However anyone who's spent a weekend in London, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool will know there's zero difference between them and us. As stated before English clubs manage with no problem whatsoever whilst we allow ourselves to be kept in the dark ages.

Despite all the self loathers on here I think it should come in to place.

People that think folk in cities like Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester etc dont like a bevy the same as us at the football are deluded.

There aren't battles on the pitch every week down there and there wouldn't be up here if we sold pints up till 2.50pm and at half time only. The turnstiles open at 1.30pm. Also you can't take drink beyond the concourse.

If they wanted they could not sell drink at high risk games, fine.

Nobody will be able to convince me that me having a couple of pints on the concourse in the Main Stand before Hamilton Accies at Ibrox is going to cause a riot.

I don’t think it would change how pissed people are by much, I don’t want it tho because the amount of times you would have to get up and let people out or have your view blocked by people in front doing that would be unbearable.

If you can't go a couple of hours without alcohol then I'd suggest the problem is with you, not the law.

You can't do that sort of thing temporarily and football supporters have proven time and again they can't be trusted with booze.

When we are all back in the grounds whenever that will be, could the government relax the rules on booze being sold pre and post match to the normal punter?

Given the dire financial circumstances of many clubs, this would be a guaranteed money spinner.

Would they consider it? Even on a temporary basis?

We have a dependency on alcohol culture.

I would enjoy a beer in the concourse before and at half time but I have been to many a game where there are wrecked men coming into the ground and falling asleep at the game. I only imagine this would increase.

It's really disappointing.

What kinda ned forks out a fiver for a pint? It's a disgrace that rugby fans can enjoy a pint while watching their sport but football fans cannot. Nothing but class snobbery from the devolved government.

No offence Alan but you should go to a Rugby game, Its good going and getting a beer.

No offence Alan but you should go to a Rugby game, Its good going and getting a beer.
I'm sure it's great but rugby just ain't my cup of lager... there's no reason there shouldn't be alcohol sold in the grounds, if people want to get legless for the football they are going to do it, we all know it. This could even stop people from funnelling copious amounts of booze down their neck on route to the game. It would be a great money spinner for clubs.

Absolutely no chance. Some of our young neds are bad enough taking every drug known to man in the toilets. Smoking too. does my heid in.
Perhaps, but don't kid yourself that this isn't happening up and down the whole of English football on a Saturday, yet there hasn't been any repercussions that I'm aware of.
Trips from/to London to Newcastle for example, I'm sure the 'neds' of those clubs partake in the odd bevvy or sniff of something too.
I think due to the income it could generate it is worth a go.
Gradually introduce it at games and if it's working, go for it.

We have a dependency on alcohol culture.

I would enjoy a beer in the concourse before and at half time but I have been to many a game where there are wrecked men coming into the ground and falling asleep at the game. I only imagine this would increase.

It's really disappointing.

They have to give it a trial run, as I have mentioned already, surely the majority that want a pint before the game would be able to enjoy one sensibly in the concourse.

I'm sure it's great but rugby just ain't my cup of lager... there's no reason there shouldn't be alcohol sold in the grounds, if people want to get legless for the football they are going to do it, we all know it. This could even stop people from funnelling copious amounts of booze down their neck on route to the game. It would be a great money spinner for clubs.

Dont disagree with the making money for the club.

It's the social aspect of it tho, it would be ruined by the minority. Look at the bloody toilets on a Saturday at 3.50, it's like walking into stars in your eyes. We have fans who cant even adhere to the smoking law that's been in place for nearly 15 years.

Perhaps, but don't kid yourself that this isn't happening up and down the whole of English football on a Saturday, yet there hasn't been any repercussions that I'm aware of.
Trips from/to London to Newcastle for example, I'm sure the 'neds' of those clubs partake in the odd bevvy or sniff of something too.
My match day routine used to be get to WRC about half one - always with intention to have a couple of pints but as you know you are going to go a few hours without a drink I'd always squeeze another pint or two in, if drink was sold in the ground I'd have the one, get to Ibrox have a pint pre match and half time, it would be far more relaxing, enjoyable and see £10 into the till at the club. That sounds ideal to me, yeah I'm looking at this from my perspective but I trust most people would be sensible.

Dont disagree with the making money for the club.

It's the social aspect of it tho, it would be ruined by the minority. Look at the bloody toilets on a Saturday at 3.50, it's like walking into stars in your eyes. We have fans who cant even adhere to the smoking law that's been in place for nearly 15 years.
If people want to get pissed they are going to do so, I doubt it would have any impact on intoxicated levels of punters in the stadium.

Wh
You are missing the point bud, there would be no booze sold during the game, it would strictly be pre and post match.

Couple of pints an hour before the game maybe and another couple after the game.

Im sure they could implement a system which would allow us to do this.
The post match pint thing has already happened. I went a few times for a pint in the Ibrox bar between Copland and Govan. Great having a beer looking out onto the pitch. Was a great way to pass some time to allow subway queue to subside
This was discontinued when the bar resorted back to a hospitality area

Last edited:
Make a system with a pre paid alcohol card. Each card can only buy 3 pints max on a match day. Alcohol can only be purchased pre match, half time and at full time. No alcohol taken to seats. Could work and make money for the club

You can barely get water and a cold fizzy Fanta at parts of our ground so I'm not holding out much hope for a beer lol
Favourite water related related story was Hoggy form H&H asking for water at Ibrox to be told “Waters aff mate”. Ibrox is the only time I drink fizzy juice and even then that’s a struggle.

Make a system with a pre paid alcohol card. Each card can only buy 3 pints max on a match day. Alcohol can only be purchased pre match, half time and at full time. No alcohol taken to seats. Could work and make money for the club
Was at a Newcastle game and they only allowed you to drink it in the concourse and it wasn’t even pints. Was plastic bottles of Stella and obscure cider etc.

Please no! It’s bad enough in an all seated stadium trying to watch a game with adults and kids constantly wanting to go to the toilet and food outlets and you’re up and down from your seat like a yo yo to let them pass, alcohol will just make it worse.
I sit in the corner at MFP and I feel awful for folk who sit beside me. Medication (I think) makes me need a p1ss a ridiculous amount. So constantly up and down. I’m always missing goals, Fredos v YB at home the most recent.

Not even a fraction of half a chance of it happening. A huge percentage of the Scottish population simply can't moderate their alcohol intake, and can't regulate their own conduct while under the influence of it.

You only have to look at Kelvingrove Park on a sunny day to see the effects of alcohol on ordinary Scottish people, and you only need to look at Hampden Park a couple of seasons back to see how existential the propensity for major violence at football games still is.

Until Scotland is able to rid itself of our toxic relationship with alcohol, the status quo will remain, and the many will be punished for the actions of the few. Blaming the SNP is the ostrich syndrome, multiplied.
People aren’t going to go into the stadium and drink 10 pints of expensive beer in plastic cups.

kkB0hkg.gif
Your memes have been great the last few days :))

As far I remember, the bars closed once the 2nd half got underway.

No reason, why we cant. We're not much different from england.

They don't close till well into the 2nd half.

Stood on the concourse and watched the last 20 minutes of a shite west brom v Sheffield wed with a pint in hand.

Some folk would get absolutely mortal, more so than when they are in the ground and it would end up just bad news all round.

News says they've had to shut Kelvingrove park entrances because people can't sit and have a quiet drink without causing bother. As much as I'd love this to happen .. it will never be allowed again in Scotland in my opinion.

That's what is embarrassing go to a match anywhere else in the world you can buy a drink .In Scotland no you can't do that lol cringworthy.

Yeah fair one. I think policing it would be a nightmare. What's more there's no way this current Scottish government or police would sanction it.

If it stops folk from taking drugs and sneaking in booze then absolutely. It’s only a pre match pint that you’d be having elsewhere anyway and one / two max at half time, not like you’ll be wasted is it. Then one at full time as you wait for your bus (again, that you’d probably be having elsewhere anyway)

In England, you can’t drink with sight of the ground and halftime is usually too short to queue for, buy, and then consume a pint unless you just down it. So you’re just drinking before and after games. It helps at those modern grounds where the nearest pub is miles away and is obviously an earner for the clubs but would probably duck into a proper pub, myself.

No and rightly so. Too many arseholes would ruin it and create bad press by getting carried away. Can see it coming a mile away

you’d also get people up and down every 5 mins wanting to go the toilet. %^*& that

surely people can go a few hours without a beer ffs

A mate of mine who follows Hull City couldn't believe it when I told him that you couldn't buy beer in Scottish stadiums. He just assumes and takes the option of purchasing beer at the football for granted, like all fans south of the border.

For all those who say no to the idea - firstly, it's exactly what the Scottish Govt want you to think because it means they don't need to bother their arse facilitating the issue and to allow clubs to make relatively easy extra money.

Secondly - and this is the crux of it for me - who really, really thinks football fans from Yorkshire, Newcastle, Liverpool etc enjoy drinking less at the football than Scots? Of course not.

Moreover, as others have already noted, the idea that thousands would end up getting wrecked beyond repair for drinking expensive watery pints for games v Hamilton or St Mirren is complete and utter nonsense.

Setting aside the default position for many on here, which is, to say no to so many things - why not give it a trial run? And if the result is herds of steaming rhinos running riot and ruining things for everyone, then fair enough.

If a vocal beer monster in Hull can (relatively speaking) contain himself and not act the cunt on 4% lager on a match day, then I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Scots can as well.

When we are all back in the grounds whenever that will be, could the government relax the rules on booze being sold pre and post match to the normal punter?

Given the dire financial circumstances of many clubs, this would be a guaranteed money spinner.

Would they consider it? Even on a temporary basis?
Not a chance. Football fans are treated worse than pedos in this country

The problem is that football fans of today are being judged on fans actions of 40 yeara ago.

Ive been to plently games down south including derby games and alcohol is still served in a controlled way. The only problem ive seen in a stadium was the 2016 Cup Final against Hibs

Scottish Football needs every penny it can get and no allowing drinks to be dispensed when a game of Rugby between Scotland & England at 60k is ok but a game between Killir & Hamilton for example at a 1/6th of that attendance are NOT allowed a pint.

Back